Laptop for XBMC? Good or not a good idea?
Amazon has some good deals on laptops with Intel i3 processors right now. Just wondering if people thought this might be a good device for an XBMC machine that is always on or are laptops not a good ideal in general? The other option I'm looking at is a desktop PC.

Thank you
If its only going to he used as a htpc then build one, but if you want a multipurpose machine then a laptop is a good idea. One thing to note is that I've read that some laptops aren't designed to be used with the lid closed die to overheating , so if its to be used only as a htpc it could be tricky to store near the TV.
Are you planning to connect to TV with this laptop?If so recommend a good hdmi ready card. If you connect to TV get a http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-IdeaCentre-...ni+desktop
Or android box. Android box cheapest and fastest way to go.
Seems a waste to buy a screen and keyboard that won't be needed. There are plenty of small computers using laptop sized components (and have laptop sized power consumption) - why add stuff you don't need at all like the screen and keyboard? And a battery for that matter.

The only good thing is that the battery acts like a basic UPS, but I have cut power many times to my HTPCs and very rarely have a problem. Also if the power goes off your TV probably doesn't have a UPS.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Laptop for XBMC? Good or not a good idea?0