Apple TV 1 or rasberry pi
Hi all,

I am looking for some advice, I currently have the gen 1 Apple TV, without the Broadcom upgrade.

My question is, which runs xbmc better. The Apple TV or the raspberry pi?

I am at a crossroads where I could go and purchase a pi or the updated card for the Apple TV.

Most of media is on a netgear nas and ideally I would like to just watch the shows for there without issues ( I know that sounds crazy right) but in all honesty in all my time I have never found a single device that rally does all that I want. And that is, I want to download my videos and watch the. On my tv and not have issues trying to do it( sounds like a pretty simple requirement to me)

Yeh so as my primary source is my nas, I don't have a preference for 1080p but it would be nice if possible as some of my library is 1080p

Also probably good to mention that I have never used xbmc before, but all signs look promising, as such I am trying to working out the best path for me

Your help is appreciated
Apple TV 1 with chrystal hd card and chrystalbuntu runs much more smoothly than the PI. They both do 1080P. I have both and feel like the apple tv is a little over twice as fast.
Hi,

Never tried with the pi but from i've read, the output in 1080p is not that smooth.

I've two appletv gen1 witht the Broadcom. XBMC runs ok-ish with openelec. I've tried the latest version (3.2.x) but i had to switch back into version 3.0.6. Launching an HD video (1080p stored on my nas) was way too slow in 3.2.x.

We are clearly at the end of this box but not bad for an investment that i made in 2007 and still using it for the price of a little upgrade.

I'm waiting to read feedbacks about the Cubox-i.

Ced
With my pi, I have no problems playing 1080p mkv from my NAS. However, launching local videos and internet video streams is more sluggish than my HTPC was, but it's truly not that bad and I'm happy to make that trade-off for silence and low power consumption.
I havn't tried the Apple TV, but my Raspberry PI plays 1080p perfectly.

I recently bought a new 512MB version for an other project, but to my surprise it performed much better than my other 512MB version that is only a few months old.
(2013-12-09, 15:42)Nu7s Wrote: I recently bought a new 512MB version for an other project, but to my surprise it performed much better than my other 512MB version that is only a few months old.

how is this possible? did they actually change something hardware-wise or are you just running a new software alongside some new peripherals?
HTPC LibreELEC 9.0 - Xperience1080+
RPi3 LibreELEC Milhouse build - Arctic Zephyr
(2013-12-09, 16:33)freem@n Wrote:
(2013-12-09, 15:42)Nu7s Wrote: I recently bought a new 512MB version for an other project, but to my surprise it performed much better than my other 512MB version that is only a few months old.

how is this possible? did they actually change something hardware-wise or are you just running a new software alongside some new peripherals?

I used the exact same sdcard, same connected devices and playing from the same source. Only way I can explain it is that the early 512MB versions weren't as stable or my previous RPI was defective.
I do believe you but I'm a bit confused. If I remember right I got my Pi in early '13 (February). does it belong to the good or the bad ones according to your experience? when did you buy your early model?
HTPC LibreELEC 9.0 - Xperience1080+
RPi3 LibreELEC Milhouse build - Arctic Zephyr
Overclocking at all?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple TV 1 or rasberry pi0