Please help me decide making/buying/building a box to run XBMC.
A bit of background. I have an ATV2, had XBMC on it but it died last month, I managed to fix it and restore it to the latest firmware. I could put XBMC back on it but I also like to have something that runs a bit faster/smoother, crashes less and does 1080p.

Which brings me to this, so I ask you kind people what are my options?

My first thought is to buy a Mac Mini, put XBMC on it, HDMI out to my Pioneer LX-55 and job done. But further research suggests I won't get full 5.1? Is that correct?

So if I am going to have to put windows in a Mac Mini, I might as well save some money and build a HTPC….which leads me to my second option.

What do I need? Ideally I want something that is totally and utterly silent and small like a Mac Mini. Budget would be £400.

Or is there a box that I can buy out there that I can just put XBMC on, like the ATV?
I know you aren't in the US, but something like this could work for you?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6859324024

Still needs RAM, and a hdd/etc unless you run OE/XBMC from a flash drive.

Is it a requirement for you to build a box with windows? Are you streaming from a NAS device, or are you only really using online plugins/etc?
Windows doesn't run great on the Celeron 847 but OpenELEC does.

How about the Lenovo Q190? Intel Celeron 1017U 1.6GHz Processor, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, LAN, WLAN, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-IdeaCentr...B00DPJZQBG
£261.11

There's also the i3-3217U Intel NUC (you will need to add a mSATA SSD and RAM)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-BOXDC3217B...B0093LINVK
£197.92

And the i5-3427U NUC
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-BOXDC53427...00C9KMNUO/
£311.98

Not sure if any of these are totally and utterly silent.
Currently I have a Drobo which has my media and work photographs on it, but I intend to separate my media from my work documents so recently have purchased a Netgear ReadyNas 104 and awaiting delivery of 4 x 3TB Western Digital Red drives to go in it.

So the XBMC box will access the NAS direct, and may even run Plex as well but that is another topic altogether. At the moment I am unsure what hardware I need to put XBMC on. I also just purchased a Logitech Smart so the box would need IR then I can access XBMC via the remote as oppose to mouse and keyboard.
(2013-12-05, 15:49)raymondlin Wrote: A bit of background. I have an ATV2, had XBMC on it but it died last month, I managed to fix it and restore it to the latest firmware. I could put XBMC back on it but I also like to have something that runs a bit faster/smoother, crashes less and does 1080p.

Which brings me to this, so I ask you kind people what are my options?

My first thought is to buy a Mac Mini, put XBMC on it, HDMI out to my Pioneer LX-55 and job done. But further research suggests I won't get full 5.1? Is that correct?

So if I am going to have to put windows in a Mac Mini, I might as well save some money and build a HTPC….which leads me to my second option.

What do I need? Ideally I want something that is totally and utterly silent and small like a Mac Mini. Budget would be £400.

Or is there a box that I can buy out there that I can just put XBMC on, like the ATV?

Actually, 5.1 works great on my Mac Mini. If I remember correctly it is DTS HD (7.1) which Apple does not support currently. You'll only get 5.1. I picked up mine from eBay at a reasonable price and haven't had any regrets. I do think that any system with Mavericks installed should be avoided and models with AMD gpu's are better than the Intel's (IMO).
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
Well, I was going to buy new with HE discount so it'll come to around £430, and why is Maverick to be avoided?

Can someone confirm that if I have a Mac Mini, with XBMC installed, that it can output 5.1 through HDMI ? I don't need 7.1 as I haven't installed a 7.1 sound system…but I could….which is another topic!
(2013-12-05, 17:59)raymondlin Wrote: Well, I was going to buy new with HE discount so it'll come to around £430, and why is Maverick to be avoided?

Can someone confirm that if I have a Mac Mini, with XBMC installed, that it can output 5.1 through HDMI ? I don't need 7.1 as I haven't installed a 7.1 sound system…but I could….which is another topic!

Frodo 12.2 is not currently completely compatible with Mavericks, you have to use either Frodo 12.3 beta or one of the Gotham nightly builds. This is temporary of course. I am currently using Moutain Lion on my Mini.

HDMI out works great. My setup has my Mini connected to an Onkyo A/V receiver via HDMI and then to Plasma TV also HDMI.
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
Thanks, I guess I can wait until next build of XBMC before purchasing.

I could get a NUC but I am note sure that would be any cheaper after SSD, ram and windows.
(2013-12-05, 16:48)00b5 Wrote: I know you aren't in the US, but something like this could work for you?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6859324024

Still needs RAM, and a hdd/etc unless you run OE/XBMC from a flash drive.

Is it a requirement for you to build a box with windows? Are you streaming from a NAS device, or are you only really using online plugins/etc?

I just bought the dang NUC with the 847, DANG IT!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Please help me decide making/buying/building a box to run XBMC.0