Is it worth rooting Ouya if I don't care about Google Play?
I pretty much just want to use my Ouya for emulators/roms and XBMC.. is it worth the hassles of rooting the Ouya? I know it doesn't take much to root it, but seems like you have to manually update it from another site every time an update does come out.
"Worth it" is relative. I use mine for Slingbox, watchESPN, droidmote app as my ouya remote, and other apps. I also use the remote launcher to start XBMC (useful in the event of a crash) from my phone and that may or may not require root. I also needed root to mount a Samba share so my downloads go directly to my NAS.
So all those you mentioned requires root?
I don't exactly remember. I do know that cifs support for a Samba share mount requires root. I think the alternative app stores require root but don't quote me.
Problem is the next time ouya sends an update you lose your root and you have to do it again. Which as of late is about every week and a half or so with updates.
(2013-12-07, 09:06)ilovemymac Wrote: Problem is the next time ouya sends an update you lose your root and you have to do it again. Which as of late is about every week and a half or so with updates.

I've never had to re-root either of mine. I've had them since they launched.
(2013-12-07, 09:06)ilovemymac Wrote: Problem is the next time ouya sends an update you lose your root and you have to do it again. Which as of late is about every week and a half or so with updates.

Yea, thats exactly what I was afraid of. I just want the Ouya for Rom/Emulation games and XBMC and not mess with the other stuff.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is it worth rooting Ouya if I don't care about Google Play?0