I can't find the log file
Hi,

I know this is very basic, but I am trying to find the log file in xbmcbuntu, but I can't find it. The wiki says that it should be at

$HOME/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log

but I see no folder named $HOME when I SFTP into my HTPC.

What should I do?

Thanks a lot,

dekox

EDIT: here is what I see in the root folder: http://imgur.com/LkE2Wew
In Linux $HOME is an environment variable pointing to the specific users home directory. Its not a directory called $HOME.

If you SSH into the unit using the same username XBMC is running under and type
echo $HOME
This will return the home directory. Follow on to .xbmc etc from there.

The home directory varies from linux disto but can normally be found at /home/whatevertheloginnameis
$HOME would normally be the directory you find yourself in once you've connected. Failing that, the cd command with no arguments should take you there at a shell prompt.

Otherwise, if you're sticking with SFTP, then yes - cd home, cd <yourname>, cd .xbmc, cd temp, get xbmc.log
Thanks a lot. I found it.

For some reason, when I go to /home/user I don't see the .xbmc folder in cyberduck.

I instead had to manually go to the path /home/user/.xbmc using Go-->Go to folder from the menu.

No idea why but I hope this can help somebody else
.xbmc is a hidden directory, that is what the . in .xbmc means, so no you won't see it by default. You can get to see it with ls -a
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I can't find the log file0