Rebuild with Upgrades
Hello all,

I've been doing way too much research lately on possible upgrades and such to my htpc to the point, I've complicated things way too much. The htpc I'm using is described below. The outcome I'm hoping for is listed below. Looking back, all the parts were purchased in 2008 and have served well without any flaws for this long. I've many attempts at getting xbmc working only to have stumbling blocks with the HDHomerun side of things.

Objective of New or Upgraded HTPC
HAVE SKYPE RUNNING - Connected with a Logitech Orbit AF (Very Important-Wife Mandated)
Run Linux OS - which flavor would be best?
Able to dl torrents
Occasional Websurfing
Remote Controlled with Android Phone
Play DVD or Blu-Ray
Retrieve TV Schedule from Schedulesdirect
Be easy to use (wife's number 1 priority, point, click, watch.)
The HDHomerun isn't the easiest to pair with Linux in my opinion. I'm not against getting a Haugpauge card to replace this.
The overall goal is to have a complete package with very maintenance after initial setup.

Current HTPC
Generic full ATX Case
Motherboard - MSI K9A2 Platinum AM2=+/AM2 790FX ATX Board Specs
Processor - AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ AM2 65w Dual-Core Black Edition
Memory - Corsair XMS2 4gb 240-pin DDR2 800 pc2 6400 (4 stick for 8g total)
Video -Geforce 8500GT Pcie 256MB GDR2 3PORT Dvi Tv Out HDmi Passive Cool
DVD - Lite-On 20x DVD+-R IDE Drive
Power Supply - Linkworld 630w ATX 12v
Capture Card - HDHomerun Dual HDHomerun
Hard Drive for OS - Sata drive that was removed from a Charter Cable Box
Home Network - Linksys WRT54g (I know this could be upgraded as well to push more than 54mbs over the wifi, but that is a different project.
USB Backup Drive - Seagate 2tb Backup Drive
Raspberry Pi - 512 Model B

Ive looked at just minimally upgrading to the Haugpauge 2250 dual card and installing a 64g ssd drive. Id like to see what some other options would be.

Both Tele have hdmi inputs
The Main Tele which the HTPC connects to has a vizio 5.1 channel bar with Bluetooth sub and 2 speakers off the sub connected

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Rebuild with Upgrades0