Linux, video frequency problem. banding? maybe video card recco thread?
Brick 
I put together one box and was planing on using a i3, but decided to make an intermediary one now with an old P4 i had...

it is all working perfectly, except for a noticeable video refresh problem. It drives me and a few people crazy, but two others swear they can't see it... anyway, it is there :/

It shows a banding going down on the screen on fast scenes. perfectly fine on anything that is not action where the whole screen changes. I find it so distracting that i am only watching netflix via the wii just so i don't have to see it.

I'm outputing via VGA to my plasma TV, which have a VGA in. but I also outputted via DVI-D->HDMI and the same thing happens.

The card I am using is a geForce2 gtx something (will get the exact model and edit this)

I'm thinking of either biting the bullet and getting a new mother board + i3, or scrounging craigslist/ebay/newegg for a $20ish video card that will give me decent video out via VGA or HDMI. I don't care about audio via HDMI as i will be outputing 2.0 (mobo supports 5.1, but too much work, encoders, wires. nah.) audio to dumb amps.

This is the mobo i am using https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5GPLX...ifications

Any suggestions on what i should do to get rid of that? it is the only thing bothering me. sound is ok. i can capture 2 channels to HDD while watch a mp4 just fine. there is nothing bothering me to upgrade now besides this.

oh, and i am using the opensource linux drivers on untainted debian... i have a thing against binary blobs... i read a lot about this and i reached the conclusion that this should only affect 3D... but please do tell me if i'm wrong here.
What source material are you seeing this on?

Sounds like it could be either tearing or de-interlacing artefacts.

Tearing is where you see what looks like the top portion of the picture is from one frame and the bottom half from another (there can be a number of reasons for this - but "tearing" might be a good keyword to search for?), with a line dividing them. This can be related to v-sync issues or compositing settings in X ISTR - though I'm not an expert.

If you see wobbly edges or fine lines on moving content then that is the hallmarks of de-interlacing not being done properly (the banding happens when scaling is introduced prior to de-interlacing)

My first suggestion for anyone having issues with a set-up is to try running a USB Live stick with OpenElec on it. OpenElec avoids a lot of the issues you can meet when running XBMC within a standard distro.
Thanks, i will give openelec a try.

Thanks to your keyword suggestion i found this http://www.avsforum.com/t/1065480/ati-ra...o-playback

it does not have any useful info, but has a picture Smile I am not sure it is the same as OP on that thread, because i really only get this when there is a fast change of the entire image on the screen. even if something is moving fast but only on a small region, i get decent fluid video. Also, i am sure i am outputing on the same frequency as the TV mentions i should 60hz. lame. i know.

I am thinking i am not getting all the 2D video accl i need for 720p output. but that thread suggests that buying a top of the line card will not help. damn 3D games >:/

---
crazy idea, i will try to get a scope and attach to the green signal of the video card and see if scenes where everything moves, the frequency drops.... or is this a crazy idea altogether? maybe it simply can't keep up? maybe it is underpowered? ...it is a real 300+W PSU for a ancient system... but P4s and old nvidias are know to be hungry
(2013-12-08, 01:36)gcb0 Wrote: I put together one box and was planing on using a i3, but decided to make an intermediary one now with an old P4 i had...

it is all working perfectly, except for a noticeable video refresh problem. It drives me and a few people crazy, but two others swear they can't see it... anyway, it is there :/

It shows a banding going down on the screen on fast scenes. perfectly fine on anything that is not action where the whole screen changes. I find it so distracting that i am only watching netflix via the wii just so i don't have to see it.

I'm outputing via VGA to my plasma TV, which have a VGA in. but I also outputted via DVI-D->HDMI and the same thing happens.

The card I am using is a geForce2 gtx something (will get the exact model and edit this)

I'm thinking of either biting the bullet and getting a new mother board + i3, or scrounging craigslist/ebay/newegg for a $20ish video card that will give me decent video out via VGA or HDMI. I don't care about audio via HDMI as i will be outputing 2.0 (mobo supports 5.1, but too much work, encoders, wires. nah.) audio to dumb amps.

This is the mobo i am using https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5GPLX...ifications

Any suggestions on what i should do to get rid of that? it is the only thing bothering me. sound is ok. i can capture 2 channels to HDD while watch a mp4 just fine. there is nothing bothering me to upgrade now besides this.

oh, and i am using the opensource linux drivers on untainted debian... i have a thing against binary blobs... i read a lot about this and i reached the conclusion that this should only affect 3D... but please do tell me if i'm wrong here.
You are very wrong, but I am still unclear what video card you have so hard to advise. Suffice to say if you have an nvidia card capable of vdpau and nvidia binary drivers and use hdmi, a p4 machine will do just fine. So tell us your card?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-12-08, 04:14)nickr Wrote: if you have an nvidia card capable of vdpau and nvidia binary drivers and use hdmi, a p4 machine will do just fine. So tell us your card?

do i have any chance to have fluid video out if not using the binary drivers?

the label on the card says: 7300GT256MB 128bit GDDR2, ZO73GT-D
Well for a start that card doesn't support VDPAU, the nvidia video acceleration API.

If you want to use that machine get something like a PCIe Nvidia GT610 card, they make some fanless ones.

And install the binary drivers. You need them to get video acceleration.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-12-08, 06:19)nickr Wrote: Well for a start that card doesn't support VDPAU, the nvidia video acceleration API.

If you want to use that machine get something like a PCIe Nvidia GT610 card, they make some fanless ones.

And install the binary drivers. You need them to get video acceleration.

thanks will look for one of those...

alternatively, do i have any chance with a non-nvidia card/chipset to keep my system untainted?
Intel have open source drivers I think, but I have never seen a graphics card that gives as good a result as nvidias do, or where the drivers are as mature.

Do intel even make discrete video cards? I dunno.

Avoid AMD/ATi.

EDIT: to add, there is some vdpau support in the open source (MIT licensed) nouveau driver, but it requires firmware extracted from the binary driver.

http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/VideoAcceleration/

I know Stallman thinks closed source firmware is OK but binary blob drivers aren't, so you may consider such an arrangement to be "untainted". I did try to discuss this with Stallman once, but it is difficult to have a debate in question time during a public lecture.
(2013-12-08, 10:54)nickr Wrote: Intel have open source drivers I think, but I have never seen a graphics card that gives as good a result as nvidias do, or where the drivers are as mature.

Do intel even make discrete video cards? I dunno.

Avoid AMD/ATi.

EDIT: to add, there is some vdpau support in the open source (MIT licensed) nouveau driver, but it requires firmware extracted from the binary driver.

http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/VideoAcceleration/

I know Stallman thinks closed source firmware is OK but binary blob drivers aren't, so you may consider such an arrangement to be "untainted". I did try to discuss this with Stallman once, but it is difficult to have a debate in question time during a public lecture.

I was thinking about using HD4000 integrated GPU from intel. I am using it on my desktop and video seems to not suffer from the same artifacts, with no binary blob drivers... i think i will just move this computer to the TV and make the other one become a dumb terminal...

yeah, hehe, stallman is something else. I mostly like to use all open source because i think this is the way to go. and if someone is working on the open source driver, i can live with some banding while helping them fix that. i know I'd be pissed if people used a lousy commercial alternative instead of helping the projects i contribute to with bug reports Smile

the archwiki claims the xf86-video-ati is garbage for 3d but excellent for 2d... i think i will buy a $20 card just to test and report back

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI

maybe this one if it supports XVBA?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...0600&cm_sp=
If you want to use AMD/ATi then this is the thread you need to read.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=174854

Don't say I didn't warn you.

AMD may be improving their Open Source driver support, but the results still don't seem to be as good or as accessible.

I wholeheartedly agree with you regarding the desirability of Open Source drivers, however when it comes to watching movies/tv I want the best. The best is provided by the nVidia closed source driver, so I compromise.

The nouveau driver meets the Stallman test of [driver open/closed firmware OK], so you could try that I guess.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Linux, video frequency problem. banding? maybe video card recco thread?0