Live TV / performance
First, thanks for this project. I am just starting to get into the whole world of PVRs and this project appears to be on track with what I was looking to accomplish.

I have the serverWMC running.
I have the PVR client running (and connects fine, pulls EPG and lets me watch channels).

No problems.

What I was wondering is about the performance of the channel selection. I've read you are basically remuxing the WMC format to TS format for streaming? If that is correct, I was thinking that if the tuners were able to stream directly, then requests to stream a channel could be "relayed" to the tuner itself. I realize that not all tuners can do this, but HDHomeRun for example can. What this would mean, at least to my thinking, is there is no need to do any remuxing at all .. just pass the stream info back to the PVR client. Of course, other stuff would need to be done .. like find available tuner, lock/release tuner.

Does this sound like a viable optimization/customization that serverWMC could implement? Something like an option "Direct Streamable Tuners?" .. if yes, then do not ask WMC to do the work, but rather just relay that stream from the tuner directly. I have to believe this makes the overall performance of channel switching/startup much faster as it eliminates WMC from the picture under that situation. Recording would still go to WMC ... just live tv streaming requests.
Hello Jeckels,

I've deleted my previous post as I misinterpreted yours.

Best regards,
Ian
It could possibly be implemented, but I don't think the performance increase will be as great as you think. Remux to ts is very fast, and on the serverwmc side the biggest delay is due to acquiring and starting the tuner. Getting the ts stream going is around a half second or less.

The other big delay when switching channels comes from xbmc itself and some stream analysis it does before it will start playing the stream. This analysis can be turned off by using special builds of xbmc (see margro build).

Lastly by design, this software leaves all the hardware specifics to wmc. In that way we try to make sure we work with every piece of hardware wmc works with (disclaimer about drm goes here). Treating one tuner differently would greatly complicate the software.
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc
Thanks for the reply. Was just a thought.

I've spent this weekend trying to get mythTV working, which has proven to be quite a challenge.

I already have WMC working, and use that day-to-day.

When the dev team gets an android version of this rolling, I will be all over it, because I hate my cable company's STB :-)
Yeah, android has become our 'holy grail'. We have had some leads, but so far they have only been grail shaped.
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Live TV / performance0