Need to Purchase a Pre-built HTPC
I had an old AOPEN brand HTPC that I was running win7 on that just died. I need to purchase something new. I have a Hauppauge 2250 dual tuner card (half size) that I used in the AOPEN to pick up cable signal. I'm guessing it's still usable in what's out today. I have a couple 2MB memory chips that I can transfer over. I have large harddrives that I plan on using with an external USB HDD docking station (seen here)

I've done a lot of reading on the forums and am interested in using xbmc. I'm a windows a guy, so I'd like win7 or 8.

I've looked into the Lenovo q190. I'm very interested in the one with the disk drive. But I'm curious why it doesn't have a 2x Celeron in it, or - at least - I'm not reading that it does. Plus, I can't use my Hauppauge 2250. How else might I get the tuner? A USB one, I guess?

I guess, I'm looking for something that will accept the docking station, uses windows, that my RAM chips and Hauppauge tuner can go in, but just don't know where to go.

Thanks for the suggestions. (Not interested in building my own, BTW.)

I like the small units, but I want them to be able to handle burning disks and converting formats in a speedy timeframe.
You'll have a hard time finding HTPC's in the form of old school desktop PC's with expansion slots from mainstream PC sellers, they are a niche product pre-built to begin with. Most people just buy a full size HTPC case from the likes of Silverstone or Coolermaster and stick a off the shelf motherboard in it.

What you could do is buy a business computer like the Dell Optiplex 3010 for $469, the smallest unit is not too big and it should be quiet plus it has two half height PCI-e slots, DVD drive, Windows 7 or 8 pre-installed
If you want to use your own RAM and tuner, I think you're looking for a barebones, correct?

Can you be specific about what memory you already have? I am assuming 2MB is a typo and you mean 2GB.

Also, what's your budget? You need an optical drive -- Blu-ray, correct? Do you need wireless? An SSD for the operating system? Windows already installed (though you have the RAM)?
Oops! Yes, it's 2gb. I know that some of the mini's are expandable, so I thought I could add a little something to them with what I already have. Not really looking into a barebones. But I didn't know if there was something I could put my hauppauge 2250 in, unless there's something better now.

What about the lenovo q190 that comes with a dvdrw. I've seen a couple but more so without the odd. Why? Are they problematic?
You can't fit your tuner in a Lenovo Q190. Most mini-ITX based builds will only have 2 RAM slots so if you're not looking for a barebones but a full PC, the RAM will already come with it. Your RAM might also not be compatible. You haven't said what type of RAM it is -- desktop? laptop? DDR2? DDR3? What speed?
it's those laptop rams that are like 2 1/5 inches long.
I think the hardest issue for you will be your need to use your own memory. It will make it hard to have a system built for you, especially without the memory brand/size information. If you can forego needing to use your own memory, it would be easy to put together a system for you.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need to Purchase a Pre-built HTPC0