A quick look over my build
Hi Folks,

I first used XBMC in its iteration on the XBOX and ever since then have wanted to build a full HTPC. Well I finally have the budget now and was wondering if you good folks could look it over and let me know of any red flags? Specifically (note: I intend to use OpenElec and use the CIR header using the Inteset receiver) :
  • Am I going to have issues in Linux with the AMD drivers (DTS, Dolby etc over HDMI)?
  • Will this setup be enough to play animated HI10P files?
  • Is there going to be issues with the ASRock CIR drivers in Linux/OpenElec?
  • Is there going to be issues with the refresh rate?
I am not expecting an answer to all these questions from one person but if you could answer even some that would be great! I have been using Debian since Woody so I have some linux background and have had to compile my kernel before so I have some rudimentary understanding of the OS so I am hoping to have less issue there but still possible as I am not an expert by any means.

Would you suggest any changes either? I have tried to pick as many parts as I can pickup locally to avoid shipping costs, the only thing I couldn't find was the motherboard which I'll have to get from NCIX.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD A6-5400K 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor ($64.99)
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A85X Extreme4-M Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard ($109.99)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.88)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 60GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Fractal Design Node 605 HTPC Case ($149.99)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99)
IR Receiver: ASRock Internal CIR Receiver with Plexiglass Window and Shipping ($30.00)
Total: $474.84
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-10 09:29 EST-0500)

I also have an ECS (Thin Mini ITX board because its the only Haswell ready board with CIR support) build ready with an Intel Processor if needed:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($119.99)
Motherboard: ECS H87H3-TI (1.0) Thin Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($114.99)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($41.99)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 2 60GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Fractal Design Node 605 HTPC Case ($149.99)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99)
IR Receiver: ECS Internal CIR Receiver with Plexiglass Window and Shipping ($30.00)
Total: $506.95
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-10 09:56 EST-0500)

Also if this is the wrong place to post please let me know and my apologies in advance!
Nice builds. Couple of minor points/questions:
- 8GB RAM on Linux? Are you doing anything besides running XBMC?
- Node 605...nice case, but pricey. Considered anything cheaper/smaller, perhaps the Silverstone ML04? Not sure you'd need a semi-modular PSU with a case of that size, the standard CX430 should work just fine
- Pricey mobos...needed for CIR?
So on the Intel build its 4GB and 8 on the and because other places I've read that RAM makes a difference with the APU. The M04 looks good I will switch it out and replace with a CX430 that should bring the cost down.

Yeah the MB is for the CIR. I would really like to be able to use my existing Yamaha sound system's universal controller. I've see the external ones but it all seems hit and miss without CIR. I'm just hoping that this CIR has drivers in Linux.
With your thin mini-ITX build all you need is a 19V AC adapter. You don't need a PSU. There's already DC-DC PSU built into the motherboard. That makes life pretty easy. You can get a blanking plate for where a regular PSU would have gone.
It's mostly (if not exclusively) RAM speed that makes a difference for the APU.

If you run OpenELEC, you'll consume < 512 MB most of the time, 720p/1080p playback.
* MikroTik RB5009UG+S+IN :: ZyXEL GS1900-8HP v1 :: EAP615-Wall v1 :: Netgear GS108T v3 running OpenWrt 23.05
* LibreELEC 11:  HTPC Gigabyte Brix GB-BXA8-5545 with CEC adapter, Sony XR-64A84K :: Desktop AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 6700XT  / 27" Dell U2717D QHD
* Debian Bookworm x86_64: Celeron G1610, NFS/MariaDB/ZFS server
* Blog
What Dougie said. Then you can downsize to a (thin?) mini ITX case. If you like the ML04, then look at the Silverstone ML05. There are also thin-mini ITX cases out there that may be a better fit since you don't need to allocate space for a PSU.

Then consider a celeron or pentium chip if you don't plan on doing any 3D anytime soon. More $$ saved, no loss of functionality.
Thanks guys, sounds good, so I think the RAM I'll downgrade to 4GB and consider the AC adapter but for now I have a power supply sitting around for testing purposes. I do like the idea of using the Pico PSU even if I have to buy it for less fan noise. I'm okay spending the cash to get a good setup once I can confirm the CIR works in Linux.

As for the case, I like the ML04's looks so I might stick with that. Just the aesthetic is good and that's somewhat important for a living room accessory. I've been looking at other builds using this case and have some ideas on how to improve given that I have no intention of using an optical drive. I'm thinking adding a card reader and mounting the SSD there instead of the bracket provided. One of the builds I saw that using a micro atx board and the HDD mounting bracket kind of caused wiring issues. I'll see when I get it though.

I'll basically order the motherboard (ECS first) and use existing parts to test the CIR, and if that doesn't work, go to ASRock and then as a last effort I will windows on the ECS and finally Windows on the ASRock if I have to. It all depends on the CIR working (really hope it works!). I think I'm leaning towards the Intel Haswell build for lower power draw on the proc, good refresh rate matching and to avoid the audio issues in fusion chips that I've been reading over. I also don't want to try the celeron because I expect some issues with HI10P files that will require software decoding, and the internal GPU for the i3 is nice for the small difference in price.

It looks like this ( http://pcpartpicker.com/part/ecs-motherboard-b85h3m310) motherboard might be what I try first. Its half the price and still has the CIR, it also means I can use regular RAM for testing. The CIR is a 5pin like ASRock and I talked with Jim at Inteset and he was willing to send me an IR receiver for this one. They use an ITK module for the CIR so I hope Linux has support for that. I've emailed ECS inquiring about the exact model number as LIRC does list a few models from ITK supported but I can't tell which is the exact one on the board. I tried downloading the windows drivers from ECS' site but it refers to multiple models too.

Thanks again for all the advice folks! Any tips on the CIR would be very welcome.
I know some of the Intel thin mini-ITX motherboard have the ability to use an ATX PSU but I don't see that on the ECS thin mini-ITX motherboard. You have to use a 19V AC adapter to power it.

http://download.ecs.com.tw/dlfileecs/MAN...20high.pdf

Table of Motherboard Components

1. CPU Socket LGA1150 socket for Intel® 4th Generation CoreTM Family Processors
2. F_USB Front panel USB 2.0 header
3. PCIE1~2
Mini PCI Express slots (mini PCIe1 (full-card) supports extension cards with SATA
signal, USB signal and PCIe signal, and mini PCIe2 (half-card) supports extension
cards with PCIe signal & USB signal.)
4. DMIC Digital microphone header (For All-In-One Specification)
5. SPKR 2 Channels audio speaker header (For All-In-One Specification)
6. F_AUDIO Front panel audio header
7. CLR_CMOS Clear CMOS jumper
8. ME_UNLOCK Me unlock header
9. CASE Case open header
10. SODIMM1~2 204-pin DDR3 SDRAM SO-DIMMs
11. SATA_PWR SATA power connector
12. USB3F Front panel USB 3.0 header
13. SATA1~2 Serial ATA 6Gb/s connectors
14. SYS_FAN 4-pin system cooling fan connector with smart fan function
15. CPU_FAN 4-pin CPU cooling fan connector with smart fan function
16. CIR Consumer infrared header
17. F_PANEL Front panel switch/LED header
18. USB_TP 5-pin USB 2.0 header supports one USB 2.0 device
19. LVDS LVDS connector (For All-In-One Specification)
20. MON_SW LVDS brightness switch header (For All-In-One Specification)
21. DISP_BRT LVDS brightness control header (For All-In-One Specification)
22. BZ Buzzer header
23. LCD_SEL LCD panel select jumper (For All-In-One Specification)
24. USB_CR_CAM 10-pin USB 2.0 header supports card reader and camera or other USB 2.0 device

The H61H2-TI is the same (have one in my hands right now).
Thanks Dougie! That's good to know, so I will need an adapter.

Does the H61H2-TI have a 5pin CIR header (including one empty)? Is the CIR and ITK module? Any luck getting it to work on Linux?

I know you may not have tried it yet, but if you know then that would save a lot of guess work for me and I would be very grateful Smile
I don't have a ECS CIR receiver to try but yes it has the same CIR module.
For any soul come searching on this motherboard - yes that motherboard's IR reciever is supported in OpenElec (full S5 power off/on) - I did have to get the guys at Inteset to build a specific IR module as the pins are the same in number to the ASUS boards but in different order.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
A quick look over my build0