Multiple drives in one library?
Right, first time poster in this forum after I cannot find the answer i'm looking for. Basically my hdd that is inside of my computer is full so I had to get an external HDD to carry on transferring movies onto there, there are 20 films or so on my external HDD now BUT on my actual xbmc application on the main menu I have "movies" which contains 201 movies, the movies are from a folder on my desktop entitled "movies" that are saved onto my internal hdd. As far as I can tell I cannot also add the movies from my external hdd to the main menu icon on xbmc that says "movies". I think i'm looking to add another source for my movies folder on xbmc basically so I can have more than one source that movies are getting added from.

As far as reading back on this post I am extremely bad at explaining things, if anybody could shed light on this problem though i'd greatly appreciate it.

I am using the aeon nox skin if that is any help to anyone.
Yes I'm not quite sure what problem you're having other than storage, so with that in mind I'll pass along some tips etc. and hopefully I'll have elucidated well enough that the information I provide will be sufficient to answer your questions and concerns.

Simply adding another movie 'source' within XBMC using add source should allow you to point at the new drive letter (and sub folders if you have them), configure your scraper and you're good to go. Using windows O/S 7 & 8 under 'libraries' (not to be confused with XBMC libraries) under a 'movie folder' you can have multiple folders, so all areas show up (great for maintenance) but has nothing to do with the program. XBMC launches from an icon on your desktop, and has within a built-up library of your movies from the source you're specified previously. If the path to those movies is intact, then all is good. You can change paths to external drive(s) or just add them to an existing collection, but you will have to re-scan any new source, and if you are just moving (not just copying) some of the movies to the new drive, it will appear in the library as if you have two listings for those movies you have moved (a system clean-up will clear-out those duplicates). If you decided to move most movies to this new external drive, it would be wise to export your library in settings/video to separate files which will allow for a re-scan locally (quickly doesn't need to exit to the web for the same data).

In eventuality If you intend a large collection, it might be a good idea to use sub folders within the movie folder so that you're not dealing with 1000 movies in one directory listing, it would take too much time to read and make XBMC appear sluggish. Just listing a directory in windows should give you a clue as to how many files can be in a folder and still have quick response.

So you've added an external HDD to a windows system (I'll assume USB connection) and you now have a new device drive letter auto-configured. Using windows you should see something like drive C: and Drive D: great, but not all is perfect for windows plays musical chairs with your drive letter if you should boot with more than one external device (e.g. USB stick) then your drive letter might be labelled F: instead of D: which for most PC users would not mean a lot; but for the XBMC library your path to the files might not be available. The solution here is to watch what drives are plugged in on boot and try and keep this drive letter assignment the same.

I find the Wiki's on the top of this page invaluable information http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Fir...Installing
Here's another from an outside source http://lifehacker.com/5536963/the-ultima...dia-center
I posted yesterday but had no successful replies and not quite sure how this forum works, I may of worded my post yesterday completely wrong aswell.

what I am basically looking to do is merge 2 drives into one XBMC library. I have a lot of movies both on separate drives as there isn't enough space one the one drive for them and I wanted to be able to go onto XBMC and click on "movies" and see all my movies on there from both drives. I've seen that this is possible to do but I can't seem to get it to work from XML and by clicking add source, maybe I am doing it wrong? Can anybody point me in the direction of a step-by-step guide or possibly explain it to me in further detail?

One drive is internal and the other drive is external via usb if that helps. Local disk being C: and external being E:
See Adding_videos_to_the_library/Adding_media_sources (wiki)
Btw, I've just checked and you did get a reply so merging threads.
I guess merging drives is as easy as merging threads, it's done automagically.
figured it out now guys, had to uninstall and reinstall, thankyou

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Multiple drives in one library?0