xbmc incar entertainment- wifi hard drive?
I bought my kids Nook HD+ tablets and now I think I want to have a way for them to watch movies while on the go. The goflex looks interesting, but I already have a spare Pi that I am not using. Will XBMC run on the Nook HD+?

Guess I am going to have to decide on Pi server or goflex with custom firmware.

Is there a way to use tasker for android to switch libraries(car versus home)?
TV Mosaic on Windows 10 as PVR Backend |  1 RaspberryPI 3 Client (LibreElec) | Amazon FireTV box | 5 Amazon FireTV sticks | FireTV Cube | 2 Nvidia Shield TV
Tuners: HD HomeRun 4 ATSC (OTA) | IPTV
(2013-12-19, 18:49)w84no1 Wrote: I bought my kids Nook HD+ tablets and now I think I want to have a way for them to watch movies while on the go. The goflex looks interesting, but I already have a spare Pi that I am not using. Will XBMC run on the Nook HD+?

Guess I am going to have to decide on Pi server or goflex with custom firmware.

Is there a way to use tasker for android to switch libraries(car versus home)?

I have a Nook HD tablet, which is the smaller version of the HD+. I rooted it and installed CyanogenMod. The latest Gotham builds seem to run well on it, at least with my media which is almost exclusively high definition MKV. It won't play 1080i Live TV though (MPEG2), but I think that's more of an Android decoder limitation than anything else.

Btw, this drive arrived yesterday and earlier today I applied the $35 hack software. It's really pretty cool and the samba shares seem to work great with XBMC. I'm also optimistic that this device might help solve the "Chromecast in a hotel" problem, since it creates its own network but can also simultaneously join another network and pass through the internet. The hack software is important. Without it I probably would have returned the drive. The stock firmware is pretty awful.

(2013-12-19, 18:49)w84no1 Wrote: Is there a way to use tasker for android to switch libraries(car versus home)?

That is a really cool idea. I purchased Tasker a while ago. I'm going to look into this.
I broke down and bought a Goflex Satellite :D
I guessi am going to buy one and use the extra Pi for some other project.
TV Mosaic on Windows 10 as PVR Backend |  1 RaspberryPI 3 Client (LibreElec) | Amazon FireTV box | 5 Amazon FireTV sticks | FireTV Cube | 2 Nvidia Shield TV
Just to add - the goflex streams everything I throw at my iPad mini - inc 1080p mkv's :-)
(2013-12-12, 17:36)T800 Wrote: I have a Nexus 7 installed on my dashboard and it's great for music although I rarely use XBMC on it. It's too small to navigate whilst on the go.
Pictures of this would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, the description on Amazon, for the Seagate, says "compact car charger included".
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
That's correct. It comes with s small modular car charger.

I was showing this to some friends of mine here at work (we're in the software business). I have the Goflex hosting the media and creating the wireless network. The Nook HD has XBMC installed and is used for playback of media stored on the Goflex. And my HTC One is on the same network and runs Yatse as a remote control for the Nook. It worked flawlessly. That's how I plan to configure it for the kids in the car (along with a jailbroken iPad for the second kid).
Does the hacked firmware allow more than 3 connections like the regular firmware? I have 3 Nook HD+s and I want to connect my note 2, also.
(2013-12-20, 21:05)w84no1 Wrote: Does the hacked firmware allow more than 3 connections like the regular firmware? I have 3 Nook HD+s and I want to connect my note 2, also.

I think I read that the 3 device restriction was removed in a Seagate firmware update. But I can't tell you for sure because I only have three wifi devices to test with right now.
I decided to go this route.

http://www.hootoo.com/hootoo-tripmate-na...outer.html

I can plug any USB storage device i like into it up to 2Tb and it shares via smb and dlna to up to 5 devices. I purchased one for $16.00 and it works great. The best part is it powers everything via 1A. usb micro cable so i can just leave it in the car keyed or constant. While powered on still in the car it bridges to my home network and I mapped the drive to my PC so moving files around is effortless.
I use a gen 1 nexus 7 on the dash and it works good but i will apreciate an upgrade soon. the kids can each watch their own movies in the back while I listen to music and use the gps. in the front of the car.
I also can turn my phone into a hotspot and the tripmate bridges that back to all of the tablets. especially useful for searching navigation.
I'm so happy with this tiny little thing everyone In my family will be getting one for Christmas.
Wow, nice deal on that HooToo thing.
(2015-04-03, 22:44)GoFast Wrote: I decided to go this route.

http://www.hootoo.com/hootoo-tripmate-na...outer.html

I can plug any USB storage device i like into it up to 2Tb and it shares via smb and dlna to up to 5 devices. I purchased one for $16.00 and it works great. The best part is it powers everything via 1A. usb micro cable so i can just leave it in the car keyed or constant. While powered on still in the car it bridges to my home network and I mapped the drive to my PC so moving files around is effortless.
I use a gen 1 nexus 7 on the dash and it works good but i will apreciate an upgrade soon. the kids can each watch their own movies in the back while I listen to music and use the gps. in the front of the car.
I also can turn my phone into a hotspot and the tripmate bridges that back to all of the tablets. especially useful for searching navigation.
I'm so happy with this tiny little thing everyone In my family will be getting one for Christmas.

Looking into one of these, myself. Did you use the Hoo Too app in any way? Or, did you just find the network with kodi, itself? Thanks.
Thread moved to hardware.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmc incar entertainment- wifi hard drive?1