Flipboard inspired "channels"
As a Nottingham Forest fan, and music fan, and user of Android app "flipboard", I've wondered about pulling these things together.

Flipboard pulls in news feeds from RSS and displays them in a way suited to mobile screens. There are "channels" for interests, and these are "curated" by people who share that interest.

I've wondered, why not an app for XMBC that does this, but pulls in video as well, making it a sort of user powered TV channel.

So, for Nottingham Forest, my football team, it might pull in the club's RSS feed, the local newspaper's sports RSS, the club YouTube channel's video, BBC Nottingham Forest related audio (phone in) and other user "curated" video.

The video could be played windowed, with text laid out in large print underneath or at the side, for the TV screen to be read from the settee/sofa. The text could flip over as you click down or up on the remote. The news item could change as you press left or right.

For music, channels could be "heavy metal" or "jazz". It could blend user review videos, record label YouTube videoes, magazine RSS feeds and more.

The content could be laid out like "pesudo TV" perhaps, in an effort to create the feel of a real TV channel.

Anyway, the idea is to take web content that's already out there, and lay it out nicely in interest categories for XBMC users, in much the same way that Flipboard has done.

There would need to be some means of adding, moderating content. Maybe a Wiki could be the backend, making it easy for users to contribute. Maybe a reddit style upvote system would work? In any case, there'd be a balance to be struck between "official" and user generated content.

Lastly, football again, but might apply to other things; could a user even broadcast, say match reports/updates from a game to a video share web site, that's linked to the XBMC "channel", and effectively create a user powered "Sky Sports News"?

Thoughts?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Flipboard inspired "channels"0