QNAPS TS-x70Pro's ?
Early days but i'm considering going the QNAPS TS-x70Pro route as the hardware should not look too bad sitting in the cabinet under the TV in my living room.

Now these TS-x70Pro variants come in 4, 5, 6 & 8 bay configurations giving a total of 16TB to 32TB of raw HDD space while they all use an i3-3220 3.3 GHz Dual-core Processor (= Intel HD Graphics 2500) with 2GB of DDR3 RAM and they all have a HDMI output.

The QNAPS OS also allows for apps like XBMC and many more to be installed within the device which sounds great but has anyone actually got experience running these QNAPS boxes directly connected to their TV?

Can these TS-x70Pro's play back all video & audio formats via XBMC or are their any limitations known to the community?

Can one set up a SQL server (mongoDB or PostgreSQL?) on their QNAPS so other household XBMC clients can also watch the movie collection contained within?

Obviously one can not install a couple to PCIe DVT tuners within the QNAPS device but i've read USB DTV tuners can be used instead. Has has anyone direct experience with such usb tuners & PVR server/client software on these QNAPS boxes? Does anyone know whether the PCIe slot available on this device is only assigned for the GbE or 10GbE cards QNAPS sells or can any PCIe (video, dtv or wireless networking) card be installed within? Does XBMC work with the Digital TV station app from QNAPS app store?

Is it possible to also run home surveillance cameras (either IP or USB cameras) with the QNAPS box from what i have read but is it possible for flagged camera activity (like someone walking towards the front door) to be displayed within a windowed overlay (a popup window) within XBMC if one is watching a movie? This would be very handy when the doorbell can't be heard because of the SURROUND SOUND Smile

How often does QNAPS update the hardware on these boxes? Will it be likely to see a haswell cpu or other lower power tech come out soon?

Anymore things i should consider about going down the QNAPS route?
I'm a XBMC novice :)
The QNAP NAS have built in MySQL Server. Can't really help you with the other questions, but I have a QNAP TS-412 and I am very happy with it Smile
Maybe this will help you: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/multimedi...-your-htpc

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
QNAPS TS-x70Pro's ?0