• 112(current)
[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes
I'll give you links to the stuff hat worked for me when I had ember. If I can remember.
It probably took me 2 days of trying.
Here is a link to my files.I would use the pin bridging procedure and the EMPTY BOOT FILES first. Make sure you bridge the pins and hold the reset until you see the screen flash then let go of the pins, keep holding the reset until you see the droid.

After doing that try bridging the pins again and use the ANDROID FLASH files.

Finally after you have it back on Android the MX LINUX files are there also.

NOTE: I made 3 SD cards, One for each thing. Its simpler that way to just try in random order, which is what I tried in the end.

GOOD LUCK

https://copy.com/KUWlAcQVpnBGLdDC
Beats me why people go for Ember, maybe because it was put as #1 on this thread?? Or it has Kodi Isengard? After just skimming this thread it was clear to me that Ember is for what I would call 'charity minded experts'. Kodi is Kodi is Kodi and v14 is the same as v15 for like 99 users out of 100 (ok, the ratio is open for discussion). Like anybody, I also wanted new version but after trying it out I am quite content to stick with Helix for a while, maybe till it starts losing support from addon makers.

I flashed MX-Linux Helix 14.2 version #2 three times and twice reverted back to Android without any issues whatever (box ATV1200). Mind you I had to revert not because that MX version was faulty, it was my own doing which messed up the installation. Only shortcoming of this version is that you can't flash it to recover from messed up installation, it goes through the process of flashing all right but it doesn't fix the mess (I expected re-flashing would repair linux installation, that is put back the files which I inadvertently deleted). In such a case you need to flash back to Android and back again to MX Linux. At least that's my finding.
(2015-11-03, 14:03)van141 Wrote: Beats me why people go for Ember, maybe because it was put as #1 on this thread?? Or it has Kodi Isengard? After just skimming this thread it was clear to me that Ember is for what I would call 'charity minded experts'. Kodi is Kodi is Kodi and v14 is the same as v15 for like 99 users out of 100 (ok, the ratio is open for discussion). Like anybody, I also wanted new version but after trying it out I am quite content to stick with Helix for a while, maybe till it starts losing support from addon makers.

I flashed MX-Linux Helix 14.2 version #2 three times and twice reverted back to Android without any issues whatever (box ATV1200). Mind you I had to revert not because that MX version was faulty, it was my own doing which messed up the installation. Only shortcoming of this version is that you can't flash it to recover from messed up installation, it goes through the process of flashing all right but it doesn't fix the mess (I expected re-flashing would repair linux installation, that is put back the files which I inadvertently deleted). In such a case you need to flash back to Android and back again to MX Linux. At least that's my finding.

To refllash MX-Linux Helix 14.2 with a clean install:-

On the SD card rename MX_LINUX-G02REF-update.zip to anything you want ie 14.2.zip
Boot using the reset button, update will fail leaving you in the recovery screen.
Select wipedate/factory reset.
Select apply update from EXT.
Select Update from sdcard.
Select 14.2.zip or whatever you renamed the update file.
System will update.
Select reboot.
Aaah, that's precious, thank you so much bodgit, will save me next time. I thought that recovery screen was something tied to Android.

Unless I am mistaken, I tried resetting while leaving SD slot empty but I didn't get that recovery screen, instead I booted back to mx linux. And with SD card in, I got that 'false repair' since I didn't get to recovery screen to do that 'wipedata/factory reset'.

Request: Is there anybody here with some linux skills? Could you look into installing Teamviewer into this mx-linux release, not sure that is at all possible. I gave it a stab looking for guidance on this webpage
Code:
https://www.teamviewer.com/en/help/363-How-do-I-install-TeamViewer-on-my-Linux-distribution.aspx#other
but it either doesn't go into enough detail or it just doesn't apply here?
Teamviewer would be an ideal remote help access if it would be full install, not QuickSupport kind which needs elaborate letting you in by the remote user.

On another note, how I envy you and ray your warm locations, here in central EU it is freezing... Smile
(2015-11-02, 20:31)ed_davidson Wrote: Here is a link to my files.I would use the pin bridging procedure and the EMPTY BOOT FILES first. Make sure you bridge the pins and hold the reset until you see the screen flash then let go of the pins, keep holding the reset until you see the droid.

After doing that try bridging the pins again and use the ANDROID FLASH files.

Finally after you have it back on Android the MX LINUX files are there also.

NOTE: I made 3 SD cards, One for each thing. Its simpler that way to just try in random order, which is what I tried in the end.

GOOD LUCK

https://copy.com/KUWlAcQVpnBGLdDC
Thank you very much. I will try it later. Bootable SD card has helped me to upgrade to Ember 1.0.1. Box works well. I want to try a version 2.0.2 now.
I have an MX2 box which of course has a G18Ref board and was successfully flashed to EMbeR V2.0.2 some months ago, It has been used successfully and stable too by a friend of mine who brought this box off of me all configured for him. Well a few days ago he phoned me to say it would not boot at all and just left a blank black screen and he says he had done nothing to the box to change anything which I well believe knowing him well.

So I brought the box home and have found it is endlessly trying to go into recovery mode without even pressing in the reset button, but without a bootable SD card in the slot then of course nothing will happen and thus the blank screen after power up.

So I tried to re-flash the device with Ember V2.0.2 which it already had installed and sure it booted up to recovery mode and auto started installing EMbeR 2. and all seemed to go well reporting a successful installation. However when it tried to auto reboot it simply kept repeating the installation even though I was no longer Holden in the reset button of course.. I forced the box into the recovery screen with a bootable otherwise empty SD card and tried a Factory Reset and Cache Wipe all which went successfully, Tried then a manually selected reboot and the same problem as it either auto returned to the recovery screen or if I removed the SD bootable card then back to the blank screen boot up originally reported.

Tried reverting to Android using the EmbER Android recovery set of files supplied at the same time as EmbER 2 and even tried the original 1.1.5 Android OS the boxes were shipped with. All showed they installed successfully but then the same problem when auto rebooting and it returning to reinstalling form the SD Card. So it is like I was continually holding in the reset button.

Next step with a multimeter I opened the box and checked the reset button and proved it was physically working correctly. So it seems to be not a hard brick but what I think is called a soft brick. Tried everything I know to unbrick it (other than pin shorting as do not know which pins to short on this MX2 box) and all to no avail. Images install successfully but will nto boot into anything other than recovery mode as though I was holding in the reset button on power up..

So can anyone please help here who knows of this problem and its cure ? Would very much appreciate some help and feedback.regarding this issue.
Cheers
Raymw
From here, it looks like it could be the box hardware failure or else failure of what in a computer would be called BIOS? Just tried google and found this https://wiki.matricom.net/i/MX2_Firmware
Could this be what you need? There is subsection there on reflashing firmware - https://wiki.matricom.net/i/MX2_Firmware#Reflashing
Bricked a perfectly good ATV1200 by installing Ember. Flash seemed to go OK as the ember installer progress bar seemed to complete and then ... nothing. I waited 45 mins before pulling the plug on it. Since then I've tried the pin shorting method with various recovery discs but to no avail. The binmen take it away tomorrow.

I've flashed loads of firmware on various boxes but this is my first disaster. I'm posting this as a warning to others who might be considering following in my footsteps.
Did you try the files in my post #1668 ?
(2015-11-16, 22:26)sonofdibnah Wrote: The binmen take it away tomorrow.
Don't do that. If the light is on it's recoverable.
Thanks for the replies ed_davidson and Grand Total. I tried every combo of files I could find in this thread for the recovery disc before I binned it. Ed, I tried your files - the bootloader only one wouldn't boot so I stopped there.

Anyhow, the bin has been emptied, so it is case closed. I suppose I should have offered it free to good home.

'Twas a good box but the Mxq S805 red tick I've got running Openelec is my favourite of the moment. I must resist the urge to tinker and remember if it 'aint bust......
I am in the same boat as sono tried for 2 days with different files etc but with no luck the best I got was 4.1 installed but on reboot without the sd card inserted it would not boot. With the files above I could not make a bootable sd card it failed in win 10. I could make a bootable sd card with sdcardmaker.exe.

I must of tried 100 times but not once did I get leds flashing red-green. The best I could get was solid green. I tried differnet methods ie holding the reset pin in, bridge pins. It seemed totally radmon to get the yellow man up and with some files the green man would just freeze and go no further.

Any Help
Coley
(2015-11-17, 22:03)coley65 Wrote: Any Help
Please try this if you have not already. It won't flash red and green but it may get you going. Let it download and restart then download a second time.
  • 112(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes5