• 83(current)
[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes
If you want my advice get an AmLogic AML8726-MX dual core box. They are cheaper and run a lot better with mxlinux. This was the original box croniccorey made it for. I've had all boxes and this is the most stable out of all. You don't get any of the freezing issues and no problems with WiFi. You can't use the builds on here though. I can make you some
Press THANK USER if I Help
These look interesting Auxbox, many thanks for the info. Will they support the latest Linux KODI Helix 14? Do they support WiFi switching like we have with WiFi Manager without any Broadcom type incompatibility? DO they produce true 1080 HD like the ATV1200 box does with Linux Gotham 13.2 and Helix 14.0 ?

I see they have a faster speed CPU than in the ATV1200 box but they do apparently suffer form heat problems when the cpu is working hard from what I read. What experience have you with this heat problem. DO you find them more responsive and generally snappier than the ATV1200 type boxes or pretty much the same.

I will check with my Chinese supplier to see how much cheaper they are than the ATV1200 boxes and maybe try one out if you have3 a suitable Linux compile.. They certainly look interesting so will be interested in what compiles are available for Linux KODI builds.

The ATV1200 box is the best Linux MX box I have tried so far but I do trust your judgement mate so I am very interested.in looking at these AML8726-MX based boxes
Cheers
Raymw
Aren't ATV1200 based on AML8726-MX too ?

I own an ATV1200 though, and i must say i totally agree with raymw, running MX-linux (and soon Ember ^^) is absolutely fabulous lol
I've used this box a few months running Android (before to discover Mx-linux), and it was slow as hell.
Now it's fast, and i too don't think more cores would change anything.
Plus it plays all my full HD videos without any hiccup, and wifi is powerful enough to stream HD videos from my various HDD in the house.
(2015-03-04, 19:05)raymw Wrote: These look interesting Auxbox, many thanks for the info. Will they support the latest Linux KODI Helix 14? Do they support WiFi switching like we have with WiFi Manager without any Broadcom type incompatibility? DO they produce true 1080 HD like the ATV1200 box does with Linux Gotham 13.2 and Helix 14.0 ?

I see they have a faster speed CPU than in the ATV1200 box but they do apparently suffer form heat problems when the cpu is working hard from what I read. What experience have you with this heat problem. DO you find them more responsive and generally snappier than the ATV1200 type boxes or pretty much the same.

I will check with my Chinese supplier to see how much cheaper they are than the ATV1200 boxes and maybe try one out if you have3 a suitable Linux compile.. They certainly look interesting so will be interested in what compiles are available for Linux KODI builds.

The ATV1200 box is the best Linux MX box I have tried so far but I do trust your judgement mate so I am very interested.in looking at these AML8726-MX based boxes

It's the exact same as on ATV1200 but theres no problems AT ALL and a bit faster maybe.
I always end up going back to these boxes. Even the flashing process is easier and no problems with bricking them.
(2015-03-05, 00:53)AuXBoX Wrote: It's the exact same as on ATV1200 but theres no problems AT ALL and a bit faster maybe.
I always end up going back to these boxes. Even the flashing process is easier and no problems with bricking them.

Duh I had not put together the fact that the ATV1200 uses the same AML cpu. Sorry about that. My bad.

So the main benefit seems to be pricing as far as I am concerned. So I am getting a quote from my friendly Chinese supplier to see how they compare in price to the MyGica ATV1200 boxes.

I find no problems with the ATV1200 box and especially with the latest Linux Helix 14.0 compile (sure I do use an active screensaver to avoid the occasional freezes) and personally have never bricked a 1200 box but have had to unbrick one that a friend did accidentally brick when attempting to flash to Linux for the first time.

As there appears to be no extremal antenna is the WiFi reception good or is it poor like on the original ATV510 / A11 boxes?

Would you mind posting a Linux Helix 14 compile for these boxes Auxbox ?? I would be very interested to try it out when I get one of these CMX boxes for testing..
Cheers
Raymw
(2015-03-05, 08:24)raymw Wrote:
(2015-03-05, 00:53)AuXBoX Wrote: It's the exact same as on ATV1200 but theres no problems AT ALL and a bit faster maybe.

Duh I had not put together the fact that the ATV1200 uses the same AML cpu. Sorry about that. My bad.

So the main benefit seems to be pricing as far as I am concerned. So I am getting a quote from my friendly Chinese supplier to see how they compare in price to the MyGica ATV1200 boxes.

I find no problems with the ATV1200 box and especially with the latest Linux Helix 14.0 compile (sure I do use an active screensaver to avoid the occasional freezes) and personally have never bricked a 1200 box but have had to unbrick one that a friend did accidentally brick when attempting to flash to Linux for the first time.

As there appears to be no extremal antenna is the WiFi reception good or is it poor like on the original ATV510 / A11 boxes?

Would you mind posting a Linux Helix 14 compile for these boxes Auxbox ?? I would be very interested to try it out when I get one of these CMX boxes for testing..
The Wifi is good, i've never had any problems.
i'll post a link to the G18REF/MX2REF build soon. Let me know when or if you get one
@raymw : would you mind sharing a link when (if) your chinese friend gets back to you ?
I was thinking of buying another ATV1200 for my bedroom, but they are still expensive here in europe (more than 80€, even on ebay...).
So if i could get one of these boxes cheaper that would be great lol

Thanks.
I buy my ATV1200 boxes in bulk NeBiouse as I supply my friends and contacts here in Thailand and order usually 5 to 10 units at a time when I have the orders here. So I get a special private deal with my Chinese supplier. But I have to pay Thai import duty at 10% plus Thai VAT at 7% too but that is passed onto my friends who are ordering them for me to set up for them with Linux MX and a good collection of popular add-ons. So I do earn a few welcomed beers from them for my troubles and efforts :-) .

I have asked him for a one off box quote to ship direct to Europe for you, but I honestly do not expect it to be any cheaper than you already quoted and you will still have the very real chance of incurring import duty and European high levels of VAT too,.so that would be a major deal breaker. These CMX boxes Auxbox mentioned are about US$24 cheaper to me from my Chinese supplier, so if they are as good as claimed, as I expect they are, then will be well worth the saving. Also apparently they have a better and more stable performance.as Auxbox mentioned too.

I expect to have one of these CMX boxes with my next ATV1200 box order within about 2 weeks though will be out of action for about a week from 21st March.
Cheers
Raymw
(2015-03-05, 16:56)raymw Wrote: I expect to have one of these CMX boxes with my next ATV1200 box order within about 2 weeks though will be out of action for about a week from 21st March.

Do you know what model CMX player?
Guys, there are far better options than MX based boxes these days. I have a couple of ATV1200 boxes (Sumvision Cyclone X2) but I am now using the Sumvision Cyclone X4 box running OpenELEC. These are S805 based boxed and can do HEVC decoding in hardware up to 1080p. OpenELEC is very similar to MX Linux (based on same family of Amlogic linux kernels) but there is far more in the way of current development and new releases. I am finding more and more HEVC streams online that MX boxes just can't handle. These S805 boxes are really cheap, but if you want a bit better performance then the S812 based CX-806 box can do HEVC at 4K now under OpenELEC.
(2015-03-06, 13:54)bobones Wrote: Guys, there are far better options than MX based boxes these days. I have a couple of ATV1200 boxes (Sumvision Cyclone X2) but I am now using the Sumvision Cyclone X4 box running OpenELEC. These are S805 based boxed and can do HEVC decoding in hardware up to 1080p. OpenELEC is very similar to MX Linux (based on same family of Amlogic linux kernels) but there is far more in the way of current development and new releases. I am finding more and more HEVC streams online that MX boxes just can't handle. These S805 boxes are really cheap, but if you want a bit better performance then the S812 based CX-806 box can do HEVC at 4K now under OpenELEC.

Where do I find HEVC streams?
(2015-03-05, 12:20)NeBouse Wrote: @raymw : would you mind sharing a link when (if) your chinese friend gets back to you ?
I was thinking of buying another ATV1200 for my bedroom, but they are still expensive here in europe (more than 80€, even on ebay...).
So if i could get one of these boxes cheaper that would be great lol

Thanks.

He has an eBay site so just look for item #161035352860 where the price is US$94.99 That is a one off price of course, if you want to buy more in bulk then you have to contact him. He tells me that by Royal Mail to UK there is normally no tax charged on one off box shipments from China..

You obviously will have to then install your own Linux MX Helix 14 firmware and install add-ons and configure ready for plug'n'play use. That task including end user personal customisation takes me up to about 90 minutes per box, and I am very conversant with the task. I even use and efficient restore backup system to get my own recommended add-ons and basic settings quickly installed.
Cheers
Raymw
(2015-03-05, 23:15)xbmcdoc Wrote:
(2015-03-05, 16:56)raymw Wrote: I expect to have one of these CMX boxes with my next ATV1200 box order within about 2 weeks though will be out of action for about a week from 21st March.

Do you know what model CMX player?

Here is an eBay link for the CMX MX - AML8726-MX cpu box I am getting, though not from this supplier as i am getting one shipped with my next order of ATV1200 boxes so get a better bilk order price and free fast shipping. Will have to pay duty and VAT here in Thailand though as normal.

The eBay item is #121586585094 so you can see which model it is.
Cheers
Raymw
Bobones thanks for the info but personally at this time I want to stay with the well established XBMC/KODI as just cannot really fault it right now with excellent HD streaming and of course being well established there are hundreds or thousands of world wide servers available so can stream almost anything I want.

Still cannot see that a quad core over a dual core will give any benefit for this sort of operation. Sure it might help bloatware Android to cope better, but who needs Android anyway when we have the far superior Linux MX without all the unnecessary Android bloatware either. Also quadcore will not usually improve streaming as that is primarily and almost totally dependant on the end to end internet link quality and far end server capability. Certainly for me streaming here almost always works brilliantly on my ATV1200 / Linux Helix 14.0 box as long as I chose the better far end servers for which you soon get to know which ones work best for you..

I will only change to quad core when the dual core boxes are no longer available and there is a Linux KODI build available for them which I am still sure will be fothcoming. THat Openelec system is really still very much beta and experimental so certainly will look at it before too long but for me not a priority.
Cheers
Raymw
(2015-03-07, 07:51)raymw Wrote: He has an eBay site so just look for item #161035352860 where the price is US$94.99 That is a one off price of course, if you want to buy more in bulk then you have to contact him. He tells me that by Royal Mail to UK there is normally no tax charged on one off box shipments from China..

You obviously will have to then install your own Linux MX Helix 14 firmware and install add-ons and configure ready for plug'n'play use. That task including end user personal customisation takes me up to about 90 minutes per box, and I am very conversant with the task. I even use and efficient restore backup system to get my own recommended add-ons and basic settings quickly installed.

Thanks for this, but unfortunately, this item is blocked in my country.
Not a big deal btw, since the price is the same as the ones i can found in UK (which is at 3 days delivery from my country, France).
Wink
  • 83(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes5