• 99(current)
[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes
Hmm cannot remember whether that one or the old Jynx revert file set but both used the same image file exactly just the ancillary files were different. I have nto given up on it yet though it is proving to be a bugger. Will start form scratch again with a pin shorting reset.
Cheers
Raymw
OK I know I'm being lazy here but I'll ask anyway. Does anyone know whether EmbER recognises and/or can use the internal HDD that is available in the Geniatech ATV3200/Sumvision Cyclone X2 Enclosure models ?
(2015-05-22, 16:20)Kenco Wrote: OK I know I'm being lazy here but I'll ask anyway. Does anyone know whether EmbER recognises and/or can use the internal HDD that is available in the Geniatech ATV3200/Sumvision Cyclone X2 Enclosure models ?

Ember certainly recognises the unit but it doesn't pickup the internal hard drive. Also, at the moment it doesn't update properly and bricks it on reboot Sad
Question: How is the bootanimation.tgz file created? Based on some research, it's probably a series of png's lzop'ed into parts and compressed into a .tgz file at the end.

Are all these steps needed? I'm experimenting with adding a samfisher Kodi intro vid to start during boot before the actual Kodi program. My skin can start a video on Kodi boot but it's already too late at that point (only 1.5 seconds of video time left).
hey guys,

I know it's been discussed in this thread, but it's to big and I'm partially lazy Smile

my buddy's ATV520 has the red light, no bootup. I've tried to flash the kodi 14.2 auxbox build but nothing happens.

what are the options at this point to try to revive it? shorting pins? if so can someone direct me to what I'd need to short?

update: trying this option from post 1446:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1988848

so far nothing Sad

more updates: the red light o the front went blue, but nothing on screen yet. I'm afraid to cut the power just yet, maybe something is happening. oh the exciting play by play Smile

and more updates: used this method: http://www.mygicasupport.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1665

the lights behave exactly the same way they do in the howto video (they alternate blue and red when I boot up with update held down), but nothing on screen yet.
success! I think my coworker's monitor was being retarded. so I'm not sure what flash worked but the latest flash I did (the one from geniatech support) clearly worked. plugged his box into my monitor and all is good.

back in android Smile
something I've noticed in ember 1.0.1. my resolution seems to be stuck at 720p.

on my box at home (same 520 unit) I'm running ember 1.0.0 and am at 1080p. with this one, I'm stuck at 720. I've tried deleting guisettings.xml but no change.

raymw, did you notice this at all?
Ember version 1.0.1 - update does not work with Ethernet connection on ATA 520 and nor does the WiFi so you can't update wirelessly. You simply get a server is not available error. Also the ATA 520 has dual core processor running at 1.5 GHz but the settings only allow you to run the processor at 1.3GHz no faster even though the list shows 1.5 you can't select it.
(2015-05-21, 07:49)raymw Wrote: Hmm cannot remember whether that one or the old Jynx revert file set but both used the same image file exactly just the ancillary files were different. I have nto given up on it yet though it is proving to be a bugger. Will start form scratch again with a pin shorting reset.

hey ray, when you get your box reverted back from ember to mx Linux, can you post up exactly what you did?

for one, not sure what pins to short.

also, on the first post of this thread, the link to update_stvmx_20130805_eng.zip is dead.

I'm on ember 1.0.0 and it's working well, but I'm trying to my coworker's back to mx Linux and it's proving impossible. I get the same error you got, and am booted into recovery.
(2015-05-25, 22:07)redi Wrote: something I've noticed in ember 1.0.1. my resolution seems to be stuck at 720p.

on my box at home (same 520 unit) I'm running ember 1.0.0 and am at 1080p. with this one, I'm stuck at 720. I've tried deleting guisettings.xml but no change.

raymw, did you notice this at all?

Yes from testing I have discovered that with Ember it actually appears to ascertain whether it is connected to your TV via HDMI (HDMI is a two way comms link with control signals handshaking available in the background). If it is connected it then ascertains that if you have set 1080 res does the connected TV support that res. If either of those questions come back as negative then I gather EmbER reverts to 720 res so at least a picture can be displayed on a non Full HD 1080 monitor. Without that it could be a pain as no way could you see the config screen to set it back to 720 of course without connecting to another suitable 1080 monitor. So is a sensible fail safe system they seem to have added.

So I think this is what is happening and you will find then that the resolution option is locked to 720 (greyed out) and will remain so until you reboot the box but this time with the monitor powered on already and the HDMI connection to it all good. Then it will boot up and give you the option to change screen resolution in the System Settings as normal. Secret is always ensure your TV set is powered on (and HDMI Home Theatre unit too if you have one) before you power up your box, it should then stay at the previously set up resolution you used last time you used the box whether that was 720 or 1080.

Hope that helps.

As to restoring an EmbER V 1.0.0 box to MX Linux well it is not easy and requires the pin shorting method outilined elsewhere in detail so please look back for the relevant posts. What I recommend is to download and use the Ember V1.0.1 update files set (NOTE NOT the Convert file set) and simply update manually EmbER V1.0.0 to 1.0.1 as that should work well as it has for me,. IMPORTANT FOR NOW THAT YOU DO NOT try to use the Auto Update system even after registration and donation, as this most often, and in fact usually always, ends up bricking the box certainly with the ATV1200/1220 boxes. I hope this bug is fixed by the EmbER team soon.
Cheers
Raymw
(2015-05-26, 15:36)Richdashmor Wrote: Ember version 1.0.1 - update does not work with Ethernet connection on ATA 520 and nor does the WiFi so you can't update wirelessly. You simply get a server is not available error. Also the ATA 520 has dual core processor running at 1.5 GHz but the settings only allow you to run the processor at 1.3GHz no faster even though the list shows 1.5 you can't select it.

ATV520 boxes use Broadcom WiFi chipset and that is NOT compatible with ANY XBMC/KODI Linux firmware since Frodo 12.3 (and even then that requires a quick easy fix in the system files). This is all well documented in this forum in various posts. Better to get the bigger brother to that box with a ATV1200 or now 1220 box which are excellent and fully WiFi compatible with all the Linux Gotham and Helix builds and not expensive these days either especially if you are capable of flashing them to Linux and setting them all up yourself. Obviously you will have to pay somewhat more for a pre configured Linux running box as it is quite a time consuming task to set everything all up properly

Those dual core 520 boxes get hot already so by default they are now usually set to 1.2 Ghz and that IMHO is plenty fast enough so it is a good think if setting it faster than 1.3 Ghz is disabled. I live in a hot climate and even consider slowing my old 520 box down a little but it does seem to just about be okay if getting a little close to critically hot. 1.5 Ghz is a no no unless your TV room is running well below 20C or even less IMHO. Turn the box upside down and the heat can more easily dissipate of course though does not look so good
Cheers
Raymw
(2015-05-27, 09:57)raymw Wrote: Those dual core 520 boxes get hot already so by default they are now usually set to 1.2 Ghz and that IMHO is plenty fast enough so it is a good think if setting it faster than 1.3 Ghz is disabled. I live in a hot climate and even consider slowing my old 520 box down a little but it does seem to just about be okay if getting a little close to critically hot. 1.5 Ghz is a no no unless your TV room is running well below 20C or even less IMHO. Turn the box upside down and the heat can more easily dissipate of course though does not look so good

USB FAN it =)
(2015-05-29, 20:01)xbmcdoc Wrote: [quote='raymw' pid='2013979' dateline='1432713445']
Those dual core 520 boxes get hot already so by default they are now usually set to 1.2 Ghz and that IMHO is plenty fast enough so it is a good think if setting it faster than 1.3 Ghz is disabled. I live in a hot climate and even consider slowing my old 520 box down a little but it does seem to just about be okay if getting a little close to critically hot. 1.5 Ghz is a no no unless your TV room is running well below 20C or even less IMHO. Turn the box upside down and the heat can more easily dissipate of course though does not look so good

Thanks for posting that tip as indeed it is a good on for readers here to see. I do already use one though for the past year xbmcdoc so know their benefits in hot places like here. I got hold of a quite small one that is more in size to fit under my ATV1200 box and cost me about 200 Thai Baht (£4). The ATV520 box though is very much smaller than the ATV1200 so I doubt I could find a suitable USB fan small enough to be practical. But I mainly use my ATV1200 as it is a superior box that also supports WiFi with Gotham and Helix of course.
Cheers
Raymw
(2015-05-30, 08:49)raymw Wrote:
(2015-05-29, 20:01)xbmcdoc Wrote: [quote='raymw' pid='2013979' dateline='1432713445']

Thanks for posting that tip as indeed it is a good on for readers here to see. I do already use one though for the past year xbmcdoc so know their benefits in hot places like here. I got hold of a quite small one that is more in size to fit under my ATV1200 box and cost me about 200 Thai Baht (£4). The ATV520 box though is very much smaller than the ATV1200 so I doubt I could find a suitable USB fan small enough to be practical. But I mainly use my ATV1200 as it is a superior box that also supports WiFi with Gotham and Helix of course.

Too bad the ATV1200 isn't in production any more. It was a good box.

Interesting enough pushing cooler air from under the box is more efficient than fanning from the top. The ATV1200 has a fan plug inside too. I think it is a 2-pin plug. I tried a little fan inside the box once but it was loud and didn't have time to install a switch in between (turn it on only when needed).
  • 99(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes5