• 34(current)
[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes
(2014-05-16, 19:00)tinker Wrote: Biatsch:

You should call it 'Biatsch's Brew' (Miles Davis reference Smile)

Almost ready to give it a try here...

tinker

I Just Compiled for our Boxes (like nightlies)..... so i don´t think it is right giving it a name from me .... it is and will remain croniccorey build !!!

and please don´t spam me

if something isnt working post on xda forum..........

like i wrote before i will just compile latest build from github for our boxes !!!
Biatsch:

So far, so good. I installed directly over my XDA version of Linux/XBMC. It kept my settings too, including incompatible addons. I'm restoring a backup from one on my Gatham builds to see if that clears up.

Yes, everything seems to be working. Even live TV through my Hauppauge HD-PVR. It boots in about 30 seconds too.

I'll let you know if there are problems, but really none so far! Smile

BTW: I'm using an ATV520.

tinker
Thats great to hear tinkerSmile. Does WiFi work on the 520 with it? I use Ethernet but have friends that are still rocking android xbmc and need WiFi.

Oh and one thing is bugging the crap out of me with frodo xbmc. Pretty much every HD feed from icefilms freezes video at exactly 10 mins. Its so odd. Other addons and networked files are fine. I had the same thing on all the rc Gotham builds on my nexus 5 and 7 but with the final Gotham build the issue disappeared on the nexus devices. Anyone else experience this ?
Biatsch:

So far, your Gotham build of Linux/XBMC is working just fine. It boots as fast as the XDA version and seems to run a bit quicker too!. Videos start much quicker.

There's only two issues I ran across. I had to set my Live TV to time-shifting mode to get it to work with my Hauppauge HD-PVR (other versions of Gotham on Windows 7 and Android didn't require this) Don't worry about that one because their are too many ways it could be my fault.

Also, I can't seem to get terminal access through SSH with Putty, It won't accept the password. Did you change it? I don't need the terminal because I have full read/write access through SMB file sharing (which I prefer anyway).

I just did a re-install to see if I could get the terminal working and all my settings survived! This means that it you create your updates using the same methods, it'll make folks lives easier. In other words, your next SD boot card should install fine whether it's the first time or an upgrade. I think the SD boot card method is better than the installing an '.img' file from the recovery menu.

The only almost show-stopper for me was translating a modded version of the skin Confluence to Gotham. I use a version of Confluence that doesn't have the images compressed into a texture file. I've altered some of the (now accessible) images to make navigation from a distance easier for me. Eventually, I was able to 'fool' XBMC into using my altered skin. Funny thing, XBMC runs just as fast whether it's using the skin with compressed texture files or individual images.

So... I can't find a fault that there isn't a work-around for. Of course, no WIFI on the ATV520 but I don't use it anyway.

I mention the above out of completeness only because, otherwise, your Gotham build works very well indeed!

You did good!

tinker
Has anyone a copy of the "revert to android" files for the XDA Version? Link http://d-h.st/5Em seems to be deleted. Thanks.
Biatsch:

I signed up to the XDA forums but don't have permission to post on development forums. So, you're stuck with me here for now! Smile

Although the files below pertain to the XDA version as well, you might consider adding them to your build to add functionality.

First is a modified 'remote.conf' file. It assigns the 'Mouse' button to 'Media_Stop' which will stop anything that is playing. With the Power button and Mute button on either side of it, this seemed like a good place to put it, away from the other buttons. Next, it assigns the 'double window' button to the right of the 'home' button to toggle 'Play/Pause'. That button is otherwise unassigned and it's handy to have a single key pause for when the phone rings. Lastly, it assigns the power button to show the shutdown menu, which it handy because there is also a reboot function on the menu. Also, there's no chance of making a fatal error when trying to hit the 'Media_Stop' button beside it.

The file is well commented and easily modifiable. As well, since your Gotham build is just for the ATV520 and ATV1200, we all have the same remote. This one, right?:

Anyway, here's the remote.conf file:

Quote:#*********************************************************************************************************
# This file is configuration for each factory remote device
# work_mode 0 Confusedoftware mode 1 :hardware mode
# repeat_enable 0 :disable repeat 1 :enable repeat
#
# factory_code each device has it's unique factory code.
# pattern:custom_code(16bit)+index_code(16bit)
# examble: 0xff000001 = 0xff00(custom cod) 0001 (index)
#
# release_delay unit:ms.release will report from kernel to user layer after this period of time
# from press or repeat triggered.
#
# debug_enable 0 :debug disable 1 :debug disable
#
# SW MODE:
# bit_count how many bits in each frame
# tw_leader_act time window for leader active
# tw_bit0 time window for bit0 time.
# tw_bit1 time window for bit1 time
# tw_repeat_leader time window for repeat leader
# REG
# reg_base_gen set value for PREG_IR_DEC_BASE_GEN
# reg_control set value for PREG_IR_DEC_CONTROL
# reg_leader_act set value for PREG_IR_DEC_LEADER_ACTIVE
# reg_leader_idle set value for PREG_IR_DEC_LEADER_IDLE
# reg_repeat_leader set value for PREG_IR_DEC_REPEAT_IDLE
# reg_bit0_time set value for PREG_IR_DEC_BIT0_TIME
#*************************************************************************************************************
# MYGICA NEC remote
factory_code = 0xBD020001
work_mode = 1
repeat_enable = 1
release_delay = 150
debug_enable = 1
reg_control = 0xfbe40
fn_key_scancode = 0x50
left_key_scancode = 0x99
right_key_scancode = 0xc1
up_key_scancode = 0xca
down_key_scancode = 0xd2
ok_key_scancode = 0xce
pageup_key_scancode = 0x04
pagedown_key_scancode = 0x1b

key_begin
0x80 66 ;MUTE
0xdd 78 ;VOL+
0x8c 74 ;VOL-
0x9a 177 ;PAGE_UP
0xcd 178 ;PAGE_DOWN
0x95 1 ;HOME
0xc5 23 ;NOTIFICATION (the 'i' button, or 'info' in XBMC)
0x99 105 ;LEFT
0xca 103 ;UP
0xc1 106 ;RIGHT
0xd2 108 ;DOWN
0xce 28 ;OK
0xd6 46 ;MENU
0xd0 14 ;EXIT (the 'Back' button)
0x45 116 ;POWER ('31' is instant power off, '116' calls up the power off menu)
0x9c 0xa3 ;ZOOMIN (next track)
0x89 0xa5 ;ZOOMOUT (previous track)
# 0x50 404 ;SWITCH_MOUSE
0x50 166 ;MEDIA_STOP (0x50 is the 'Mouse' button beside 'Power')
0x51 164 ;MEDIA_PLAY_PAUSE (0x51 is the double window button beside 'Home')
# 0x51 0x12 ;EPG (or any other keycode. 0x12 is hexidecimal for 18, either will work)

key_end

mouse_begin
0x00 0xc6 ; mouse move up
0x01 0xd1 ; mouse move down
0x02 0xd5 ; mouse move left
0x03 0x90 ; mouse move right
mouse_end

The other file is a modification of the XDA version of 'smb.conf'. It already allows for the reading and writing of files to and from the USB drives and SD cards plugged into the box. It also allows read/write to the 'userdata' folder of XBMC. I've added access to the root file system '/'... both reading and writing. This lets me do editing and modding files on a remote computer with my favorite applications. Dangerous, yes, but we're already taking chances modding our boxes anyway.

Here's my 'smb.conf' file:

Quote:#============================ Global Settings =============================
[global]
workgroup = WORKGROUP
netbios name = MX
server string = MX-Linux
max log size = 50
security = share
encrypt passwords = yes
guest account = nobody
browseable = yes
guest ok = yes
guest only = no
log level = 1
log file = /var/log/samba/log.smbd

#============================ Share Definitions =============================
[Root]
path = /
read only = no
public = yes
writable = yes
browseable = yes
force user = root
force group = root

[Userdata]
path = /root/.xbmc
read only = no
public = yes
writable = yes
browseable = yes
force user = root
force group = root

[USB-Media]
path = /media
read only = no
public = yes
writable = yes
browseable = yes
force user = root
force group = root

So, feel free to use these in your disto if you like. They've worked for me pretty good for a while now.

Folks:

As far as I know, the 'remote.conf' file will work with any version of Linux/XBMC that has a remote that looks like the one above. It goes in '/etc/xbmc'. The 'smb.conf' may or may not work with Linux/XBMC versions other than Biatsch's or XDA. It goes in '/etc/samba'. Having read/write access to the whole file system (minus the .sqsh file) makes the life of a tinker so much easier.

tinker
(2014-05-17, 19:59)vashiel Wrote: Has anyone a copy of the "revert to android" files for the XDA Version? Link http://d-h.st/5Em seems to be deleted. Thanks.

take this

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wye0tb85cjtyhk...Revert.zip
Biatsch:

I've been running your Gotham build of Linux/XBMC since the day you posted it and I haven't found any major issues so far. It hasn't crashed once either, like the XDA version would periodically do.

Have you asked AuXBoX to post it on the front page of this thread yet? Do you have many other beta testers?

tinker
awesome, i'm going to give this a try now Smile
Crap. Where did all the audio settings go? Ie to specify 5.1 channel...

Update. Seems they are missing. I have audio channel options with Gotham final on my nexus 5. But not with this build. Any chance of getting those options added somehow? 5.1 worked flawlessly with frodo on the 520.
redi:

I hadn't noticed the audio settings. I just use 2 channel anyway, so it wasn't an issue. I just checked the options page and you're right, there are hardly any settings at all. You can call up the play bar and see whether it shows 5.1 for a video you know has surround sound. If it shows 2.0, you'll know that XBMC is down-mixing.

Also, I only have a 720p TV, so 1080p isn't even an issue either.

Considering this was Biatsch's first release, it runs fast and is stable. The only direction we can go in future updates is up.

tinker
couldn't agree more. the gotham build is really fast, maybe it's just a phantom effect but it seems that all the addons load up content from the net way faster.

my surround setup is just left/right/centre/sub anyway (no rears) so it's not the end of the world, and I'm sure the settings will be there eventually.

high fives to corey and biatsch!

(2014-05-22, 07:43)tinker Wrote: redi:

I hadn't noticed the audio settings. I just use 2 channel anyway, so it wasn't an issue. I just checked the options page and you're right, there are hardly any settings at all. You can call up the play bar and see whether it shows 5.1 for a video you know has surround sound. If it shows 2.0, you'll know that XBMC is down-mixing.

Also, I only have a 720p TV, so 1080p isn't even an issue either.

Considering this was Biatsch's first release, it runs fast and is stable. The only direction we can go in future updates is up.

tinker
Iam compiling a new build.... From github.... Will post it tomorrow if everything goes fine

@redi dont thank me i just compile it ...... Thanks goes to developers Smile

croniccorey, stane1983, and j1nx ..... They r the ones
thanks for the update Biatsch. look forward to it.
Biatsch:

Can you tell us of any improvements/changes that might come from this update? Your build hasn't crashed once since I've installed it. The worst that has happened is a freeze-up on power off a couple of times.

How many folks do you think have installed this version so far?

tinker
  • 34(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes5