• 129(current)
[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes
Hot news. For those with the metal cased MXQ M12 boxes with the S805 EmbER build then there has just been released a V4.0.1 Nightly Build for those who feel competent enough to try this new Beta build which has a raft of bug fixes according to Josh at EmbER . Please be aware that this is a Beta Build so could well have bugs so only for those who are wiling to test it out and please feed back your experience of it here too.

I have now installed it and the update went smoothly and all boots up okay and looks to be all working fine. I have also now removed the edited ntp.conf file some of us had to use to get the correct date and time at boot up and so far it works fine without that ntp temporary fix we used before, so this is fixed for sure it seems. Josh has apparently considerably reworked the power management so please test to check that the past related issues are fixed. Certainly I have removed my temporary fix remote.conf file too, and we are now back with the instant suspend mode when pressing the remote red power button. However from this instant suspend mode when trying to reboot from the remote then I still find it fails on first attempt every time, but now it always works on the second attempt unlike before. Now I will be also testing to see if the time loss is still occurring in this default suspend mode, so will report back on this issue tomorrow or Sunday after it has been in this instant suspend mode for many hours overnight.

Thanks to Josh and Corey for their continued work on this excellent S805 EmbER build.
Cheers
Raymw
(2016-03-24, 14:01)raymw Wrote: If you installed EmbER V3.0.1 on a G02ref box in the first couple of days after it was released then it will be well worth quickly manually reinstalling it using a latest updated version downloaded from the EmbER website. Make sure you first back up all your settings and add-ons (recommend using EmbER Backups) as it will clear them all; unless you are happy just installing this new updated build zip file directly using the EmbER recovery mode screen (but make sure you are competent with doing it that way first).

The recently updated V3.0.1 dated 22/03/16 for the G02Ref boxes allows for an easy fix for anyone with 1970 date/time boot up problems caused by laggy internet access to the default date/time ntp servers which use the US based servers that are used by the EmbER system at boot up. Those with this problem ( mostly in the SE Asia region - see below) will be familiar seeing the 1970 date at each or most boot ups and annoyingly causing a problem with many add-ons that need the correct current date/time. This problem is in fact not really an EmbER bug but a problem with laggy internet which has now got a suitable work around - read on.

I have a suitable edited ntp.conf file available, which is set up to use Asian ntp date/time servers for those in SE Asia where in many areas the internet is currently laggy to the US ntp servers. This it seems is due to a broken undersea main highway link cable between I believe Singapore and Hong Kong. This has also put an additional load on many other Asian links too.

This edited small ntp.conf file is of course primarily for Asian users (see below for download link), and should be placed in your /root/Config folder in your EmbER box, and will then commit and do it's job from there, provided you have this latest 22/03/16 V3.0.1 G02Ref build installed. It should work fine too with G18Ref boxes if placed in this same /root/Config location. Once installed this ntp.conf file will ensure that if you are anywhere in Asia, or adjacent regions, then you will almost certainly get the correct date/time on every boot up.

This edited ntp.conf file, which can be identified by being 280 Bytes in size, rather than the default file at just 202 Bytes, can be quickly downloaded from my public Dropbox link HERE. First remove the .zip extension (needed to stop you just getting a text file) and then simply place this small ntp.conf file in your /etc/Config folder using KODI File Manager and reboot. To access these areas in File Manager you may first need to ensure that you have the needed full permissions enabled in the KODI configurations. (See System|Settings|Appearance|File lists and ensure all 6 options are enabled, as by default two relevant ones are not.)

Finally you may find that after updating to EmbER V3.0.1 that your International timezone country setting has changed to USA / New York time so you will need to change it back to your own time zone /country of course. This is very easy and quick to do. (System|Settings|International and change the Timezone Country as appropriate.)

Hope this is useful help to some of you here; but, as per the usual caveat, please note that you make any adjustments to your system entirely at your own risk of course. Many thanks to Josh with this edited ntp.conf file and his great help in giving his valuable time in solving this date/time issue.

I understand this is just for Asia. Is there an edited ntp.conf file for north america or is it already included. I just had the 1969 bug on startup EmbER 4.0.1
(2016-08-28, 22:13)ed_davidson Wrote:
(2016-03-24, 14:01)raymw Wrote: If you installed EmbER V3.0.1 on a G02ref box in the first couple of days after it was released then it will be well worth quickly manually reinstalling it using a latest updated version downloaded from the EmbER website. Make sure you first back up all your settings and add-ons (recommend using EmbER Backups) as it will clear them all; unless you are happy just installing this new updated build zip file directly using the EmbER recovery mode screen (but make sure you are competent with doing it that way first).

The recently updated V3.0.1 dated 22/03/16 for the G02Ref boxes allows for an easy fix for anyone with 1970 date/time boot up problems caused by laggy internet access to the default date/time ntp servers which use the US based servers that are used by the EmbER system at boot up. Those with this problem ( mostly in the SE Asia region - see below) will be familiar seeing the 1970 date at each or most boot ups and annoyingly causing a problem with many add-ons that need the correct current date/time. This problem is in fact not really an EmbER bug but a problem with laggy internet which has now got a suitable work around - read on.

I have a suitable edited ntp.conf file available, which is set up to use Asian ntp date/time servers for those in SE Asia where in many areas the internet is currently laggy to the US ntp servers. This it seems is due to a broken undersea main highway link cable between I believe Singapore and Hong Kong. This has also put an additional load on many other Asian links too.

This edited small ntp.conf file is of course primarily for Asian users (see below for download link), and should be placed in your /root/Config folder in your EmbER box, and will then commit and do it's job from there, provided you have this latest 22/03/16 V3.0.1 G02Ref build installed. It should work fine too with G18Ref boxes if placed in this same /root/Config location. Once installed this ntp.conf file will ensure that if you are anywhere in Asia, or adjacent regions, then you will almost certainly get the correct date/time on every boot up.

This edited ntp.conf file, which can be identified by being 280 Bytes in size, rather than the default file at just 202 Bytes, can be quickly downloaded from my public Dropbox link HERE. First remove the .zip extension (needed to stop you just getting a text file) and then simply place this small ntp.conf file in your /etc/Config folder using KODI File Manager and reboot. To access these areas in File Manager you may first need to ensure that you have the needed full permissions enabled in the KODI configurations. (See System|Settings|Appearance|File lists and ensure all 6 options are enabled, as by default two relevant ones are not.)

Finally you may find that after updating to EmbER V3.0.1 that your International timezone country setting has changed to USA / New York time so you will need to change it back to your own time zone /country of course. This is very easy and quick to do. (System|Settings|International and change the Timezone Country as appropriate.)

Hope this is useful help to some of you here; but, as per the usual caveat, please note that you make any adjustments to your system entirely at your own risk of course. Many thanks to Josh with this edited ntp.conf file and his great help in giving his valuable time in solving this date/time issue.

I understand this is just for Asia. Is there an edited ntp.conf file for north america or is it already included. I just had the 1969 bug on startup EmbER 4.0.1

Yes it is primarily for Asia BUT this bug is now fixed from all my tests with the new nightly build Ed. We can all get the odd boot up where for some reason it does not connect to the internet, check your router/modem and best to even reboot it say about once a week too. This now fixed old bug usually means that you never get the right date and time after boot up, even though you are connected to the internet (you should check in System | System Information | Network) . If reboots do not solve it then the bug is still there on your box for some reason, but will be surprised as it is fixed now I am sure. With the nightly build you can and really should remove the now unneeded edited special ntp.conf file from the /root/Configs folder if you originally installed it (should never have been even needed in Canada).
Cheers
Raymw
Hello,

One question...
It's compatible plexus addon with Ember?

Thanks.
(2016-08-31, 00:45)vtecatalan Wrote: Hello,

One question...
It's compatible plexus addon with Ember?

Thanks.

No. Not that I know of.

Sent from my iPhone
Yes second Ed's comment. However,I want to add, why does anyone need Plexus when we have Ember KODI and all the great add-ons for just about any viewing and music you want Huh I have never used Plexus though read that it is apparently way inferior to KODI and it's add-ons. So I will confess I am talking here from considerable ignorance of Plexus, so maybe someone should enlighten me at any benefits it has over KODI and the great KODI add-ons available.

The latest registered EmbER V4 firmware running one of these more recent metal cased MXQ M12 quad core (S805) boxes is so inexpensive and yet so powerful. So why does anyone want or need more, if as with most folk, all they want is a superb internet streaming device for what I would imagine is ALL of your viewing needs. Someone help me here as I am must clearly be ill informed and frankly baffled by this need for Plexus. Even for Live TV and sports there are very good optional and legal low subscription service available with KODI too..
Cheers
Raymw
I think you are mistaking Plexus for Plex Ray. Plex is a type of media server, which I know nothing about.
Plexus is a Kodi addon which somehow enables the playing of Acestreams in Kodi. Acestreams are P2P live TV streams. It depends on your hardware weather or not it works. Hope that helps a bit.
I really know nothing about either of them, all I know is I can't get any acestreams or Sopcast streams to work on the Amlogic box running EmbER.

Sent from my iPhone
(2016-08-31, 15:08)ed_davidson Wrote: I think you are mistaking Plexus for Plex Ray. Plex is a type of media server, which I know nothing about.
Plexus is a Kodi addon which somehow enables the playing of Acestreams in Kodi. Acestreams are P2P live TV streams. It depends on your hardware weather or not it works. Hope that helps a bit.
I really know nothing about either of them, all I know is I can't get any acestreams or Sopcast streams to work on the Amlogic box running EmbER.

Sent from my iPhone

Yes indeed I am mixing those up Ed, my bad.Blush

Even so I have so many great add-ons that are purported to be the best in class that I honestly do not need another one. Why would I even need Sopcast, or Acestreams which so far I have found a bit of a PITA with KODI and just quickly gave up on it as unnecessary and unneeded AFAIC. I believe we are already vastly spoiled for choice with vast number of good and well functioning add-ons and I honestly can state that I have everything I and I believe most folk could ever want or need for a media internet streaming box. What does Acestreams and Sopcast give you that we currently have not already efficiently got ?? I also avoid P2P as it can be very dangerous and open to outside attack I understand and once again I tried it but absolutely no benefit at all!!

I even tried one of the well known premier subscription streaming services but all the links I tried via them were far worse (much more buffering and failed connections) than most of the free ones we get in abundance but that was of course for me based here in SE Asia. I do though currently enjoy using a paid for subscription live TV channel service which is great for live sport and they say is totally legal. Indeed it works brilliantly, so top marks to it. Will not though publicly advertise any such services or add-ons in this forum of course as per the rules which we should and must respect.

I try very hard to keep to the principle of KISS with the boxes I supply, as folk want them to be as easy and simple to use as possible, and that has always been and still is my goal.
Cheers
Raymw
I agree. It's something that I haven't even bothered with much as its so hot and miss and also you are sharing, which is risky.

Sent from my iPhone
(2016-08-31, 16:22)ed_davidson Wrote: Something that Josh5 is working on though which will be a benefit to those that do want Netflix is a boot from SD card (dual boot) this way you will be able to boot to the clunky Android just for Netflix.

Sent from my iPhone
Your spilling my beans man Smile

Sent from my LG-F320
Oops.

Sent from my iPhone
Back to you Josh5

Sent from my iPhone
(2016-08-13, 15:50)ed_davidson Wrote: @vtecatalan. Also make sure those pins are scraped really really well of insulation as some people were not getting a good connection across the pins.

Another possibility is that shorting chip pins is not the same as shorting the solder points on the other side of PCB - due to possibility it being double layer PCB. Still another possibility is the folks saying 'tomorrow is wiser today', that is give it a break and try next day. But likely as you say, especially chip pins can make poor contact due to oxidation over years, you have better chance on the solder.

I suppose I can restore the 'Backup' from my MX-Linux Helix 14.2 onto Ember 3.0.1 ? I suppose there could be issues with the Helix - Isengard differences? Anyone did try restoring backup from Helix to Isengard?

Also that remote.conf file from ray, the one that pops up a menu choice when pressing Power button still works for Ember except it seems it goes into different location?

-------------
Edit: Flashed Ember 3.0.1 and it looks I will get the nag remainder every start/reboot? I am getting second thought about this. If you give something to public, you got to make it clear up front on the download page there will be nag screen or whatever if you really don't want to make it free (as in free beer as they say).

However I was able to restore my backup from Helix without any issues so far, including the custom skin I use 'Confluence hwy-2015 mod'.

The remote.conf from Helix doesn't seem to work, that is it won't shutdown the box, also when I used it to go 'Home' when I stopped watching a movie, it went to Home screen allright but then the OK button and the four arrows didn't work, had to pull the plug on it. But the pause and stop movie playing works fine.

How would I go back to MX-Linux Helix 14.2 without using that Android revert image from Ember site? BTW why is that revert file so humungous? Even Ember seems to be very large, 105MB no less.
Well, I got myself into a hole. I put in remote.conf that ray put up for us and now my remote doesn't work. Tried to use the Android revert from Ember site and it refuses to boot, on repeated trying it just starts Ember. Also tried Android revert from MyGica forum which worked for me in past with MX Linux but no luck with Ember, it just won't budge. It is like the reset button simply doesn't work, it gets totally ignored. What kind of 'reset' button is that which allows the existing firmware to boot?

What to do?

(2016-07-04, 13:25)raymw Wrote: Post: #1866

For your remote to properly work (assuming it is one of the normal as supplied ATV1200 or ATV1220 remotes) then you should add the correct remote.conf file using File Manager to the root//Configs/kodi directory. You can download a suitable remote.conf file form my Dropbox public folder here :- https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17319514/remote.zip The small file you will download is zipped for good reason so just unzip it and you will have the relevant remote.conf file you need to copy to your box root//Configs/kodi folder. ...

Carry out a full cold reboot after making the above changes as until then the changes will not commit, and then hopefully all will be working fine.

Obviously I have to repeat the usual caveat that you carry out all the above procedures entirely at your own risk of course.

What's cold reboot? Is that pulling the plug and reinserting? Anyway I would say the replacement file did take, else why would my remote stop working? I even checked batteries but they are OK.
Perhaps the fault lies with Ember itself, I mentioned that when backing out of movie to Home Kodi desktop, my Ok button as well as arrows around it stopped working, the rest of the buttons still worked, and reboot fixed that. That was with the remote.conf I was using in MX-Linux (also provided by ray, with that menu choice when pressing power button on remote). Then I got the idea that perhaps this new remote.conf here will work better and it got me stuck proper.

I suspect this remote stopping operating has nothing to do with the the supplied remote.conf file being somehow 'wrong', rather it is Ember which broke it. I''d say those guys use underhanded tactics preventing the box to be flashed back to whatever, they know which side their bread is buttered on IMO. It starts with nag screen and ends with underhanded practices. I flashed boxes many times, I service nine ATV1200 boxes (of which eight are running MX-Linux now) and flashed from messed up MX-Linux back to MyGica Android couple times, in case someone wonders if I know what I am doing. That flashing SD card now doesn't take and neither does the another with the Android revert which Ember team supplies on their download page. I am eager to hear from them, I believe they look in here from time to time.
Can't you just use a usb keyboard??
  • 129(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes5