NOOB with questions!
Wink 
Hey everyone. I hope im posting this in the right section but im not positive so bare with me please.

I am trying to get rid of cable cause its so damn expensive and i heard this was a great alternative. Right now I don't have a ATV however I'm looking for a 2nd get one because it sounds like they are capable of being jail broken and the 3rd gens are not. my goal is to have an untethered one simply because i don't want to have to have it hooked to my computer to use.

So once i get my hands on a ATV2 Im curious what I need to do inorder to get it to match this ------> ATV2 Untethered

What are the steps I need to go through. I have a iMac and i think i need to follow these directions ---->http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW..._2#ATV_5.x

Does following these directions i just posted do the jailbreak and the install of FRODO or are those two separate steps? If so whats a good way to jailbreak it?

Once that's all done, How do I install apps that allow me to watch Movies, TV shows like HBO stuff and what not?

Thanks! I know i sound like an idiot, but if you help me a little I can usually figure it out as I go just need a little nudge.
XBMC will not inherently cost less money because XBMC itself provides no video content. You must still get video from somewhere, like a local library of video files or a service on the Internet.

Jailbreaking is a different step than installing XBMC. Buying an ATV2 really isn't the most cost effective way to get XBMC anymore. Check out the Hardware sub-forum for better ideas: http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=112
I thought a ATV2 would allow me to get access to service like 1 channel and watch tv and what not from there
Like I said, it's not something that XBMC itself provides, and it's not exactly legal, so we don't talk about 1channel on XBMC.org (see forum rules (wiki)). If you wish to use it, that is up to you. We can, however, help you with XBMC itself, and I will throw you a bone and say that any add-on that runs on the ATV2 should be able to run on anything that runs XBMC. An OUYA (wiki), for example, runs XBMC better than an ATV2 and it only costs $100.
With an OUYA can I stream content from my Drobo to it? i have hundreds of HD shows and Movies
Yep
hmm. aside from free stuff, it does'nt look like its worth my time. unless you want to talk off the site and explain to me a little better how it would be better. I already stream my movies and TV shows to my Samsung TV and it works somewhat ok
Thanks for the help.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NOOB with questions!0