RaspPi vs. Ouya
So, I've been using a RaspPi (Xbian) for my XBMC fix with my main go to addon being MashUp for quite a while now. I was thinking about getting an Ouya and replacing the RaspPi (I know, big spender). To be honest, the RaspPi has frozen up a few times while trying to stream. I was wondering if the power behind Ouya would assist with that and if is a wise, but thrifty choice? Thanks!
I don't have any experience with a RasPi, but I do have an Ouya and a NUC Celeron running Openelec. My Ouya runs XBMC great and I actually think it runs XBMC better than my NUC celeron. I mainly stream content from the internet as opposed to a home library.
That is another part to consider. I do have a decent library that I would like to use with an external USB drive. Anyone out there use these features much?
you tried openelec? you running from a usb 3 stick, are you over-clocked, what skin you running?
No, no, no, confluence
try those tips what i mentioned, should see a huge difference in speed.
Past troubleshooting, any insight on Ouya?
Ouya has been great for me. The ability to run native android apps is a huge plus and HD movies are smooth.
Quote:That is another part to consider. I do have a decent library that I would like to use with an external USB drive. Anyone out there use these features much?

It works great with one usb drive connected. Doesn't support multiple drives connected to a hub at the moment.
Ouya. No contest here. Quad core Tegra 3 vs single core Broadcom.

Having used both - with the Pi I was constantly waiting for the little loading bar in the bottom right corner when performing searches or list large directories. On the Ouya I wasn't. Despite its well developed Linux versions of XBMC, the Pi is and always will be a sluggish device. It just doesn't have the chops for a snappy XBMC experience. It is also worth noting that the bulk of XBMC dev on android seems to have focused on the Ouya of late. Koying, Davila etc are all working hard to get it working as well as possible.
XBMC Running on:
- Intel i5 & GTX 980
- Intel NUC i3 Thunderbolt Edition
- Sony Xperia Z3 & Z3 Tablet
- Pivos XIOS DS M1
- Raspberry Pi 3

If my post was helpful please click the +Reputation button.
Great information coming through. Thanks guys!
I had an Ouya for a couple of weeks and the XBMC performance was indeed very good and way better than my cousins RaspPi!
However I've sold mine because I need a strong WiFi Signal and the Ouya just doesn't have that (it's worse than for example the WiFi on my Pivos Xios).
So be warned if you need a good WiFi signal over a longer distance, the Ouya might not be the best choice for you.
I have Ouya for couple weeks and Rasp for a year now. Ouya in menu is very fast, but response time is uneven- some times it lags and then chases for real time.
Main HUGE disadvantage - XBMC on Ouya can't set refresh rate to movie framerate. In effect it is never fluent. Jitter is very visible and annoying in horizontal camera pan scenes. It seems that the Ouya development team is not able to cope with this probloem (and with audio pass-thru), what makes the device useless for me..
Rasp is not a speed deamon in menu, but video (even 30Mbit/s 1080p over ethernet) is perfectly fluent. There are no problems with multiple storages on USB, HDMI-CEC works perfectly (CEC allows you to controll XBMC using your TV remote). And it's cheaper.
The CEC function has been a great feature recently with the RaspPi. I was using either a tablet or my phone as a remote until that kicked in.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
RaspPi vs. Ouya0