Macmini - Optical output
Hi,

I hope someone can help me with the following. I just bought a macmini a few days ago and (of course) use XBMC to play my videocontent. I have linked the macmini to my tv by hdmi and have run a separate mini jack kabel (Toslink - 3,5mm) from the macmini headphone output to my amplifier. Somehow I only get sound when playing movies through my hdmi (tv) and not the amp. In general sound preferences in the mac mini I have selected optical as output (not Hdmi) and the same in XBMC when playing a movie (I select optical output in the menu below when running the movie). Do I have to change any other preferences somewhere? I haven't switched off the macmini since I installed XBMC and changed the sound settings. Could that be the problem?

Hope someone can enlighten me. Txs in advance.
If it is the last mac mini. you don't have toslink. Only analog headphone and digital HDMI.
Kodi 20.1 with Aeon MQ9, PC with Windows 10, Nvidia shield with latest android
Of course mac minis use toslink... Here specs:
Audio line out/headphone minijack (digital/analog)

I have one and use it...
But doen't really see what you do wrong
Thanks for the replies. I don't know what's going wrong either. Isn't there some kind of preference that overrides the choice for optical sound output when you have an hdmi cable plugged in (and that I have to switch off)? haven't had much time yet but I will try spotified this evening and see if the sound does work then (in which case it has something to do with XBMC). If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know. Txs!
@jhonny30

I didn't know that. Thanks a lot for that information.
Kodi 20.1 with Aeon MQ9, PC with Windows 10, Nvidia shield with latest android
Try setting the default output in osx system settings - audio to the optical coax and then set the device in xbmc to "default". Maybe this helps...

Also check the osx audio-midi-setup tool.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Macmini - Optical output0