is xbmcscripts.com down?
ultimately enderw is not required to be at your beck and call. he has gratiously volunteered his time, server and bandwidth (all of which cost money) and asked for nothing in return (not even a banner ad). you should keep that in mind at all times.
(asteron @ feb. 22 2006,01:17 Wrote:ultimately enderw is not required to be at your beck and call. he has gratiously volunteered his time, server and bandwidth (all of which cost money) and asked for nothing in return (not even a banner ad). you should keep that in mind at all times.
while that is true, if he no longer wishes to host the site it is his responsibility to inform someone of this so another arrangement can be made. i'm sure that there are other people who would be more than happy to do this, they just need some form of communication to let them know that their assistance is needed.
hello,

whats up with the site? no comeback?

it's time to think about an alternative...

i'm very interesting set up a new site (php+mysql based).
also webspace i no problem, we have much capacity free.

btw. the xbmcscripts.com site was not really "state of the art" - poor functions and no clear structure...

what do you think, what should we do...?

cheers lolol
if enderw's site is going down it will not be the first time this has happened. i think it was threezee who had a similar script database that can be accessed from the xbox.

for me i think the most important factor of a replacement would be longterm availability. whipping up a database driven site can be done in less than an hour with ruby-on-rails (not that i could) but keeping the site alive is harder.

somehow making the site more portable (hosting in different locations) might be something to think about. there should be a mechanism of insulating site availability from suffering from high operating costs / maintaner absence. perhaps a p2p solution? a rotating site redirection?
**note to self: remove xbmcscripts intigration from default skin
wait a sec give the guy a chance:

Quote: it is his responsibility to inform someone of this so another arrangement can be made.

its not his responsibility to be slave to you some people do have lifes.

asteron is right:
Quote:ultimately enderw is not required to be at your beck and call. he has gratiously volunteered his time, server and bandwidth (all of which cost money) and asked for nothing in return (not even a banner ad). you should keep that in mind at all times.

dali71 since you so happy to do this why dont you do one and see how easy it is.

lolol i dont no how the site lacked functions. how many fuctions do you want for a script site.
read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!
sites back up for me now..... just a heads up
hmm not for me.. Rolleyes.
Sad 
is this why when i download a script through xbmc i get an error saying that the file isnt in zip format? it just started doing this this weekend.
([email protected] @ feb. 23 2006,10:05 Wrote:wait a sec give the guy a chance:

Quote: it is his responsibility to inform someone of this so another arrangement can be made.

its not his responsibility to be slave to you some people do have lifes.

asteron is right:
Quote:ultimately enderw is not required to be at your beck and call. he has gratiously volunteered his time, server and bandwidth (all of which cost money) and asked for nothing in return (not even a banner ad). you should keep that in mind at all times.

dali71 since you so happy to do this why dont you do one and see how easy it is.

lolol i dont no how the site lacked functions. how many fuctions do you want for a script site.
perhaps if you had a basic command of the english language you would understand that i said it was his responsibility to contact someone, not me in particular. i said this because several people have offered to host the site, but needed to know that their services were actually required before going forward with the actual implementation of said offers. while it appears that the site is back up, it does not seem to be functioning properly (meaning that any link you click on brings the message "fatal error: cannot instantiate non-existent class: dmconfig in /home/httpd/vhosts/xbmcscripts.com/httpdocs/administrator/components/com_docman/classes/docman_config.class.php on line 88"). thankfully, dreadnort from xbox-scene has created a site here to help out the community. if you really believe that i am being petty by expecting someone who has provided a service that has become indispensable to the community as a whole to act in a professional manner, then i really don't know what to tell you.
before enderw started his site, he asked if we were ok with it. we gave him our blessing and dismantled our own scriptpage.

i haven't heard a word from enderw since this all started, and the designated maintainer '[xc]d-ice' is unaware of what is going on. he hasn't been able to reach enderw (i dont have enderw's contactinfo).

this is quite unacceptable imho. if a new solution is found, team xbmc must have the isp details so we can investigate if something similar happens.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

hrmph...first of all, a big sorry to all of you guys. this is in no way intended from my part and the time it happened couldn't possibly have been more inconvienient.

now for some background on why all of this went as it went. about 13 days ago i went on a trip to australia. the server went down at around that time so i sent a mail to the server admin who either did something or just waited, at least the server is up now. the page wasn't exactly the the main thing i had in mind when going down here, and even less after i was in a minibus crashing into another car. the past week has been a total mess with and while internet access has been good i haven't been in good shape to even think about it. i'm quite well now, but unfortunately i'm not sure i can fix it from this machine.

now that all that is said, i started that page over a year ago, and while it's been up and down now and then i think things have been kinda stable. i don't think some of you grasp how uch work that has to be put in running such a page (obviously, since it breaks when not leaving it constant attention). since august i haven't been much around, this has been fairly well explained on these boards and on the homepage too, which is why i employed other people to maintain it.

i'll see what i can do about it now, but it might not be fixed until 10th of march. i'm sorry about the trouble, but there's nothing i would have done otherwise as i fortunately have a life to live. i might add that i have lost much of my interest in xbmc scripts so if someone really clever has a nice design and  backbone on a site and want to build a new xbmcscripts.com i won't be displeased with that...just know that you're in for a lot of work. a page looking just the same as this one seems like a waste of time though as you'll likely not get it in shape as this one until i get home anyways (please don't interpret this the wrong way, it's more like if creating a new site it should have a system that is more suitable for how it's used...docman has some flaws in this regard). not dissing your effort to do something though, that's great.

thanks a lot to the people who wrote supportive posts in this thread, it's been great too see.

enderw

btw, my mail is [email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email] . i only have time to answer the most impoartant mails though, so asking when the site is gonna be ok won't help.

xbmcscripts.com administrator
sorry to hear enderw, let me clarify what i meant.

i understand that shit happens, thats totally understandable.
but not knowing whats happening is unacceptable. sorry, i don't mean to be rude here, it's just not something we can work with.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

i totally understand that and i didn't react negative on your posts at all. the flow of information can be better in the future (if someone had mailed me at that mail i would've been reachable and i thought most people of imprtance had it..obviously my bad). also i can give the server admin's email to the xbmc team (perhaps along with dns info and ftp access...would have to ask about that). my time on here is very limited nowadays though as there's things happening all the time, but if there's anything please ask and i'll try to reply when available.

seems like some files were broken, so i'll see if it can be fixed easily...

ok, time to tell what happened after some investigation. the server was dos attacked and the server company pulled the plug on it until things cooled down. the site is now on a another server, but some things were broken in the move. will have to look into that later, when i cannot say at the moment, at worst it will take two weeks, at best much shorter (the server admin is looking into the permissions now).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
is xbmcscripts.com down?0