Audio System Advice
I can use some advice.

I run XBMC on a PC. I used to run the audio out via Sound Blaster to my Klipsch Pro Media 5.1's, but its amplifier eventually died. Sad

So, I bought a crappy LG LHB535 Home Theater System and ditched the included speakers for my Klispchs, and am just using the HDMI from my NVidia board to send audio/video.

This has worked okay, but has a couple of problems:
1) When playing LPCM or 5.1-Audio FLACs, the center channel comes out the rear-right. (I think center is coming out of subwoofer, but am not certain.)
2) The "Night Mode" volume normalization on the LHB535 is crappy compared to the Sound Blaster, which makes late-night movies rough on the neighbors.
3) It requires a separate remote-control to adjust audio.
4) After pausing a video and resuming there's a 1.5-second delay before audio resumes.
5) Skipping too frequently in a movie can make audio stop completely, requiring the HTS to need restarting.

I was happier with the simple Sound Blaster setup, but haven't been able to find a simple 5.1 amplifier to replace it. I'm not crazy about spending money on a receiver that I won't use 95% of the features of.

Any ideas?
As for Audio for PC's i swear at Creative. Perfect sound, especially the new THX sets.
Any receiver is better than any of those "all in one" systems. You really don't want anything else than HDMI these days.
I appreciate the advice, thanks!

After much deliberation, I opted to return to the analog world. It's just so much nicer to have a simple, single remote control for volume & power, and the volume normalization on the Sound Blaster works astonishingly well.

I found a used Klipsch Promedia 5.1 set for $90 locally, which is much cheaper than a new receiver and powered subwoofer would have been, even used.

Perhaps one day when I'm rich I will go all-in on a proper home theater sound system, a dedicated room that can bear its loud volume, and a programmable single remote control.

For now, I'm a happy camper. Big Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio System Advice0