XBMC, iOS and make noise
Apple is reducing the reasons to do the jailbreak like on iOS7 that brought some of the famous jailbreak tweaks like the Control Center, better multitasking, FaceTime using Mobile Network and others, but there is one app that makes most users can’t use “Vanilla" version is the XBMC, I know that XBMC uses private APIs and other things like Addons, but there is no way to get through XBMC on the App Store, for example make a petition we have enough community to make “noise", most users do Jailbreak mainly because of XBMC.

Thanks!!
Apple loses more than us.
I'm very skeptical that a petition would be successful, but if people wanted to try to petition Apple to make the necessary changes for a non-gimped XBMC in the App Store, go for it.
Definitely won't happen. The terms of the store go against the GPL, and we can't relicense. Further, XBMC includes an addon system that Apple will never accept, and we use a semi-private video decoder that they frown on. Unless Apple turns into a literally different company, XBMC is never getting into the store.
Actually, there's nothing in GPLv2+ that prevents going into the App Store. GPLv3, yes but not GPLv2. As long as the source code is public, it is fine. However, there are many, many other issues that would never pass App Store acceptance.
(2013-12-23, 03:15)natethomas Wrote: Definitely won't happen. The terms of the store go against the GPL, and we can't relicense. Further, XBMC includes an addon system that Apple will never accept, and we use a semi-private video decoder that they frown on. Unless Apple turns into a literally different company, XBMC is never getting into the store.

I understand but there is any chance?
(2013-12-23, 03:34)davilla Wrote: Actually, there's nothing in GPLv2+ that prevents going into the App Store. GPLv3, yes but not GPLv2. As long as the source code is public, it is fine. However, there are many, many other issues that would never pass App Store acceptance.

Oh, I hadn't realized there was a distinction between v2 and v3 with regards to the app store TOS. Interesting stuff.
Think various Android based mobile phone carriers and their use use of locked boot loaders and secure boot to boot a signed GPLv2 kernel. Perfectly 'legal' as long as the kernel source code is public but a lot of good that does you under secure boot.

Apple is not the only one that locks down their devices.
(2013-12-23, 03:45)jakuya Wrote:
(2013-12-23, 03:15)natethomas Wrote: Definitely won't happen. The terms of the store go against the GPL, and we can't relicense. Further, XBMC includes an addon system that Apple will never accept, and we use a semi-private video decoder that they frown on. Unless Apple turns into a literally different company, XBMC is never getting into the store.

There's a very slim chance I will get hit by a falling rock while sleeping tonight. But that's not going to make me stay awake Smile
There is also the question whether XBMC will be open to some adaptation - from my understanding this would be particularly required to the add-on system. Given VLC is on IOS without jailbreak, there must be a way to get XBMC on if some compromises are made. If there is a "all-or-nothing" stand on this, I am sure that the chance of davilla being hit by a falling rock during sleep is more likely than getting a full unadapted XBMC into the store ;-)
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
(2013-12-23, 05:05)davilla Wrote:
(2013-12-23, 03:45)jakuya Wrote:

There's a very slim chance I will get hit by a falling rock while sleeping tonight. But that's not going to make me stay awake Smile

Hey,
And someone can make a petition and can use my text:
"Apple is reducing the reasons to do the jailbreak like on iOS 7 that brought some of the famous jailbreak tweaks like the Control Center, better Multitasking, FaceTime using Mobile Network and others, but there is one app that makes most users can’t use “Vanilla" version is the XBMC, I know that XBMC uses private APIs and other things like Addons, but we need this app on App Store and if we need, we will make for it, please sign this petition, together we can make noise!"

Thanks!
Apple users should accept the fact that they are not allowed to do what they want with their device. You know this when you buy one now live with it. Apples policies are against everything that FOSS stands for.

I personally will leave the project if xbmc shows up on the app store.
(2013-12-23, 11:31)wsnipex Wrote: I personally will leave the project if xbmc shows up on the app store.

and I doubt you would be the only one.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
xbox users should accept the fact that they are not allowed to do what they want with their device. You know this when you buy one now live with it. Microsoft's policies are against everything that FOSS stands for.

I personally will make fun of anyone who forgets that XBMC started out on one of the most locked down devices possible.
Well Ned, while I myself am an iOS user, the analogy with the original Xbox remains unbroken. It started on one of the most locked down devices but it was installable there only after a jailbreak of sort. No?
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
(2013-12-23, 11:35)Ned Scott Wrote: xbox users should accept the fact that they are not allowed to do what they want with their device. You know this when you buy one now live with it. Microsoft's policies are against everything that FOSS stands for.

I personally will make fun of anyone who forgets that XBMC started out on one of the most locked down devices possible.

you can make fun all you want, xbmc never ran on an unmodded xbox installed via official channels. And I never had one either.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC, iOS and make noise0