Win First HTPC A10-6800K Build and THANK YOU!
Star 
New here and just new to the whole XBMC world and I must say this is all so amazing. Thank you everyone for all the time and effort you all put into sharing and helping build such an amazing experience!

I found XBMC because I have a 4TB drive, with about 500 dvd rips on it, that I've wanted to plug into my 55" Sharp LCD and use, which replaced my 400 disc Sony DVD player. I searched for Blu-Ray drives, mini Android machines and even bought an Incredisonic player (that for the money is a nice little, but slow, machine). Then I found this forum and all the skins available and it just blew my mind and not I am in the planning phase of building my first HTPC. I have a few questions, which I'll post below, but here is my projected setup.

My setup is looking like this:

Case: nMEDIAPC 6000B

CPU: AMD A8-5600K Trinity, AMD A8-6600K Richland or AMD A10-6800K Richland

Motherboard: ASUS F2A85-M/CSM or ASUS F2A55-M/CSM

Power supply: Rosewill Stallion Series RD450-2-SB 450W

Hard Drive: 256GB SSD (Brand price dependent)

System RAM: 2 X Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 for 16GB total

Optical Drive: LG GGW-H20L Blu-Ray Burner/HD-DVD player BEING PULLED FROM AN OLD TOWER

OS: Windows 7 (Home, Prem or Ultimate depending on price) with XBMC

CPU Cooler/Heat-sink: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Storage: 2 X Seagate 4TB USB 3.0 drives

Any thought or comments would be helpful on deciding what to get. I'm going to start buying the pieces mid-January and build it as they come. So nothing is set in stone quite yet.

My 1st question is: Would I see a huge different if I went with an i3 or i5 over the AMD chips? This will 80% of the time be an XBMC machine, maybe some Live HD TV via a tuner but I'm not a first person shooter guy, but wouldn't mind throwing an older version of Command & Conquor and the current SimCity on the machine. But I don't want to turn this into a $1000 rig.

2nd: Will the Radeon HD on the CPU be enough for full 1080P support for the videos I'd be watching with the machine? Or should I plan on getting a dedicated slim profile video card? and what should I expect if I only go with the on-board Radeon on the chip?

Thanks in advance!
What kind of OS are you planning to use?

Windows, Linux, openlec etch

For windows 16mb ram is to much with 4gb you can manage 1080p 3d

For Linux you only need 2mb ram

Your hard drive you can go for a sdd of 32gb only for os and you can use a external HDD USB 3.0 or a NAS

Blue ray is not working of the box with xbmc you need a player like powerblueray (search for that on the forum, I don't use my blue ray drive)

I forget search for a good remote control RF, IR, Bluetooth

Intel CPU are better but you can go with any AMD from 1.6ghz dual core to up but if you planting to go hardcore gamer go for i5 and 8gb of ram

It never hurt to have a better video card , a dedicate video card can do much better
So I did most of my HTPC shopping after Christmas and This is what I got.

Case: nMEDIAPC 6000 from Newegg for 79.99

CPU: AMD A10-6800K Richland from MicroCenter for 99.99

Motherboard: BioStar HiFi A85W from MicroCenter for 29.99 (69.99 minus 40.00 bundled with a CPU, I wasn't expecting that and was pumped!)

Power supply: Be Quiet 480W PSU from eBay for 50.00 and free shipping (BestOffer from 89.99)

Hard Drive: Crucial 120 GB mSATA M500 1.8" drive with 2.5" adapter from Amazon for 103.44 and 11.40 adapter.

System RAM: 4 XCrucial Ballistix Sport Very Low Profile 8GB DDR3-1600 1.35V UDIMM 240-Pin BLS8G3D1609ES2LX0 for 32GB total from Amazon for 62.99 a pair. (Got a steal from a friend that works for Amazon)

Optical Drive: LG GGW-H20L Blu-Ray Burner/HD-DVD player BEING PULLED FROM AN OLD TOWER

OS: Windows 8 Evaluation Version, already missing Windows 7, so I think I'll go back to that eventually (Home, Prem or Ultimate depending on price) with XBMC

CPU Cooler/Heat-sink: Silverstone Argon AR02 from NewEgg for 27.99 (The Evo 212 was too tall for the case, this one just does with 2mm of clearance. But the included 92mm fan is SOON LOUD!)

Storage: 2 X Seagate 4TB USB 3.0 drives and 1 internal Seagate ST4000DM000

Would love some suggestions on a 92mm silent fan for the Heatsink... Anyone have any recommendations?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
First HTPC A10-6800K Build and THANK YOU!0