Solved Videos from external USB HDD wont play
Video 
Hi,
I am few days newone for using XBMC. I have 12.3 version installed on PC with Win 7 Ult. Everything working excellent, but I have no possibility to play videos from external USB HDD.
XBMC view this external HDD and there are mapped files/folders into library from this external HDD. I can see files/folders from this hdd in XBMC, there are loaded preview really images from those movies, but if I click to play, there is show "Working..." and nothing more happens for few minutes. If I minimize XBMC and show Windows desktop, run Windows Task Manager, there is working xbmc.exe process still about 50%. I tried copy some files from external HDD to internal and from internal hdd working same files excelent. I tried play some movies from internal Windows media player from Windows desktop from external HDD and this working excelent.
Here is URL link for debug log
http://tomasbenda.cz/download/xbmc.log
Do you have any idea, what is wrong?
Is the USB drive attached to the PC or on a home network? If the latter, and you're connecting to it as a mapped drive, try pointing to it as an SMB share and see if that works.
Hi Bruce,
thank you for your reply. USB drive is attached directly to the USB port on same PC.
So I have additional information. I tried use MPC-HC like default player in XBMC and there is no problem with play movies from this external HDD. If I return back play video from default XBMC player, there is same issue with "Working..." message and freeze XBMC.
But I really want use default XBMC implemented video player because is much more user friendly and is not necessary try to find optimal MPC-HC and XBMC settings or try to find another video player.

Is this really bug or I have some wrong settings?

Do you have any idea for fix it?

Thank you
What kind of files are you trying to play? I'm assuming you installed the LAV filters during setup?

I know MPC-HC seems like it might be configuration hell, but it pretty much works right out of the box, especially since it now includes those LAV filters by default. It's been my goto player for years. If you decide to go that route, feel free to PM me with any questions.
So definitely I find what was wrong. I had there older LAV filters (v 0.58.1). So I install newest and few files is playing now, but not all. All files, what wont play are mp4. So I will try to rerip files, what wont play to another format.
Thank you Bruce for your time
No problem. Maybe before you rerip those files, check to see that mp4 is selected in LAV splitter and LAV video.
In LAV Splitter is mp4 checked, but in LAV Video is not possible to "check" MPEG-4 checkbox in Hardware Acceleration section on any select in roll menu. I have setup there DXVA2 (native). In list "Formats", there is checkbox MPEG-4 checked. Is there any possibility to set up for use MPEG-4 for my configuration? I have Intel 4500 GMA grafic card.
MP4 is greyed out on my desktop PC which also has an Intel video. Guess that's just the way it is.

But what I've discovered is that, yeah, it looks as if MBT can't play MP4s with its current LAV filters (all my rips are MKVs, so I've never noticed this before). And MP4s that play fine with MPC-HC as a standalone player won't play inside MBT when it's set as an external player. I think I read somewhere that MBT uses its own LAV filters no matter what, which maybe corroborates this.

I'll ask in the MediaBrowser forum and see if it's known.

Edit: word is, MBT does have a problem with "some" MP4s. No specifics.
Thank you Bruce for confirmation my inference. I have really no possibility to play any video file *.mp4 riped in H.264/MPEG-4 codec. So I am now reriping about 160 movies with another codec. If will be necessary, I can send more detail about my hardware and software configuration.
Thank you again. Your answer was very helpful
bendik, just to add, the problem seems to be with AAC, not the video. If so, might be simpler to just convert the audio and remux.
i have also an issue. i first had mpc-hc with which i could play any mp4 files (tested). after i installed xbmc, those files don't play anymore on mpc-hc. they play fine with xbmc. should i setup another default player to play mp4 files or any video files inside xbmc ?
Why are you using xbmc?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Videos from external USB HDD wont play0