Bug Context menu gone wild. Watched and Unwatched w/o context aware entries.
Areas where it need making the conxt menu entries to be context aware

TVSHOWS > Video > Files (duplicate entry's not content aware and Further duplicated on **MANAGE**

Image Image

Movies > Video > Files (duplicate entry's not content aware and Further duplicated on **MANAGE**

Its better because Unwatched is content aware. but still.

Image Image

SETS > Video > Files

Movie sets (node) /or Movie set Library

(duplicate entry's not content aware and Further duplicated on **MANAGE**

Image Image
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/14737
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Thansk for the trac link

Yes seems to be going nowhere that trac.. Needs cleaning up the duplications and making the entries only show when they are needed. (context aware. Anything else seems a complication.

Yes the mark should be Mark a Episode/Show or Movie as watched or unwatched.

In the case where a season and some episodes are unwatched the it makes sense to have options Mark watched and Mark unwatched would be content aware and in that case both options show up. anything else one or the other.

Most certainly Remove them from Manage.... makes no sense to duplicate them there If needs to be used them from main context is more then enough. duplication is unnecessary and redundant.
IMO they just need dropping from the main list - they're for managing content just like all the other stuff under Manage.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

That takes care of duplication not the problem of both entries showing up when not required i.e not being content aware at correct level of navigation and to what state things already been flagged.

For e.g You have a TV series which all have been watched or marked watched yet the options to mark as watched still show up, that to me is wrong, only the mark as unwatched should show up, no? All other options behave like that.
Same for Movie sets node and also in Movie set library view that you watched the set yet Mark watched still shows up even though nothing else can be marked as watched.

TBH those entries for remote only users are used a lot so having to goto manage is extra steps but hey... At this stage any improvement is better than none on both those counts.

I vote for consistency all around.
(2013-12-27, 04:56)jmarshall Wrote: IMO they just need dropping from the main list - they're for managing content just like all the other stuff under Manage.

there were a lot of complaints when this was moved to "manage...." only.

but indeed it shouldn't be duplicate.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Is there a link to said complaints - I'd like to see the rationale.

@jm what that to me or Martinjn?
(2013-12-29, 00:08)jmarshall Wrote: Is there a link to said complaints - I'd like to see the rationale.

See http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=154474&page=6 and in particular Post#51 pointing to the blog entry for August cycle http://xbmc.org/xbmc-13-gotham-august-cycle/#comments
Thanks. If anyone is using these frequently, I'd love to here why you're pressing the buttons to mark as watched, and how often.

It may be that there's some common usage that we're missing.

Movies: 6 clicks (Manage) versus 4 (Direct).
Shows: 7 clicks vs 3/4. Could be reduced to 6 with Manage on the bottom of the menu rather than 2nd to bottom.
Episodes: 5 clicks versus 4.
Seasons: No Manage... menu at all (inconsistency).

If Mark as Watched is the most used "Manage" item, it could be moved to the top of the list, making it 4 clicks for all (Context, Up, Manage, Mark as Watched)

Jonathan

One comment I noticed from the blog comments

Quote:‘W’ is a different function than what’s in the context menu.
If you select a show where half the episodes have been watched and hit ‘W’ it marks them all as watched. You can’t specify that you want ‘W’ to mark everything as Unwatched which is a problem if you have “Hide Watched” enabled.

I agree with the others, having watched/unwatched on the core Context menu was far more convenient as it’s been the most frequently used menu item for me, even as a keyboard user, since it’s the only way (AFAIK) to specifically invoke marking shows Watched or Unwatched. For those with remotes, it’s very likely even more of an annoyance.

No idea if this is true as it's a function I never use.
(2013-12-29, 03:01)jmarshall Wrote: If Mark as Watched is the most used "Manage" item, it could be moved to the top of the list, making it 4 clicks for all (Context, Up, Manage, Mark as Watched)

Jonathan

That sounds a sensible solution to me.
(2013-12-29, 12:30)jjd-uk Wrote: One comment I noticed from the blog comments

Quote:‘W’ is a different function than what’s in the context menu.
If you select a show where half the episodes have been watched and hit ‘W’ it marks them all as watched. You can’t specify that you want ‘W’ to mark everything as Unwatched which is a problem if you have “Hide Watched” enabled.

I agree with the others, having watched/unwatched on the core Context menu was far more convenient as it’s been the most frequently used menu item for me, even as a keyboard user, since it’s the only way (AFAIK) to specifically invoke marking shows Watched or Unwatched. For those with remotes, it’s very likely even more of an annoyance.

No idea if this is true as it's a function I never use.

Thats if for keyboards, if you dont use a keyboard then forget it otherwise need to map remotes to do this/similar

Clearly mark watched and unwatched is a important issue, but please dont forget its not just the location of these thats a problem, the enrteis should also be content aware throughout.
Mentioned that because it has been raised by other people in these discussions that Users who want quick access to setting the Watched status should map a button on their remote to "W" so it's always a 1 click function.
Ya, I understand.

I use no more or no less than other options, the only point of this thread was to resolve the bugs associated wit these options as there are 2 bugs with this, the duplication and when both options are visible even when only one should be visible.

But obviously it steers passionate responses and thus far I agree with jmarshall, hoever theres still the matter of context awareness which is being side tracked.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Context menu gone wild. Watched and Unwatched w/o context aware entries.1