OS X How do I debug a button press from my remote?
Background:

I'm using a Logitech Harmony Remote 555 with XBMC 12.3 on my 2013 Mac Mini with OSX Mavericks. I'm having some issues where some of the button presses trigger the wrong action (Play becomes Pause and vica versa), or not an action at all. I'm using a Plex device profile in the Logitech Harmony Remote Software. I realize this is probably not the best option, but it has worked flawlessly up until about 6 months ago.

My question:

I'd like to debug/log what XBMC receives from my remote, and see what actions it tries to trigger. I have enabled the debug log in Settings » System » Debugging, but I get no key presses in ~/Library/Logs/xbmc.log.

Keypresses from the keyboard are logged, but not button presses from the remote. What should I do?
Hmm, if no key presses are being logged then OS X might be stealing them before XBMC sees them. Have you tried these tricks: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...s_takeover

The 10.9 update might have reset something even if you've tried it in the past.
The remote buttons still work in XBMC even though they aren't visible in the log. So I guess OSX doesn't steal them?
If XBMC is being started at login then try a 2 second delay (see my post here) or turning off option for remote to start XBMC (see my post here).
(2013-12-30, 08:40)Gigantur Wrote: If XBMC is being started at login then try a 2 second delay (see my post here) or turning off option for remote to start XBMC (see my post here).

Thanks. But this is a fix for when the remote doesn't work at all, right? My remote works, but some of the buttons (like play and pause) has swapped positions. And I would be able to fix that if I the button presses were logged in xbmc.log, but for some reason they aren't.
Have you

- selected multi remote as the remote type in XBMC settings
- assigned all the various actions to remote buttons in the Harmony configuration app? See section D: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=55660. You're using a different remote but the same principle should apply.
SpaceMonkey: Yup, I have. As I mentioned earlier, the remote worked perfectly earlier.

I'm considering deleting the device and activity entry on the Harmony altogether, and re-add it from scratch.
(2013-12-30, 10:21)monti Wrote:
(2013-12-30, 08:40)Gigantur Wrote: If XBMC is being started at login then try a 2 second delay (see my post here) or turning off option for remote to start XBMC (see my post here).

Thanks. But this is a fix for when the remote doesn't work at all, right? My remote works, but some of the buttons (like play and pause) has swapped positions. And I would be able to fix that if I the button presses were logged in xbmc.log, but for some reason they aren't.

Agree not likely relevant. I guess similarity i noticed was also no button presses at all in debug log. Perhaps this is normal?

Is the behavior the same if you quit and restart xbmc - if so then 2 sec delay definitely wont help ..

You could try unticking "allow remote to start xbmc" ..

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How do I debug a button press from my remote?0