Roku player software cracked open temporarily, root now to run XBMC later
Roku player software cracked open temporarily, root now to run XBMC later. The GTVHacker team that previously unlocked Google TV and Chromecast has found a way to run its commands as root on any Roku 2 or Roku 3 using the most recent software version (unfortunately, that does not at this time include Sky TV's cheap Now TV player, which runs on older software).

The entire GTVHacker team has put a lot of work into this release and we hope the Roku community enjoys it. We invite others to continue our work and are happy to share progress made while we work to further leverage the current exploits before a patch is released. In the mean time, if you have a second generation Roku, root it. And if you don’t, buy one quick!
This bug will probably get patched soon. So in other words, exploit now or forever hold your peace.

breaking-secure-boot-on-the-roku

http://www.engadget.com/2013/12/28/roku-...-3-rooted/
Persistent root done to my Roku 2 XS Smile

Non persistent done to Roku 3, hoping the blocking the updates works for now so i have at least a semi persistent root done too

Bring on the xbmc
Yay, persistent root on my Roku.
What a great small box to bless with XBMC!
Already patched as of Tuesday with 5.3 build 3063.

Damn.

all it does no when yuo enter the Wget command is clear the password line and wait for a new password

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Roku player software cracked open temporarily, root now to run XBMC later1