File stacking for tv shows
(2013-12-29, 23:45)nickr Wrote: Why have them as separate files anyway? Both avi and mkv are easy to stitch a number of files together into one.
Because he wants to? That should be reason enough. Or keeping files stored at a comfortable size to be ready to copy to cd/dvd/flash or whatever portable media. Compatibility with FAT and other old filesystems or devices.
(2013-12-30, 01:13)nickr Wrote: May I ask what recording software does this strange thing?
Lots of software. One fitting example regarding TV shows is recording software or devices. Or, himself doing it manually using whatever muxing or editing program he uses.
(2013-12-30, 11:08)nickr Wrote: OK, why don't you ask the manufacturer to fix it? There is no need to break up files like that.
The problem is with Xbmc not handling the files as it should. Also read above for reasons to have split files.
(2013-12-30, 22:12)nickr Wrote:
(2013-12-30, 11:11)Ned Scott Wrote: It's probably a limitation of the file system it uses? I've seen some devices do that before.
That still makes it a bad design.
No, it does not. I don't see why you would argue against this just because you don't use it - others might need it still. Moreover, XBMC already has the file stacking support for movie-files (link), so it's hardly a big new feature, and shouldn't be too hard to implement it for TV episodes as well (coming from a non-software developers point of view).
Talk about resurrecting dead threads LOL.

I look forward to your patches, given this is such a pressing issue and not too hard to implement.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Yep, the thread that refuses to die because it's a desired feature (eg http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=204761) with no current sensible solution (stitching a+b to make c is not sensible where a and b already exist and xbmc supports stacking as a concept).

A pending fix was alluded to '...It'll be something I'll be remedying with the new video library...' in http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=52092 (2009, chased in 2012/13 before thread being locked with no solution

The original feature request (http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/12359) was marked as closed/obsolete as 'feature request are now handled through the XBMC forum'.

Well here we are, requesting the feature (I'm a member of the user community requesting assistance from the developer community) - is there any formal feature tracking now or do we just discuss it until it goes away, thread is locked and get's reraised in another form in about 6 months or so?

We do have a 'formal' naming convention for these files (http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=TV_Shows_%28...it-episode) could we just have xbmc stack them if stacking is switched on please?
Lord it is difficult to have a conversation when people speak every 6 months LOL. I think after that history you can possibly safely assume that no developer has decided that this particular itch is worth scratching.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Any software or device that splits the source into separate files is plain retarded, there is absolutely no need for it to be done. The solution is simple, put the separated files into their own folder then use File view to play the folder making sure the setting "Play next video automatically" is enabled, the files are then played back to back.
nickr -
I'll stick around and discuss pseudo-real-time if that would help a developer Wink

jjd-uk -
Please take time to refer to my previous link for an example (one amongst many I've seen whilst researching other dead threads on the subject) - the issue isn't 'file' based, it's 'library' based, hence the .nfo query - if we have sub-parts to episodes (which we do) that advertise themselves as the same episode (which they do) can we have an **option** to display/play them as a single unit?
Is there a reason you aren't simply joining the files into one per episode?
In my case the only multipart episodes I have are hard to find tv specials that have been downloaded from youtube or other video streaming sites. Some of them I have joined, but in other cases it hasn't been possible because of mismatched framerates, resolution, codecs, between different parts. These would require re-encoding, which I try to avoid if possible.
Worth trying joining with mkvmerge.
(2014-09-26, 23:07)Steve Gillam Wrote: jjd-uk -
Please take time to refer to my previous link for an example (one amongst many I've seen whilst researching other dead threads on the subject) - the issue isn't 'file' based, it's 'library' based, hence the .nfo query - if we have sub-parts to episodes (which we do) that advertise themselves as the same episode (which they do) can we have an **option** to display/play them as a single unit?

Ok I don't fully understand your use case but it seems it could be valid. The problem is implementing file stacking for TV shows is not as simple as some here seem to think and I'm not sure if anything can be done with the way we currently work.

As others have stated why can't you simply join the the files?
(2014-09-27, 06:31)nickr Wrote: Worth trying joining with mkvmerge.

Just tried that myself, doesn't work.
(2014-09-26, 23:10)nickr Wrote: Is there a reason you aren't simply joining the files into one per episode?

(2014-09-27, 09:03)jjd-uk Wrote: Ok I don't fully understand your use case but it seems it could be valid. The problem is implementing file stacking for TV shows is not as simple as some here seem to think and I'm not sure if anything can be done with the way we currently work.

As others have stated why can't you simply join the the files?

In the interest of keeping the thread focused on the feature request I've further documented my particular use-case, along with pointers as to why I need multiple sub-parts (with or without 'stacking') rather than re-rendering, in it's original thread at http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=204761

As to 'ease of implementation' - you'd know better than we Angel Does it make a difference that this isn't stacking in the '.cd1/.cd2' file sense but a GUI operation in terms of collapsing sub-parts in episode lists (note these are 'library' terms) and contiguous payback of such (where the 'stacking' button is 'depressed' in the side bar menu)?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
File stacking for tv shows0