Win Match Refresh Rate Problem
Video 
I have a lot of 24p video files, and I have a 24p display. So, I set match refresh rate to always and for it to do a pause while changing it. This works great most of the time, but I notice on some video files that it will play for a few seconds, THEN the display refresh rate will change. The correct way that usually happens is that as soon as I pick a video to play, it changes it right away before the video gets a chance to play. Its not too much of a severe issue per se, but it can be quite jarring to start a video, watch it for a few seconds, for it to black out and pause to change the refresh rate.
I've found the same thing since switching to a new display, anyone have any ideas on this?
As I'm bored, here is a theory. Since Techrayder says it's not all files, and I'm assuming he/she meant not all 24p files, it could be the encoding of the video.

I've noticed that handbrake (for example) tends to want to use a variable frame rate by default in some of it's profiles. Other encoding software may do the same. It could be XBMC is getting confused when trying to detect this (variable) frame rate.

When I messed about with the variable frame rate option, the movie intro would start out low (11fps for eg) during the movie spool up. Typically this would be during the black fade in portion at the begining. Then it would kinda settle down.

You could use a program like mediainfo to check the properties of the files that are/aren't giving you problems. Obviously assuming the problem is the file in the first place.
HP Stream Mini w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> Toshiba 37"
Intel NUC8i3BEH w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> LG OLED55C3PUA -> S/PDIF -> Sony HT-CT80
Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> Yamaha RX-V467 -> HDMI -> Toshiba 47L7200U
(2014-01-03, 21:45)Jogee Wrote: As I'm bored, here is a theory. Since Techrayder says it's not all files, and I'm assuming he/she meant not all 24p files, it could be the encoding of the video.

I've noticed that handbrake (for example) tends to want to use a variable frame rate by default in some of it's profiles. Other encoding software may do the same. It could be XBMC is getting confused when trying to detect this (variable) frame rate.

When I messed about with the variable frame rate option, the movie intro would start out low (11fps for eg) during the movie spool up. Typically this would be during the black fade in portion at the begining. Then it would kinda settle down.

You could use a program like mediainfo to check the properties of the files that are/aren't giving you problems. Obviously assuming the problem is the file in the first place.

You know, you are probably right about this! I figured that it may have been an issue with XBMC but your theory seems pretty spot on. I'm going to do some digging on the videos that do make this problem occur and see if the framerate is variable, etc.
Well after checking the videos with mediainfo, not a single one of them are variable framerate. They are all constant 23.976. I still do have to wonder about if it has something to do with the encoding.....
Well, I did say it was only a theory. Big Grin

I did find an option in advancedsettings.xml called measurerefreshrate, but that only applies if you have sync playback to display enabled.

Good luck.
HP Stream Mini w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> Toshiba 37"
Intel NUC8i3BEH w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> LG OLED55C3PUA -> S/PDIF -> Sony HT-CT80
Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> Yamaha RX-V467 -> HDMI -> Toshiba 47L7200U
From what I'm seeing, the videos that have the problem play at the default 60 for a few seconds, then it pauses the video, goes black, and comes back playing at 24. On the videos that work without issue, the video start playing immediately at 24.
What type of hardware are you using?
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
(2014-01-04, 19:56)Piers Wrote: What type of hardware are you using?

It's a PC hooked up to an Hdtv through HDMI. The graphics card it uses is an AMD Radeon HD 7870.
(2014-01-04, 19:59)Techrayder Wrote:

It's a PC hooked up to an Hdtv through HDMI. The graphics card it uses is an AMD Radeon HD 7870.

Can you let people know the model numbers?...

(2014-01-05, 02:02)Piers Wrote:
(2014-01-04, 19:59)Techrayder Wrote:

Can you let people know the model numbers?...

I don't know exactly what you mean :/ If you mean the full computer's specs here they are:
CPU: AMD FX-6300
RAM: 8GB
GPU: HIS AMD Radeon HD 7870

Like I said, I Have it hooked up through HDMI to a 55 inch LG 55LM6400 that is 1080p 120hz. All Display settings set correctly, etc.
Can you post a screenshot of your XBMC settings? (Video playback and system).

I've experienced this as well. MKV's that are 23.976fps to begin with play correctly right off the bat, but MP4, MOV, or M4V that are 23.976 usually start playing at 60HZ refresh for a few seconds before switching. Not too big of a deal for me. Most of my content is 23.976 MP3's, but I have some concert videos that I've purchased from TourGigs.com that experience this behavior.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Match Refresh Rate Problem0