Input/Source change?
Hey Guys!

I'm successfully running Frodo 12.3 on Xubuntu 13.10 and mythtv .27 using the PVR plugin by nickr found here:http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=178207

I have a Hauppauge 2250 TV tuner with dual digital tuners each of which also has an mpeg2 analog capture (for composite, coax or S-video input).

Using the MythTV frontend i am able to easily switch between tuners and Inputs by pressing M to open the menu during live TV playback and then i can change source using the menu options.

My question is: How can i change Inputs using XBMC as a frontend so that i can acess my analog capture inputs on my card?

Many thanks!

D
Goddamn a lot of people seem to have downloaded my little compile!

All my tuners are the same (HDHR) so I am not sure how this works even from myth these days, but if you switch to a channel that needs analog, the backend should do what is necessary. Shouldn't it?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Yes it should, but I think the problem might be that Myth won't 'see' the analogue inputs as a tuner. I've got a hauppage card (DTV1000) which also has composite & S-video in, but IIRC myth doesn't 'see' those inputs as a tuner. Its been a good 6 months though since I've even looked at the myth config. If I get chance today I'll see if its possible to tie the composite input to a channel after which, as nickr says, the backend will handle the switching.

I know I could switch inputs with the card under windows, and the Hauppage software it was supplied with, because I had my sat receiver on the composite input.

Hmmm, intrigued now to find out if it can be done !!!!
It can be done, but it's a little convoluted to get the analogue inputs to show in mythtv-setup as they don't show up automatically - or not in my case, so here's what I did.

To find out what Linux sees your analogue inputs as, get to a terminal <ctrl+alt+t> and type
Code:
dmesg | less

What we are looking for is the part where Linux picks up the capture card. Keep pressing the space bar to page through the file until you come to something like this
Code:
[    9.668396] input: cx88 IR (WinFast DTV1000-T) as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1e.0/0000:02:0b.0/rc/rc1/input7
[    9.668562] rc1: cx88 IR (WinFast DTV1000-T) as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1e.0/0000:02:0b.0/rc/rc1
[    9.668572] cx88[0]/0: found at 0000:02:0b.0, rev: 5, irq: 16, latency: 32, mmio: 0xfa000000
[    9.668792] cx88[0]/0: registered device video0 [v4l2]
[    9.668937] cx88[0]/0: registered device vbi0
[    9.668973] cx88[0]/2: cx2388x 8802 Driver Manager
[    9.668995] cx88[0]/2: found at 0000:02:0b.2, rev: 5, irq: 16, latency: 32, mmio: 0xfb000000

The information you need for mythtv is in these two lines
Code:
[    9.668937] cx88[0]/0: registered device vbi0
Note that these are for my specific card and your names and devices may differ.

In mythtv-setup, go to the 'capture card setup' page. The type of card is given to you in this line
Code:
So we choose Analogue V4L capture card for the card type. At this point, myth will be showing an error next to 'Probed info'.
In the 'video device' box I had to manually enter the device address, there was nothing in the drop down box. This may vary depending on the card in use. Anyway what we want in here is the bit before the [v4l2] in the line above. So, for my card, the video device is
Code:
/dev/video0
At this point the 'Probed info' should be showing something other than an error. In my case, it was showing the name of my card followed by (cx880).
The VBI device should have already been filled in correctly, but in case it wasn't it would be /dev/vbi0 in my case. Its the name of the second registered device in the code above.
You can then finish this page.
At this point you should be looking at a page showing not only your digital tuners, but also any analogue inputs on your card.
Go back out of this page to the main menu. From here you need to map the analogue input you want to use to a channel. This is done in the 'input connections' part of the mythtv-setup. Note I had to do a channel scan even though there is not really a channel as such !!

As my analogue channel came back as channel 1, which is already defined as a DVB-T channel, I used the 'channel editor' to renumber it to 999.
This channel now shows up in my xbmc EPG, and choosing it switches the card to the composite input.

Hopefully, given this and the mythtv wiki you should be able to get analogue inputs working in mythtv as channels, giving XBMC the ability to switch your card between any of its available inputs.
Got it, thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Input/Source change?0