Unable to upgrade XBMCBuntu to 12.3
After doing the command line updates, it installed Eden 11.0 ... So that wasn't very sporty.

Then, I ran command lines to uninstall xmbc, and I figured (with xbmc removed), I can follow the normal instructions for installing xbmc. So it was the wiki instructions that said to compile manually. Unfortunately, that results in an error. And pretty much the same error for 12.2, trying to get back to at least where I was.

After that experience, and re-running command lines to install, after a few seconds it says 12.3 is installed as you mentioned. However, I cannot get it to open or anything. I try to logout of XBMCBuntu and login to XBMC, and it just brings me back to the login screen. And within XBMCBuntu, if I bring up RUN and type XBMC per the wiki instructions, that doesn't work either.
(2014-01-01, 10:43)wsnipex Wrote: Thamike, jas722: your ubuntu installs are way too old and deprecated. You'll have to upgrade to at least precise(12.04)

Thanks for the reply, can you point me in the right direction on how to do this?

I thought I removed the PPA by using the purge function however when I attempt to add the new team-xbmc ppa, I always seem to get the older version that I have installed now.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Having a similar issue:

Code:
htpcuser@xbmc-upstairs:~$ apt-cache policy xbmc
xbmc:
  Installed: 2:12.2~git20130502.1706-frodo-0oneiric
  Candidate: 2:12.2~git20130502.1706-frodo-0oneiric
  Version table:
*** 2:12.2~git20130502.1706-frodo-0oneiric 0
        500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/ppa/ubuntu/ oneiric/main i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Trying to update gives me:

Code:
htpcuser@xbmc-upstairs:~$ sudo aptitude update
htpcuser@xbmc-upstairs:~$ sudo aptitude upgrade
No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B of archives. After unpacking 0 B will be used.

?!?!
If you actually go to the ppa page https://launchpad.net/~team-xbmc/+archive/ppa it is prety easy to see which releases 12.3 is being built for, and oneiric is not one of them.

For a media box I HIGHLY recommend going with a LTS version like precise.

Also if you read the post above yours there is a quote which says "You'll have to upgrade to at least precise(12.04)"
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Just an FYI on my issue- I just started from scratch and re-installed via XBMCBuntu iso. I plan to just wait for the official Gotham release and hopefully upgrading isn't an issue at that time.
it isn't, if you run a supported ubuntu release and didn't bork something Wink
Seemed straight forward to me with a few simple commands. Must have borked something I guess.
(2013-12-30, 18:50)wsnipex Wrote: you don't have any of our ppas enabled.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

I always wondered why I was getting the notification my xbmc was one version behind even though I update and upgrade regularly.
this worked perfectly
Thanks!
(2013-12-31, 07:13)FishOil Wrote:
(2013-12-31, 05:47)doug piston Wrote:
(2013-12-31, 02:39)FishOil Wrote: Why are you upgrading the entire OS to get XBMC?

Doesn't really upgrade the whole OS like dist-upgrade. No reason not to update all your packages, I see no harm.

It does update the ENTIRE OS. Every single package that has an update will be updated. dist-upgrade is actually a bit smarter in the way it upgrades.

Wait till it breaks something you had working perfectly. It happens, and it used to happen frequently.

Its a bad idea and unnecessary.
All it takes is
Code:
sudo apt-get install xbmc

http://askubuntu.com/questions/194651/wh...st-upgrade says it best.
(2014-01-17, 11:09)uNiversal Wrote:
(2013-12-31, 07:13)FishOil Wrote:
(2013-12-31, 05:47)doug piston Wrote: Doesn't really upgrade the whole OS like dist-upgrade. No reason not to update all your packages, I see no harm.

It does update the ENTIRE OS. Every single package that has an update will be updated. dist-upgrade is actually a bit smarter in the way it upgrades.

Wait till it breaks something you had working perfectly. It happens, and it used to happen frequently.

Its a bad idea and unnecessary.
All it takes is
Code:
sudo apt-get install xbmc

http://askubuntu.com/questions/194651/wh...st-upgrade says it best.

Well, initially that was not the question. The issue is, people are insisting on posting instructions to upgrade XBMC by upgrading the entire OS.

Code:
apt-get install xbmc

Thats all that required after you enable the ppa.

Its unnecessary and when I pointed this out I was chastised by someone saying dont come crying here when the dependencies of XBMC are not met.
I then posted a quote DIRECTLY form the man page of apt which really does say it best.

Quote:install
install is followed by one or more packages desired for installation or upgrading. Each package is a package name, not a fully qualified filename (for instance, in a Debian system, apt-utils would be the argument provided, not apt-utils_0.9.9.1~ubuntu1_amd64.deb). All packages required by the package(s) specified for installation will also be retrieved and installed. The /etc/apt/sources.list file is used to locate the desired packages. If a hyphen is appended to the package name (with no intervening space), the identified package will be removed if it is installed. Similarly a plus sign can be used to designate a package to install. These latter features may be used to override decisions made by apt-get's conflict resolution system.
I didn't chastise you, I simply disagreed with you on how you believe "apt-get upgrade" is a bad idea. I also tried to bow out and not turn this into a nerd fight but clearly I under estimated your skills in adding bold and highlighted text.
(2014-01-18, 23:08)doug piston Wrote: I didn't chastise you, I simply disagreed with you on how you believe "apt-get upgrade" is a bad idea. I also tried to bow out and not turn this into a nerd fight but clearly I under estimated your skills in adding bold and highlighted text.

Uh........Was I talking about you? You might wanna reread the first page of this thread. I was specifically talking about wsnipex. I never addressed you with the quote about the apt man page.

Get your panties out of a bunch.Tongue

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Unable to upgrade XBMCBuntu to 12.30