Rowmote keyboard not working on XBMC 12.3 Jailbroken AppleTV
Memphiz, go comment somewhere where you make a contribution...

Not trying to be rude, but you clearly are. Your words are not productive. So, stop playing fun police and help and refocus the point of this forum.
Ok you are right - i go trolling somewhere else. Have fun with this bug then ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2014-01-06, 15:11)OhSizzle Wrote: Memphiz, go comment somewhere where you make a contribution...

Not trying to be rude, but you clearly are. Your words are not productive. So, stop playing fun police and help and refocus the point of this forum.

I registered an account specifically to address you: do you realize who Memphiz is? Look at his stats and account type. XBMC developer with over 9,000 posts. He is not trolling you, he is calling you out for basic etiquette - mind your caps lock.

Don't bite the hand that feeds you. Don't talk about not contributing to a person that helped provide this FREE software to you to begin with.
Guys i now have bought that stupid app. Its working fine for me. Can someone confirm that this issue is only present on 12.3 and not on current gotham nightlies? (i am using current gotham nightly and it should have the same code like 12.3 in that regard).

Please someone confirm if the problem exists on current nightlies or not.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
(2014-01-20, 00:38)Memphiz Wrote: Guys i now have bought that stupid app. Its working fine for me. Can someone confirm that this issue is only present on 12.3 and not on current gotham nightlies? (i am using current gotham nightly and it should have the same code like 12.3 in that regard).

Please someone confirm if the problem exists on current nightlies or not.

Since downgrading to 12.2 as listed in this thread, my Rowmote has been working again. It was not working on 12.3, which is how/why I found this thread. I have not tried upgrading to 12.3 again if there is a different build (12.3.x?) that is available through the Maintenance app on my Apple TV.

I should mention that while Rowmote does work on 12.2, it does not work as fluidly as it used to. This is only after re-jailbreaking both of my ATVs to be untethered on 5.3 with the most recent update to Seas0npass. Prior to that, one was on 5.2 (untethered) and one was on 5.3 (tethered). I thought both were running 12.2, but maybe they were both running 12.1.

Anyway, it used to work without any effort. Now, on 12.2, I have to tap or gesture for directional input before it will begin working. Basically, upon launching XBMC, it is as if it is not connected. I have to tap/swipe a few times for directional input before it establishes the connection.

The reason this specific aspect is an issue for me is because I primarily use Rowmote only for text input inside XBMC and use the hard remote for everything else (navigation). If I launch XBMC and navigate to my favorites and select a show and a captcha comes up, the keyboard on Rowmote will not work because I have not yet 'forcibly' initiated the connection by tapping or gesturing directional input. It used to be that I could immediately launch XBMC and as soon as text entry came up I could just open Rowmote and immediately input text. Now, I have to navigate out of the virtual keyboard in XBMC and do some directional input in Rowmote in order to establish the connection and make the keyboard usable.

And as far as the app being stupid, I will agree that the price of it is definitely stupid. The thing is it's soooooo handy for text entry on an ATV in XBMC. As cited above, it is my only use for Rowmote and is MUCH better than using the directional input to enter text via the soft keyboard in XBMC, which is tedious to say the least.

If it helps, this does not appear to be an issue with Rowmote or its connectivity to the Apple TV. Outside of XBMC, Rowmote is as responsive as it always has been. This issue (the need to re-establish the connection) only exists within XBMC.
Bt Keyboard FTW - but that is another Story ...
(2014-01-20, 01:07)Memphiz Wrote: Bt Keyboard FTW - but that is another Story ...

I agree. I got this app for the bedroom where I don't want a keyboard. Ever since my BT keyboard in the living room died, I have become completely dependent on this solution :X

Plus I always have my phone on me.

Edit: Oh yeah! ATV didn't have BT keyboard support before 5.2. I knew there was a legit reason for having this for so long.
Rowmote updated their app to resolve the issue. Rowmote helper also pushed an update to correct the issue, just update in NitoTV.
My app auto-updated on my phone and I installed the rowmote update through Maintenance app (atv flash) last week. Updated to 12.3 today to see if there was any difference. It works, but the issue I have cited previously still remains.

At this point I assume it is still something to do with the helper or the rowmote app that is causing the delayed connection between rowmote and the helper while in XBMC as described in my post.

OhSizzle, or anyone, can you confirm what I am referring to in my previous post? I am now on 12.3 with the latest helper installed and the latest version of Rowmote on my phone. To replicate what I have described, launch XBMC with hard remote. Use the hard remote for all navigation, not Rowmote. Go to IceFilms or anything where the source is 180uploads or any source requiring a Captcha code. Upon reaching the Captcha code, having navigated only using the hard remote, attempt to use Rowmote's keyboard to enter the Captcha. Does it work immediately, or no?
I can confirm it and i have no clue what to do about it in XBMC. I also don't get why this would work in 12.2 tbh. I have traced it and XBMC doesn't get any sign of keypress from the rowmote app before doing a swipe down/up. (basically this is using the same code a BT keyboard uses. XBMC doesn't know the difference between BT Keyboard and Rowmote APP. And it works like it should with a real BT keyboard - so somehow i still have the feeling this is on Rowmotes side - not XBMCs).
weinopolice -I replicated the issue as you advised in your previous post, both with my iPhone 5s and with my iPad mini. I am up to date with the most current iOS app versions (Remote Pro version), and with rowmote helper.

I did three tests using each device and never encountered your described problem. Every attempt allowed me to immediately start typing in the Captcha text box. Asking the obvious here, but have you tried deleting and reinstalling the app on your device? Are you using the Rowmote Pro version of the app? Its also worth mentioning, that I have several Apple TVs in the house so I have changed the name in ATV2's general settings to call the one I tested and use most frequently, my "Living Room Apple TV". Not sure that this will make a difference for you, but I did notice improvement in connectivity using RowMote after making this change when I added a second ATV2 in the house.

Running 12.3
(2014-01-29, 06:49)OhSizzle Wrote: weinopolice -I replicated the issue as you advised in your previous post, both with my iPhone 5s and with my iPad mini. I am up to date with the most current iOS app versions (Remote Pro version), and with rowmote helper.

I did three tests using each device and never encountered your described problem.
Running 12.3

As per what Memphiz cited in the post just before yours, XBMC does not seem to detect any keyboard input prior to swiping. This problem persists after a fresh jailbreak done today. Fresh jailbreak, fresh Rowmote helper installation, fresh XBMC installation, fresh Rowmote Pro installation on my 5s (yes, already had Pro version),TV named Bedroom Apple TV as that's where it is.

Oh well, not a huge deal, will just continue swiping. Thanks everybody.
On the ATV2, it has to do with the file joystick.AppleRemote.xml (or whatever file you might have) in private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata/keymaps. This file needs to either NOT be used or be updated to allow the keyboard commands to come through post the "happy keyboard versions of XBMC," like Gotham.

I did not yet dig into the file to correct it, but temporarily took it out of use, as now I can do most anything I need with Rowmote Pro. I will get to fixing it sooner or later, but my plate has just been too full with kids and other activities, outside of working 60 hours a week!

So, if someone else would like to have a stab at it, I would be most appreciative.

Anyhow, this is the ROOT of the issue; a good working on the file and I suspect that all functionality can be brought back. It's not a bug. It's our bug, to fix.

Ciao, all!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Rowmote keyboard not working on XBMC 12.3 Jailbroken AppleTV0