Timeline as default view instead of channels
After coming across a most excellent skin with PVR support, I found this post which claims to fix a feature I never cared for. I haven't tried it yet but thought I would share here because I know there are others here who have mentioned this. Also if you haven't tried this skin yet I highly recommend. Being a long time wmc7 user, this skin fits very well for me.

Let us know if this works for you and if it works on other skins
As many posts as I see about this, I don't understand why timeline isn't the default. It's what people are used to when switching over from a cable or sat stb. I know once I had the basics up and going, it was the first thing I started looking to see if I could change.

I have tried changing the focus from 32 to 31 on Nox and it works. It seems to be universal as it's telling the skin to open pvr window 31 (the timeline) instead of 32 (channel list) when live tv is selected from the main menu.

I haven't tried reordering but it does interest me so I may give it shot and see what happens.

If we confirm these tweaks are working on a variety of skins, I may add a general guide to the advanced section of the wiki.
The XBMC team, plug-in devs, skinners, etc. do this for us for FREE in their spare time because they want to. Think about that for a second before you start bitching...
I also did this for the Bello skin a couple of weeks ago. I think EPG Timeline is indeed window 31 in all skins, however I'm not totally sure if the file structures are always the same. I noticed in Bello that the author changed the name of the relevant file from "Includes_Home.xml" to "IncludesStaticContent.xml" between two minor versions of the skin.

Link for Bello:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=180324
So, just for shits and giggles I tried this in Amber as well (which is what I run on a Raspi). I think a quick a dirty way of accomplishing this mod on many skins in Linux would be something like this:

1. cd into the skin directory containing the xml files (for example, in Amber Openelec this is: ~/.xbmc/addons/skin.amber/1080i/)
2. locate the string that activates the PVR window with this command: grep -nH -e "ActivateWindowAndFocus(PVR" *
3. assuming only one match is returned, backup that file and then edit the original file and locate the line returned in step 2
4. edit the command in the line returned from step 2 to be this: <onclick>ActivateWindowAndFocus(PVR, 31,0, 10,0)</onclick>
5. save the file and refresh the skin

If more than one match is returned then you may need to edit more than one file. However I don't know for sure. Just make sure to back up any original files.

I honestly don't know if this would do the trick for all skins. It seems to work for Amber and Bello. Also, importantly, you may have to reimplement this each time the skin is updated to a new version.
Fixed thread title, had a brain fart. Is this something that can be put in advanced. xml or not. I've never used it so I don't know but I thought that's what it was for, making edits that stick across updates?
I went a little different and edited the submenu "TV Channels" to open the EPG. In confluence skin it's IncludesHomeMenuItems.xml line 258 change onclick>Setfocus(32)</onclick> to onclick>Setfocus(31)</onclick>

Funny thing is I just put a feature request in to make this selectable here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=181800 and then saw this thread
If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
In gotham, I am just happy that EPG now shows up in the confluence sub-menu. FWIW, my family would prefer the default Live-TV view be the 'recordings' list.
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc
(2013-12-31, 18:53)bandook Wrote: Fixed thread title, had a brain fart. Is this something that can be put in advanced. xml or not. I've never used it so I don't know but I thought that's what it was for, making edits that stick across updates?

I don't think you can accomplish this in advancedsettings. However, I believe "control-g" always brings up the EPG Timeline view. So you could map a remote control button to that. Not a real fix, but it could help a little. My remote control has a "guide" button and I have that mapped to EPG Timeline. I rarely access it from the main menu.

Edit: It's just now that I've noticed you already linked to my Bello thread in the first message. Sorry, I've been on vacation for a while and my brain is getting a little dull! Anyway, I hope my mod works for you! And I hope Dilligaf's request makes it into Gotham.
Note that I also did this for Aeon Nox in Frodo 12.3 by the following steps:

-Edit /addons/skin.aeon.nox/1080i/Includes_MainMenu.xml and replace the SECOND occurrence [line 1024] of ActivateWindowAndFocus(PVR, 32,0, 11,0) with ActivateWindowAndFocus(PVR, 31,0, 10,0)

-Add the following to /userdata/advancedsettings.xml to prevent the confirmation window from appearing when selecting a channel in the EPG timeline view (Note that this is NOT needed for Gotham as a GUI setting for this has been introduced):

<pvr>
<showepginfoonselect>false</showepginfoonselect>
</pvr>

That's it! Enjoy!
Awesome! Thanks for posting this.
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc
Update: Now using Gotham with Aeon Nox 4.1.9 (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=185290) and Live TV Mod (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=192197); Wanted to again set the "Live TV" option to open the EPG by default, and had to change line 1011 of /addons/skin.aeon.nox.gotham/1080i/Includes_MainMenu.xml from:

PHP Code:
<property name="Path" fallback="ActivateWindowAndFocus(PVR, 32,0, 11,0)">$INFO[Skin.String(LiveTVHomeItem.Path)]</property

To:

PHP Code:
<property name="Path" fallback="ActivateWindowAndFocus(PVR, 31,0, 10,0)">ActivateWindowAndFocus(PVR31,010,0)</property

And I also changed the Live TV Submenu option for 'TV Channels' to open the EPG as well by replacing line 716 from:

PHP Code:
ActivateWindowAndFocus(PVR32,011,0

To:

PHP Code:
ActivateWindowAndFocus(PVR31,010,0

Then I went to XBMC Settings -> Live TV -> EPG and changed the option for 'Default select action' to be 'Switch to channel' (to prevent the info window from popping up on channel selection and rather just play the channel).

....And life is good again with Gotham and Live TV! Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Timeline as default view instead of channels0