Initially no sound in emulators
Hi,

I am close to a perfect setup. I'm using XBMCbuntu and Rom Collection Browser to fire up various emulators. Everything is working great apart from getting no sound from the emulators after boot. However if I play a couple of movies for a few minutes then fire up the emulators sound works great. I'm using sound over HDMI from an NVidia gt210 to an AV Reciever. I have on board sound turned off in BIOS.

I would very much appreciate a nudge in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.
Have you checked "stream silence when inactive" (something like that) in the audio output settings? You should have it checked unless you experience issues with it, otherwise XBMC will keep the audio device active all the time and your emulators won't be able to output sound.
Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm not seeing that option in the XBMC Audio Ouput settings? Will I find it in XBMCbuntu somewhere?
that settings exists only in Xbmc Gotham, Frodo stable supports it via advancedsettings.xml
Thanks. Tried adding that setting to advancedsettings.xml and setting it to both 0 & 1. Still have no sound in emulators, until I've played some files.
Sorry, I forgot that option was Gotham only.

I don't see how playing a few files would suddenly make things work. Maybe someone else knows?
XBMCBuntu? You may need a script to pause and hide XBMC before loading the emulator. Then resume XBMC upon emulator close.
XBMCbuntu yeah. I've got launcher scripts for all the emulators which use 'killall -STOP xbmc.bin' before emulator and 'killall -CONT xbmc.bin' after the emulator closes.

Maybe need to insert 'sleep 2' after suspending xbmc and starting the emulator? Give it a couple of seconds to suspend completely before the emulator starts?
Are you using pulse audio? If so that could be the problem, instead use alsa.
Unfortunately I couldn't get this working on my setup using xbmcbuntu. Switch to windows 8 using xbmc launcher to replace the shell and now have a nice working setup.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Initially no sound in emulators0