Parental Controls
I have been using Windows Media Center for many years now. I am switching to XBMC because it is cross-platform and high degree of customization. I used XBMC many moons ago with my XBox. I am a little dissapointed on the lack of parental controls there are for XBMC. I have been using Media Browser in WMC. When it scrapes for movie content, it grabs the rating. Then you set a password to access higher ratings of movies or shows. When I opened Media Browser, it would show movies and TV shows with a rating of G/Y to PG/Y8. If I pressed the unlock button and put in my code, it would show anything else for 3 hours (my setup). I could lock it at any time before the 3 hour auto lock. It would also lock anything that had no rating.
I usually try to sit and watch the movies/shows with my kids. All of us parents know that is not always possible. I don't want to leave the room and come back to the TV and they are watching Saw 45 or Paranormal Activity.

Please add this feature it is much needed.
you can use profiles for this if you have your kids stuff in separate folders. So kids have their very own profile only having kids stuff in their library while you're using a PW protected profile with everything in it. That's how it's handled atm by those that require parental controls AFAIK.
It's not like this feature might not be wanted in general, it's just like no dev had the need for it and thus haven't worked on a better implementation (many things would have to be touched/changed). But if there are coders out there, feel free to open up a thread to discuss with team devs on how it should be implemented and then start your coding engines.
http://killdash9.github.io/xbmc-parental-controls/
(2014-01-10, 07:10)Shaolin Wrote: http://killdash9.github.io/xbmc-parental-controls/

That's only for plug ins.
(2014-01-02, 11:53)da-anda Wrote: you can use profiles for this if you have your kids stuff in separate folders. So kids have their very own profile only having kids stuff in their library while you're using a PW protected profile with everything in it. That's how it's handled atm by those that require parental controls AFAIK.
It's not like this feature might not be wanted in general, it's just like no dev had the need for it and thus haven't worked on a better implementation (many things would have to be touched/changed). But if there are coders out there, feel free to open up a thread to discuss with team devs on how it should be implemented and then start your coding engines.

Although you don't get a lot (as in A LOT) of request for a feature like this I still think there is a substantial amount of low end users that would benefit from a more user friendly way to control the content available for their kids and/or visitors. You may already know this, but most users of software just install it, use it and don't think they can influence how it should evolve and expand in future releases.

I support Robert in his thoughts and I like a feature where you can just enter a password or pin code and content for 12 to 15 year old kids show up and when entering your own pin everything shows up.

An upgrade of the parental control should be one of the main feature-upgrades of XBMC 14.
If there only where more parents in the dev team this would have been picked up already. But most of the devs are single nerds or nerds without children and so they don't see the motivation for going through the (not so small) development. Once they are parents they mostly stop beeing "fulltime" nerds which also prevents them from doing so major development.

Of course this should be one of the main feature-upgrades of XBMC 14. Same like for all other feature requests in this forum *sigh*
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I use tow different profiles and it works quite well. I've also mapped a button on my remote to logout.

JS
(2014-01-10, 07:10)Shaolin Wrote: http://killdash9.github.io/xbmc-parental-controls/

It seems that is that add-on that I'm looking for. But I can't install it under Gotham.
Is it possible to rewrite the plugin?
Scrip.video.Parental-Control-1.5.3 is inot compatible with Gotham 13x. Is there new fix? thnks
any chance for update of this plugin so it can work with Hellix?

rgds
Wink 
same problem with Kodi 14.0 (Helix), PLEASE FIX ! WE L0VE THIS TOOL
Hate to bring up the P-word but I just read that Plex have now introduced what sounds to be greatly enhanced multiuser usability for access controls and parental control

https://blog.plex.tv/2014/11/20/introducing-plex-home/

They call this concept "Plex Home" and its implement via a series of advanced security function that you can enable when you have multiple users in your home that should not all have the same permissions or access to age restricted media as classified by example the MPAA age rating classifications as scraped from IMDb.

This mean that you can for example set i so that your kids user accounts can access media classed as appropriate for a age rating of PG13 or ratings for younger audience only. :

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/article...-Plex-Home-
https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/203960236
https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/203948786

Quote:Introducing Plex Home

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/article...-Plex-Home-

Well, it’s been a little while since we brought you the previous Most Requested Plex Feature Ever (trailers and extras), and as it turns out in the intervening months a new contender has taken the crown.

“I don’t think my kid is ready for the old ultra-violence, how can I stop him from finding A Clockwork Orange!?” you asked. “My husband is allergic to Daleks!” you exclaimed. “Please, Plex, give me a place to stash my goat pr0n!” you bleated. Well, whatever your reason, we realize this feature is an absolute must-have for many of you.

And although it’s been over two years since the insanely popular feature request was initially posted on our forums (I’m looking at you MTII), I’m happy to announce that parental controls and more are available today in the form of an awesome feature we like to call Plex Home. And now we’d like to walk you though it.

Plex Home is, at its core, an acknowledgement that no man is an island, and no woman is a peninsula. After the Great Recession, all the Millennials moved back home with their Plex installs, and now spend their waking life watching Weeds and trying to keep their little brothers out of their Anime collections. So we set out to make Plex a better place for families with fine-grained access controls by moving all the server management inside the web app, and allowing you to easily specify the exact content ratings accessible by all your friends and family.

Now that alone that would be worthy of much rejoicing, but we really wanted to take this to the next level. We wanted to allow even finer-grained control over sharing, and we’ve added a flexible sharing mechanism via labels which allows you to share exactly what you want. For example, you can share individual photos with your parents, or just a few Arcade Fire albums with your hipster friend who will mock you for your Coldplay collection (no, trust us, he will).

Another really important part of being in a home with multiple family members is that creating accounts should be really easy, especially for the younger ones in your household, who may not even have an email address of their own yet. So we’ve added managed users, which are incredibly simple to create, and don’t require a unique username, email address, or password.

Now that you’ve created accounts for everyone from Sneezy to Drooly, we wanted to make it really easy to jump between accounts, so we added fast user switching. Note that you can also set PIN protection for any user too!

Another thing you’ve told us is that everyone in your home should be able to use the apps which come with a Plex Pass without further ado. It was frustrating to use a separate account for a family member, only to discover that they couldn’t use the Roku app without paying for it. So we’re working on fixing that: with a Plex Pass, everyone in your Plex Home will get access to the same apps you do. We’ve already submitted an update to the Roku app, and we’re in the process of updating others.

That’s not all. As of today, even if you don’t have a Plex Pass (and really, why wouldn’t you?), we’ve made Multiuser and Now Playing free for everyone. So now everyone you share with gets their own view history, and you can see what’s being streamed, in real time! Finer-grained sharing, multiuser Homes, and fast user switching are still limited to Plex Pass holders
I agree with the need for a more precise and well thought out form of parental control. The two options I have seen are not the answer. One is add-on based and the other has a weird PG13 hi limitHuh
I would like to make a point here... Developers please listen up. Parents that have children have the ability to donate to someone who helps them have a little less stress! Read that part again please...
We as parents love the idea of IPTV and especially if it can be used SAFELY! Yesterday I was amazed at a new set of IPTV channels that were launched and when I was looking them over there was a cartoon playing and below it were listed 6 adult channels... Really... Come on Jeez. That guy will never see a dime from me and because of his CARELESSNESS, I will never recommend him to anyone! I am not alone here with my point and I would love to see a multi-tiered parental control set up with a ceiling that can block out what I want whether it be PG13, R or xxx. For the content that would be hard for software to identify, a simple right click on a channel or add-on name and I could give it my own rating. I do use a profile with and without admin privileges but do not see profiles as an answer as it would be too tedious to create 6 different profiles for all family members.
Enough of my rant for today but to highlight a few things, 1. parents would donate to those who support them! 2. There is a definite need for this kind of parental control. 3. Developers please be more responsible as some day you don't want to regret bad decisions. PARENTS, we need to hear from you about this too. I have my visa in hand ready to donate to the developer who does this right! PLEASE give this some thought!
There are multiple threads from multiple different people all requesting some form of Parental Controls better than the current "makeshift" options such as locking sources and profiles.

It would seem there is no dev interested enough to listen to the masses and I don't know how there is any way to convince them.

Devs, it would be nice to hear, one way or another, if/when/how you plan to address these requests or if it's not now and never will be on the radar.
Try PinSentry, maybe it will do what you want.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...=PinSentry

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Parental Controls3