Few quick Win8/HP ProLiant MicroServer Media Server Qs?
Shocked 
Hi, I am considering a HP ProLiant MicroServer as it seems to fit my needs and win8 due to "storage spaces" ability to use drives of varying sizes and my want to run various other things (dropbox/btsync/bitorrent/etc).

As 95% of what I use my current storage setup for (just a drobo) is for storing media to play on my xbmc i thought I'd ask here. I've seen in some other fairly hard core fileserver forums where the ProLiant MicroServer seems to be portrayed as "not enough" but being a bit of a fileserver noob its unclear to me what exactly would overload a fileserver. At most my server would be running btsync in the background (until i can figure how to throttle it on a schedule), running backups at night, and then streaming media the rest of the time (mostly conservatively encoded 720p/1080p video, think 2hr movie 1080p x.264, 2GB; and music of course, mostly FLAC). Very rarely would there be more than one user, the other person in my household is fairly big on perusing photos (jpgs, nothing big) but thats it.

So with that said, is it worth getting more than 4GB mem, and is a SSD drive needed?

Lastly, I have five 3.5" 3tb drives so i figured i could fit those in ok (with the assistance of something like a ICY BOX IB-168SK-B HDD Mobile Rack?) and 2 spare 2.5" 500GB drives. As i get the impression that the ProLiant MicroServer doesn't have UEFI (I haven't been able to find anything definitive yet) hence preventing me from booting from the 3tb drives so i figured I'd kill two bird with one stone by using up these two 2.5" drives and make one of them bootable, though I'd need a way to plug those drives in Sad and I am not sure that a expansion/raid card would fit? Any suggestions (general or on specific cards/experiences) would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Few quick Win8/HP ProLiant MicroServer Media Server Qs?0