XBMCbuntu 1080p playback issues E350M1 platform
I recently had to re install Ubuntu and XBMC on my Asrock E350M1 platform (AMD Dual Core processor with AMD Radeon HD 6310 graphics), I used XBMCbuntu for the installation.

Previously running Frodo 12.2 with the Catalyst 13.1 GPU drivers I had no issues at all and playback was perfect however upon re installing my system I am getting very choppy playback with 1080p movies, its as if the system is not using hardware to decompress the video, I've tried XBMC 12.2, 12.3 as well as the latest nightly, I've also tried installing the latest catalyst drivers but nothing has made a difference.

I don't think it should make a difference but thought to mention it in case, I backed up my userdata folder on my previous install and restored this onto the new system.

Any ideas?
There is no video decoding support for AMD catalyst on linux. Use the OSS driver.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-01-06, 16:16)fritsch Wrote: There is no video decoding support for AMD catalyst on linux. Use the OSS driver.

Thanks fritsch, tried that on the current install, removed fglx and installed oss following instructions from this site https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OpenSound when I reboot I get the XBMC splash screen and then just get a blank screen so I tried re installing fresh without first installing catalyst driver and using a combination of the instructions from above site and Radeon OSS with vdpau howto (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=174854) and same result blank screen.

I wasn't able to get the Ubuntu Minimal installation working, it didn't detect the keyboard in the installation process for some weird reason, checked for obvious things like legacy support etc.... so used the XBMCbuntu install image I had (Ubuntu Quantal) and upgraded the kernel but as pointed out no luck.

I'm out of ideas ;(

What stumps be is it worked before with Frodo 12.2 and fglrx

if I run sudo dpkg-reconfigure linux-sound-base and change from OSS to back to ALSA then XBMC starts again and I dont get the blank screen??

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMCbuntu 1080p playback issues E350M1 platform0