Solved Remote Keyboard does not work when used with XBMC Gotham
Hi Folks,

Not sure this is the right place to post this. If not, Mods please feel free to Move.

Let me preface this by saying I know Gotham is still in the alpha stage so I completely understand this issue may not be fixed for quite some time. My intention is to bring visibility to it so it can potentially be addressed at a later date.

Issue: Unable to use the virtual keyboard function within the IOS remote app while attempting to fill in a text field running XBMC Gotham. To reproduce the issue, you can go into Settings>Services>General and try to edit the device Name field. I'm able to bring up the keyboard manually, however when I try to type nothing appears in the field. In previous versions of XBMC(12.3), the keyboard would pop up within the remote app and I could enter letters/numbers/etc using the remote keyboard. All other buttons(Direction, Back, Select) work as expected. I can reproduce this issue in other areas of XBMC as well.

IOS Version of the device running XBMC: 7.0.4
Jalibreak version of the device running XBMC: Evasi0n 1.0.1
XBMC Version: Gotham Nightly Build Compiled 1/6(http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/darwin...er-ios.deb)
XBMC Remote App Version: 1.4.1
IOS Version of the device running the XBMC Remote App: 7.0.4(No Jailbreak applied)

Anyone else have this issue?

If logs would help, I can post them sometime this evening.

Thanks
Am I the only one with this issue?

To add, it looks like the IOS Native keyboard on the XBMC device is activated preventing the use of the XBMC remote app keyboard.
Hi, it seems to be a specific problem with your setup, here everything is working as expected with gotham alpha 12 today's build.
The current remote app version is 1.4.1, try to update the remote app.
Hi, thanks for the response. sorry but I was on the 1.4.1 version of the remote App and have updated my original post to reflect this. I believe Ned was also able to reproduce the issue.

Another test case would be to add a file source within file Manager. In order to activate the field to input the path I need to use the select key, then the native IOS keyboard pops up on the XBMC device, when I try to type on the virtual keyboard on the remote it does not work.
Yeah, it's a specific issue to iOS iDevices (not the ATV2) that are running XBMC directly.
Thanks for the response Ned. Do I need to submit a bug report or is the forum post enough?
Hi Ned, do you know if this issue is on the radar to be fixed?
Same issue here running XBMC on iPad and using official app on iPhone to remote control it, every time text entry is required the keyboard pops up on the iPad and the remote control is rendered useless until I get my fat arse off the couch and dismiss the keyboard from the iPad.
(2014-01-08, 12:08)joethefox Wrote: Hi, it seems to be a specific problem with your setup, here everything is working as expected with gotham alpha 12 today's build.
The current remote app version is 1.4.1, try to update the remote app.

update the remote app? through App Store ? or does it also have nightlies?

i also experience such problem with Gotham nightlies, official xbmc remote app from AppStore
Again, it has nothing to do with the iOS Remote app. It is an issue with XBMC itself running on iOS iDevices (everything but the ATV2).
Ned, should this thread be moved to the IOS support forum?
Fix is in the Works

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/4142
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Thanks Memphiz
Hi Memphiz,

I have been tracking the fix on github and noticed a pull request submitted and executed. I have recently installed and tried both of the following nightlies but still have issues with the remote keyboard:

http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/darwin...er-ios.deb
http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/darwin...er-ios.deb

When I try to enter text into a search or filter field the native keyboard still pops up. The good news is I'm able to add text to it from the remote app which I've never been able to do before. However, I'm not able to click enter or select to finalize the query. It just sits there until it eventually times out in error. Let me know if you need any more details and/or logs for reference.

I've also noticed that the remote keyboard experience is quite different in Gotham vs Frodo. For example, in Frodo when you select a search function a virtual keyboard pops up on the screen and automatically engages the remote app keyboard so you can begin typing. Are there any plans to bring this experience back to Gotham?

Thanks for your help.
Is anyone else still having the same issue I'm having even after the fix?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Remote Keyboard does not work when used with XBMC Gotham1