GUIDE: Complete Setup Guide for TVHeadEnd, HDHomeRun, and N.A. Program Listings

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
rlust Offline
Having the same issue here that TVHeadend 3.9 and cannot see my adapter in configure TV adapters. It shows up when I run the HD utils. Any ideas would be helpful!!

Thanks
find quote
Shermer321 Offline
Now that the updates for the HDHomeRun have been merged, any possibility of updating this for us not using the HDHomeRun prime? I know a little about linux but not enough to make a tutorial. Would greatly appreciate it!
find quote
CaptainHarlock Offline
I have followed this guide to setup TVHeadEnd on my HTPC and it is working pretty well so far.

Unfortunately, I experienced just a little annoying issue with the EPG grabber since the beginnning. Each time the EPG is grabbed, this process is taking all the CPU ressources of the HTPC during a few minutes until the job is done. This cause some serious video and audio lag if it happen that I'm watching something at the same time. I have tried to schedule the job to run in the middle of the night in starting it manually around 3AM the first time and setting to daily upgrade once a day in configuration > Channel/EPG > EPG Grabber > Grab Interval.

It worked for a few days until I needed to restart the HTPC during the day. Each time the TVheadEnd daemon is restarted, it seems to also reset the time of the Grab Interval.

Am I the only one that is dealing with this issue? Is there a way to set a fixed time to grab the EPG or to limit the amount of CPU ressources this process is using?
(This post was last modified: 2015-01-26 23:11 by CaptainHarlock.)
find quote
xbmclinuxuser Offline
(2015-01-26 23:00)CaptainHarlock Wrote:  I have followed this guide to setup TVHeadEnd on my HTPC and it is working pretty well so far.

Unfortunately, I experienced just a little annoying issue with the EPG grabber since the beginnning. Each time the EPG is grabbed, this process is taking all the CPU ressources of the HTPC during a few minutes until the job is done. This cause some serious video and audio lag if it happen that I'm watching something at the same time. I have tried to schedule the job to run in the middle of the night in starting it manually around 3AM the first time and setting to daily upgrade once a day in configuration > Channel/EPG > EPG Grabber > Grab Interval.

You must have kind of a low powered computer for that to happen but anyway, if you are running the latest unstable version of TVHeadEnd, you should be able to schedule your grab times at any time you want. It now uses a cron job type syntax so if you wanted it to run at 3 AM you would just use 0 3 * * * in the "Cron multi-line" text box. Older versions had a different way of specifying the grab interval so you may want to consider updating. I know some people prefer to stick with stable versions, and I would probably do the same if they were released more frequently, but the current stable version of TVHeadEnd is getting really old, and they have made a lot of improvements since then.

(2015-01-26 23:00)CaptainHarlock Wrote:  It worked for a few days until I needed to restart the HTPC during the day. Each time the TVheadEnd daemon is restarted, it seems to also reset the time of the Grab Interval.

Am I the only one that is dealing with this issue? Is there a way to set a fixed time to grab the EPG or to limit the amount of CPU ressources this process is using?

If you really don't want to upgrade for some reason, read up on the nice command - use it at the start of the line of whatever program(s) are chewing up your system resources. For example, you could use nice -n 20 followed by the command you want to run (if using it in a shell script, use the full path to nice, such as /usr/bin/nice). This will make it the lowest priority possible, which means that it can still use as much CPU as it wants if nothing else is using the CPU, but it will give preference to ANY other process that may be running with a lower "nice" value (the default is 0, possible values are -20 to -20 - if you give it a negative value that means it's "not nice" and will try to hog CPU time).

I am NOT a coder, in fact I am not very comfortable in Linux outside of a GUI. I am just a user of Linux and XBMC, as my user name implies.
find quote
BombJack Offline
(2015-01-19 00:33)Shermer321 Wrote:  Now that the updates for the HDHomeRun have been merged, any possibility of updating this for us not using the HDHomeRun prime? I know a little about linux but not enough to make a tutorial. Would greatly appreciate it!

I have refreshed my installation (ubuntu 14.04 server) with a new version of tvheadend, mostly to play around with transcoding. Here are the steps I took to make it work.

Code:
# as root
# go to your building area and install missing libraries
cd /usr/src/
apt-get install build-essential git pkg-config libssl-dev bzip2 wget
apt-get install libavahi-client-dev zlib1g-dev libavcodec-dev
apt-get install libavutil-dev libavformat-dev libswscale-dev
apt-get install libcurl4-gnutls-dev liburiparser-dev
# get a snapshot of tvheadend
git clone https://github.com/tvheadend/tvheadend.git
# build it with hdhomerun support
cd tvheadend/
AUTOBUILD_CONFIGURE_EXTRA=" --enable-hdhomerun_client --enable-hdhomerun_static --enable-libffmpeg_static --disable-dvbscan" ./Autobuild.sh -t precise-amd64
# stop running dvdhomerun-utils and old tvheadend
service dvbhdhomerun-utils stop
service tvheadend stop
# make sure dvbhdhomerun-utils dont start automatic any more
update-rc.d dvbhdhomerun-utils disable
echo manual >  /etc/init/dvbhdhomerun-utils.override
# uninstall old tvheadend and replace it with the newly build version
apt-get remove tvheadend
cd ..
dpkg -i tvheadend_3.9.2352~g0a7ce2c~precise_amd64.deb
# have fun
reboot
find quote
akon Offline
(2014-01-07 07:20)advocate99 Wrote:  Visit web-site (mc2xml.hosterbox.net) and locate download link for Linux

cd /home/hts
sudo mkdir mc2xml
sudo cd mc2xml
sudo wget http:(Download Link obtained above)
sudo mv index* mc2xml
sudo chmod +x mc2xml
sudo ./mc2xml -c us -g 90024
I can't get the last step of running mc2xml. I've tried downloading both mirrors and each time I "sudo ./mc2xml -c us - g zipcode" it gives the error:

./mc2xml: 1: ./mc2xml: Syntax error: "(" unexpected

anyone help?
find quote
doublea Offline
Akon - don't download as index or run that mv command, just use wget with the output option, like this:

sudo wget http://zap2xml.hol.es/?h=odgan1m -O mc2xml

Then chmod, and you should be good to go.

(2015-02-24 23:52)akon Wrote:  
(2014-01-07 07:20)advocate99 Wrote:  Visit web-site (mc2xml.hosterbox.net) and locate download link for Linux

cd /home/hts
sudo mkdir mc2xml
sudo cd mc2xml
sudo wget http:(Download Link obtained above)
sudo mv index* mc2xml
sudo chmod +x mc2xml
sudo ./mc2xml -c us -g 90024
I can't get the last step of running mc2xml. I've tried downloading both mirrors and each time I "sudo ./mc2xml -c us - g zipcode" it gives the error:

./mc2xml: 1: ./mc2xml: Syntax error: "(" unexpected

anyone help?
find quote