GUIDE: Complete Setup Guide for TVHeadEnd, HDHomeRun, and N.A. Program Listings
Yea, the built-in HDHR support can't tune the "virtual" channels used by the primes for encrypted channels. However, the IPTV workaround does work quite well. This used to mean manually creating a mux for each channel and for each prime box you have (using a separate "network" for each box).

Things recently got quite a bit easier to manage with a new feature in TVH - automatic IPTV networks based off M3U files. By recent I think about a month or two ago. You have to be running a build from git master.

The process looks something like this:

In web admin page of the prime box, go to channel listing, then click to detect channels.
In Kodi, add a source for your prime box - browse to DLNA on the box and add the source.
Create a Kodi playlist with all of the channels, then save the playlist as m3u file.
Repeat above for other prime boxes if you have more than one.
You can then remove the DLNA sources, you don't need them in Kodi, it's just a simple way of generating the M3U

You can host the m3u on a webserver if you want, but no need to, it can just live in the local filesystem.

In TVH, create a new network (one network for each prime box) - type: IPTV Automatic Network.
In URL - use "file:///path/to/file"
In Max # of Streams for the network - set the number to the number of tuners on the box (for Primes, should be 3).
Save the network - it'll read the m3u file and create muxes for each of the defined entries in the m3u file - it'll then run through a normal scan to find the services on the muxes. Then you have to manually link the services to channels & EPG grabber channels.
If you have multiple boxes, create additional networks as above for each of the m3u files you created.

It'll limit the number of streams on the network nicely so it will only use the max number of tuners in the box, and if you have multiple boxes will utilize tuners from the next box when all tuners on the first are in use. If you want, you can control this through the priority setting on the networks.

Now it's just a matter of managing channels through simple text file edits in the m3u files - you can use find/replace to make mass changes. TVH will periodically re-read the files to look for changes. If however you do make a change to an existing mux, the current behavior in TVH is the blow away the mux and re-create it, which means it'll also delete the service so you'll have to re-link it to a channel when it's recreated by the scan.

I don't have any direct experience with the tuning adapters since luckily my local cable system doesn't use them. However the HDHR prime directly supports them via USB port on the box itself. It's supposed to automatically handle the tuning adapter command when you ask the HDHR for a particular channel. That shouldn't be a problem.
Yes, the tuning adapters are handled automatically, however their necessity, along with the Prime using virtual channels, made the mux/service aspect of Tvheadend unusable. I was unaware the current master included m3u support. (If the timeshift issues get resolved, I may switch when Jarvis arrives.)

For the Copy-Once/DRM channels: no, they cannot be tuned. You would need a WMC backend to record the channels. To view them, you can use SiliconDust's add-on.
The timeshifting issues are certainly a major downer. It does look like there's quite a bit of work being done to fix that though, so hopefully that'll be way better real soon.
So with M3U's, I would assume I again, can only get the Copy Freely channels? Looks like that might be the way to go.

What channels have the copy once flag?
Yes, only Copy Freely will be available. For me, the Copy Once channels I cannot access aren't significant to me: KVCR (a local PBS station), BYU TV (from BYU), AXS (a sports/music events channel), Sundance, Teen Nick (Nickelodeon), Reelz & Flix (independent/movies) and CCTV9 (news).

To receive all of the channels, you do need a tuning adapter though. Also, the technicians who do the cable install will most likely be clueless, so make sure you do some research first; if they install a CableCard in anything other than a TiVo, they're lost. Also, before you order, call to verify their CableCard flag policy to ensure that all channels are Copy Freely in your area: it may differ by franchise/region.

Charter will give you a 30-day money back period if you cancel in the first month, so you have a little leeway in getting your system up and running properly. Also, make sure all of the machines you are going to use to watch TV can decode MPEG2@1080p, because not all can.
Just went to MicroCenter and got myself the HDHomeRun Prime and the CableCard installation 'with fee!' Angry is coming on the 7th (including tuning adapter). When he is on site I will install and just make sure the HDHomeRun software works then venture to the TVHeadEnd after using the M3U method.

30 day guarantee like you said, and support has no clue what copy once or cable card flags are. So figured I can give it a shot. $15 more than just internet...

I have TVHeadend 4.1 now but I will do a fresh install tonight to prepare. My only fear at this point is if two weeks down the road Charter puts copy once flags on all their content and my setup is worthless. If only the HDHomeRun app on Kodi supported the DRM...
(2016-01-05, 00:28)Shermer321 Wrote: Just went to MicroCenter and got myself the HDHomeRun Prime and the CableCard installation 'with fee!' Angry is coming on the 7th (including tuning adapter). When he is on site I will install and just make sure the HDHomeRun software works then venture to the TVHeadEnd after using the M3U method.

30 day guarantee like you said, and support has no clue what copy once or cable card flags are. So figured I can give it a shot. $15 more than just internet...

I have TVHeadend 4.1 now but I will do a fresh install tonight to prepare. My only fear at this point is if two weeks down the road Charter puts copy once flags on all their content and my setup is worthless. If only the HDHomeRun app on Kodi supported the DRM...

The HDHomeRun app on Kodi cannot support DRM, because of the certification for CableCard and a fully encrypted pathway from the receiver to the display device being required. That is why only STBs and large corporate-backed options—Microsoft, Hauppauge, &c.—are available, because of the money required to go through the certification process.

As far as details for the cable install, I've sent you a PM with some additional information.
Thanks a lot for the help. I don't see any PMs yet, don't know if you were still throwing something together.

Edit: NVM Got it
Thanks to your guy's help, got it installed and scanning channels and watching TV like a champ. I installed the latest build of TVHeadEnd on git and got the m3u loaded but when scanning for services they all fail? Any idea why?

The URL for the channels is weird...

http://192.168.0.6/TV/Channels/upnp://D4...els%2fv13/

The http address was the location of the Charter.m3u playlist that was loaded.
I can't remember off the top of my head, but there's a couple different ways to connect to the HDHR via the "Add Source" in Kodi, and a couple different lists available to choose from once you connect to the HDHR. I'd have to do it again to remember which one (and I'm not where I can do it right this second) - but when you save the playlist (create the m3u file) you're looking for whatever gives you entries like this:

Code:
#EXTINF:874,874 MTV HD
http://192.168.6:5004/auto/v874/

When you use the m3u in the auto network in TVH, that URL is exactly what will show up in the mux that is automatically created.
(2015-09-29, 02:22)xbmclinuxuser Wrote: About a week ago I tried installing TVHeadend on a repurposed system running Ubuntu Server 14.04 LTS and all I had to do after installing Ubuntu Server was use apt-get to install the HDHomeRun drivers (actually I probably didn't have to do this, it turns out that TVHeadEnd can now detect the HDhomeRun tuners even if you don't install the HDHomeRun drivers, but I didn't know that at the time):

sudo apt-get install hdhomerun-config hdhomerun-config-gui

And then I installed TVHeadend using the instructions on their site (I went with the "unstable" version because I have read it's really not that unstable and it contains more recent bug fixes). It found my HDHomeRun tuners and I was able to set everything up with no issues. It helped that I have a bit of experience setting up TVHeadend since I've done it a few times before, but still it was surprisingly easy to get it set up and running, and I did not have to install anything other than the HDHomeRun drivers and TVHeadend itself to get it working (although the HDHomeRun drivers came with a boatload of dependencies, and I just let it install all those).

Again, this was using Ubuntu Server 14.04 LTS; if you are using another version of Ubuntu or another distro then YMMV. Also I was able to install and use zap2xml to get guide data, and that works with no problem once it's set up.

The really amazing thing is that by more or less following the instructions posted by "Johnnygo" in this thread (with some changes, see below) I am able to access two TVHeadEnd backend servers, and as long as I am careful not to let the channel numbers in the two TVHeadends overlap, everything works great in Kodi Isengard (except for the forward/backward skip bug that's supposed to be fixed in the upcoming release) and I see all the channels from both backends. All the channels from both backends appear in the Kodi EPG and I can watch recordings on either backend. I'm amazed it actually works as well as it does!

EDIT: Actually, since the instructions "Johnnygo" posted were for use with an older version of OpenElec, I had to modify them a bit. I used the added string "hdhr" to identify the copied PVR addon because I used it with HDHomerun devices, but you could use some other unique string as long as you use it in all places where "hdhr" appears. I also used mc (Midnight Commander) to copy files and directories, but you can use "cp -r ..." if you prefer, as shown in his original instructions. Here's how I did it in Kodi running under Ubuntu:

Copied /usr/share/kodi/addons/pvr.hts directory and contents to /usr/share/kodi/addons/pvr.htshdhr
Used nano to edit /usr/share/kodi/addons/pvr.htshdhr/addon.xml changed the id and name strings
Copied ~/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/pvr.hts directory and contents to ~/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/pvr.htshdhr
Used nano to edit ~/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/pvr.htshdhr/settings.xml and changed the ip address, etc. (I could have also done this from the addon's configuration menu in Kodi).

I also found out that if doing this in XBMC Gotham, besides using xbmc in the paths instead of kodi, there's one additional directory that has to be copied (/usr/lib/xbmc/addons/pvr.hts to /usr/lib/xbmc/addons/pvr.htshdhr) - this was NOT necessary in Kodi Isengard.

Which HDHomeRun device do you have? I have the older HDHomeRun Dual. It worked flawlessly in my previous Windows setup with MediaPortal. I'm migrating to Ubuntu Server 14.04 LTS with TVHeadEnd and TVHeadEnd isn't detecting my HDHomeRun. I installed the hdhomerun-config (but not hdhomerun-config-gui) and it discovers my HDHomeRun just fine. I installed the current release version of TVHeadEnd (version 4.0.8) following their instructions. When I go into TVHeadEnd, it doesn't show anything in the list of TV Adapters.

I'm at a loss since others report that it "just works" with the latest TVHeadEnd builds. My best guess is support for older HDHomeRun's is not quite as there. Any ideas?
(2016-01-14, 20:23)RealDealNeil Wrote: Which HDHomeRun device do you have? I have the older HDHomeRun Dual. It worked flawlessly in my previous Windows setup with MediaPortal. I'm migrating to Ubuntu Server 14.04 LTS with TVHeadEnd and TVHeadEnd isn't detecting my HDHomeRun. I installed the hdhomerun-config (but not hdhomerun-config-gui) and it discovers my HDHomeRun just fine. I installed the current release version of TVHeadEnd (version 4.0.8) following their instructions. When I go into TVHeadEnd, it doesn't show anything in the list of TV Adapters.

I'm at a loss since others report that it "just works" with the latest TVHeadEnd builds. My best guess is support for older HDHomeRun's is not quite as there. Any ideas?

Turns out it's an issue in TvHeadEnd 4.0.8. Reverting to 4.0.7 allowed HDHomeRun to just work like others said.
wrong post
Just wanted to add a note here.

I'm currently using tvheadend-unstable build (in a unraid docker) and it now supports (is testing) EPG data over the air. I just installed the docker, ran through the wizard (did you know tvheadend had a wizard? ya me neither) and had all my channels working (mapped with station names and numbers, 9.1/20.1/20.2/etc) with live EPG data in like 10 mins.

Tvheadend unstable 4.1-1555 (via unraid docker)
HDHomerun dual (the old one, not the connect version)
Kodi 15.2 using the tvheadend pvr backend

I get channels mapped properly (with 2.1/2.2/etc). I get current EPG data (with details) and the guide also shows future data. I've honestly only tested it for 5 mins (via kodi on my laptop, and i'm at work, so its actually over a vpn), but it all looks good. My kodi front ends are pis (a mix of 1's/2's) so i'll be able to test it on the device I want it working on later today/tomorrow.

Can't vouch for actually recording/timeshifting (we have a tivo, and a sickrage setup, so i don't really need it for that), but at least it labels the stations numbers correctly, and has working guide data.

Now if I keep using it, i'll need to add pretty logos for the various stations.
hello,

I run the same docker on a synology.

But my thheadend don't see my hdhomerun CONNECT.

00b5, can you post your port configuration for the docker ?

Thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
GUIDE: Complete Setup Guide for TVHeadEnd, HDHomeRun, and N.A. Program Listings2