del
Information 
any chance of kodi capabilities besides a htpc
It's pretty much going to be the same. Hardware video decoding for HD content is dirt cheap, so there's little difference if you can find something that only has SD playback abilities (it's hard to find anything that won't play HD in the first place).
Quote: i still use a tube tv

Why? You also need to be more specific about 'cheap'.

You could pick up a free PC and make it work with XBMC. However it would cost more to run than something like a Raspberry Pi or Cubox-i1 ($50) which use about 3 Watts rather than 200 Watts for an old but basic PC.

At 25cents per kWh, and say 20 hours per week viewing time = $1 per week running cost vs. 1.5 cents.
Over 52 weeks you save $50, which could have gone toward a brand-new secondhand TV.

You can get a secondhand 32" LCD/LED screen for peanuts. The Standard Def sets are very cheap because nobody wants them.
^That's some expensive electricity you guys have down there. I hope its the good stuff!
(2014-01-07, 11:34)joelbaby Wrote:
Quote:i still use a tube tv

Why? You also need to be more specific about 'cheap'.

You could pick up a free PC and make it work with XBMC. However it would cost more to run than something like a Raspberry Pi or Cubox-i1 ($50) which use about 3 Watts rather than 200 Watts for an old but basic PC.

At 25cents per kWh, and say 20 hours per week viewing time = $1 per week running cost vs. 1.5 cents.
Over 52 weeks you save $50, which could have gone toward a brand-new secondhand TV.

You can get a secondhand 32" LCD/LED screen for peanuts. The Standard Def sets are very cheap because nobody wants them. 
del
The old xbox or a rasp pi. But dont be so cheap. Spend a few quid and get something that supports hd because you're not going to have that antique telly all your life and when you do, you'll regret not spending a little more and going for something a little more up to date.

And as for the 32" for "peanuts". I totally agree a 32" lcd telly costs next to nothing nowadays, even cheaper if you go check on craigslist/gumtree/ebay. If you can make it last as long as you've had your antique then the cost per year will be next to nothing.
I am amazed by this! The thought of building an HTPC/XBMC and then running it on an old analog tube TV makes me cringe! That said, the Raspi does have analog video out but it's composite which is pretty terrible. I'm assuming your TV has component video (but probably not HDMI)?

How big is your tube TV?
(2014-01-07, 11:34)joelbaby Wrote: 32" tvs for "peanuts"

Gumtree. Craigslist. Particularly ones that need a separate set-top box for digital signal.
(2014-01-07, 17:03)skweezer Wrote: The old xbox or a rasp pi.

And as for the 32" for "peanuts". I totally agree a 32" lcd telly costs next to nothing nowadays, even cheaper if you go check on craigslist/gumtree/ebay.
cost effective compared to getting another janky option
(2014-01-07, 17:37)awp0 Wrote: the Raspi does have analog video out but it's composite which is pretty terrible. I'm assuming your TV has component video (but probably not HDMI)?

How big is your tube TV?
(2014-01-07, 17:38)joelbaby Wrote: del

Gumtree. Craigslist. Particularly ones that need a separate set-top box for digital signal.

id have to measure
(2014-01-08, 00:38)shatheone Wrote: yeah, i would only want an htpc for some sites that i like to stream from, and actually no component lol think i have a 32" tv

Man that must weigh a ton.
I would go apple tv 1. It has both component and composite. (one of the component connections is used for composite). It can run more up to date stuff than the original xbox. And it still has a hdd. The Raspberry PI is a great option to. I think it even got voted somewhere as the best sd media center for old tv's. Mainly just because its cheap. The audio cable would be like 7 dollars.
(2014-01-07, 17:37)awp0 Wrote: I am amazed by this! The thought of building an HTPC/XBMC and then running it on an old analog tube TV makes me cringe! That said, the Raspi does have analog video out but it's composite which is pretty terrible. I'm assuming your TV has component video (but probably not HDMI)?

How big is your tube TV?

You are aware XBMC predates the HD TV.... Original xbox was the first platform... (and yes the xbox does support HD output)
Another vote for the original Xbox if cost is the biggest concern. I've seen complete systems with games, multiple controllers, and DVD playback kit sell for around $30-$40 in my area on Craigslist. It's still quite good for playing back SD content and you can also run Xbox homebrew on it, like emulators.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
del1