UPnP streaming of avi files from xbmc
Apologies if this is seen as a double post but I didn't get any responses to a similar post yesterday.

In summary I have a ATV2 with xbmc (gotham alpha) running great. I have a nexus tablet running a xbmc remote app that supports UPnP streaming from the xbmc on my ATV to the tablet.

The UPnP streaming is working really well for mp4 files but it is really struggling with avi files.

My initial thoughts on this is that it is a limitation of the CPU / GPU on the ATV as I assumed it has to encode the avi to mp4 and then stream it. However, I have been in contact with the dev for the xbmc remote app and he said that UPnP just passes the URL of the avi to the video player on the client.

Can any of the xbmc devs confirm this please? As I said earlier, mp4 files stream fine. avi files do stream but at about 1fps! Audio is also choppy so the issue does seem like a performance limitation.

Should I try a more recent Gotham nightly. I think I am running a version abut one month old.

Other info is that ATV is wired to my NAS where media is stored. WiFi is the last generation apple time capsule and I have no interference and tablet connects at 150mbps with a strong signal.

Many thanks.
Correct, XBMC's UPnP server doesn't transcode. It will either send a URL of a network share or it will share the file from the XBMC instance, but in both cases it will remain in the same file format that it came in.
Thanks Ned. Appreciate that you always answer my questions!

This is a good thing then as I thought the issue was the lack of grunt/power of my ATV.

So this looks like it must be an issue with:

1. Yatse - android app that in use to stream - this is an amazing xbmc remote app by the way
2. Mx player - android media player app - considered one of the best players - have tested the avi files played from local storage fine
3. xbmc - bug in the way xbmc handles streaming avi files

Any other options or things I should look into (assuming that my setup wifi etc are all fine)?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
UPnP streaming of avi files from xbmc0