Mac OS X - XBMC 12.3 barely plays video after long idle

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
adro21 Offline
I'm on a 2012 Mac Mini (Mavericks) with XBMC 12.3. The mini is always running with XBMC open and after it's been idling for several hours and I then try to play a video, it's incredibly choppy. Choppy isn't even the right word, it plays videos at like 1 frame a sec...so not even watchable. I'm not sure what is causing this...the rest of the machine is running normally. The only way to get XBMC to play videos properly again after a long idle is to restart the app.

Any ideas how I can stop this from happening?

Thanks.
find quote
Memphiz Offline
Non-Serving Developer
debug log (wiki)

AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
find quote
adro21 Offline
Here's the log file: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=108129

(...but, should I have waited until the video playback problem happens again to generate the log?)
find quote
Memphiz Offline
Non-Serving Developer
Yes i need the log when the problem appears of course.

AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
find quote
adro21 Offline
Ok I will keep debug on and running until it happens again then get you the log. Thanks.
find quote
adro21 Offline
I was able to recreate the issue after having XBMC idle for about 15-20 hours or so. Here is the log I just uploaded: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=108826
I realize Step 3 of the log file instructions says to restart XBMC, but if I did that, the problem would not persist. So I was not able to restart before uploading this log file Sad
find quote
Memphiz Offline
Non-Serving Developer
There happens something with the audio device after that time. Do you know if this also happens with current nightly version or maybe is only an issue on frodo?

find quote
adro21 Offline
It's interesting you mentioned the audio device. Because if I select 5.1 and HDMI, movies will barely play, just like after idling. In order to get that to work, I need to set the output to Analog and 2.0 (instead of 5.1...even though I have 5.1 support)

Haven't tried the nightly...where would I get that?
(This post was last modified: 2014-01-12 19:27 by adro21.)
find quote
starhubble Offline
(2014-01-12 00:01)Memphiz Wrote:  There happens something with the audio device after that time. Do you know if this also happens with current nightly version or maybe is only an issue on frodo?

As I posted in another thread, the latest nightly build cures this problem.
find quote
wgstarks Offline
Posting Freak
(2014-01-12 19:25)adro21 Wrote:  It's interesting you mentioned the audio device. Because if I select 5.1 and HDMI, movies will barely play, just like after idling. In order to get that to work, I need to set the output to Analog and 2.0 (instead of 5.1...even though I have 5.1 support)

Haven't tried the nightly...where would I get that?

http://xbmc.org/download/
See the nightly builds section near the bottom of the page.

MacMini 5,2 HTPC (Jarvis 16.0/Aeon Madnox/MacOSX 10.10.5)/Onkyo TXNR609/Panny65VT30
find quote
Memphiz Offline
Non-Serving Developer
@adro21 5.1 is the wrong setting. Set it to 2.0 and enable the passthrough options . and disable lpcm. 5.1 is only needed in special cases (and is not working very well on osx).

find quote
adro21 Offline
thanks...I've never used the nightly builds before. Assuming it fixes this particular issue, are the nightly builds stable enough for everyday use?
find quote
Ned Scott Offline
Wiki Guy
more or less

Full disclosure: I work for WeTek. However, this is my personal account, and my words and opinion are my own.

You can make easy links to the Kodi Wiki Manual using double brackets around common Kodi words: [[debug log]] = debug log (wiki), [[Video library]] = Video library (wiki), [[SMB]] = SMB (wiki) , [[userdata]] = userdata (wiki), etc
find quote
adro21 Offline
(2014-01-13 00:07)Memphiz Wrote:  @adro21 5.1 is the wrong setting. Set it to 2.0 and enable the passthrough options . and disable lpcm. 5.1 is only needed in special cases (and is not working very well on osx).

Thanks for the tip. Should I change from Analog to HDMI as well?
find quote
Memphiz Offline
Non-Serving Developer
If you have an hdmi connection - yes.

find quote