Release - Sonos Addon

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Tyler Durden Offline
Fan
What are the chances of making an app which makes a sonos controller (the android/iOS app for example) think that an an xbmc install is a sonos speaker?
find quote
rob_webset Offline
Posting Freak
(2014-03-23 23:12)Tyler Durden Wrote:  What are the chances of making an app which makes a sonos controller (the android/iOS app for example) think that an an xbmc install is a sonos speaker?

Is there really any point? - Why not use the XBMC controller app to control XBMC?

Addons: VideoExtras, TvTunes, Sonos & ***NEW *** VideoScreensaver ***NEW ***
find quote
jon12345 Offline
(2014-03-23 23:29)rob_webset Wrote:  
(2014-03-23 23:12)Tyler Durden Wrote:  What are the chances of making an app which makes a sonos controller (the android/iOS app for example) think that an an xbmc install is a sonos speaker?

Is there really any point? - Why not use the XBMC controller app to control XBMC?

Yes, I've been wanting this too. Some reasons I can think of:
- easier (less taps/clicks) to play or queue music
- can stream from Pandora, Spotify, Google Play, local shares, etc. XBMC can probably do most of this but controlling it from a phone/tablet is much clunkier.
- if you already have sonos, each XBMC instance becomes another zone

I'd be happy to be proven wrong though.
find quote
san7a Offline
Plugin threw an error for me, using Frodo release and 1.0.4:

Code:
21:46:51 T:6748   DEBUG: XBPyThread::Process - Entering source directory C:\Users\Jason\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\script.sonos
21:46:51 T:6748   ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
                                             - NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
                                            Error Type: <type 'exceptions.NameError'>
                                            Error Contents: global name 'SonosDiscovery' is not defined
                                            Traceback (most recent call last):
                                              File "C:\Users\Jason\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\script.sonos/discovery.py", line 38, in <module>
                                                sonos_devices = Settings.getSonosDiscovery()
                                              File "C:\Users\Jason\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\script.sonos\resources\lib\settings.p​y", line 43, in getSonosDiscovery
                                                return SonosDiscovery()
                                            NameError: global name 'SonosDiscovery' is not defined
                                            -->End of Python script error report<--
find quote
rob_webset Offline
Posting Freak
(2014-04-20 23:01)san7a Wrote:  Plugin threw an error for me, using Frodo release and 1.0.4:

Code:
21:46:51 T:6748   DEBUG: XBPyThread::Process - Entering source directory C:\Users\Jason\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\script.sonos
21:46:51 T:6748   ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
                                             - NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
                                            Error Type: <type 'exceptions.NameError'>
                                            Error Contents: global name 'SonosDiscovery' is not defined
                                            Traceback (most recent call last):
                                              File "C:\Users\Jason\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\script.sonos/discovery.py", line 38, in <module>
                                                sonos_devices = Settings.getSonosDiscovery()
                                              File "C:\Users\Jason\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\script.sonos\resources\lib\settings.p​y", line 43, in getSonosDiscovery
                                                return SonosDiscovery()
                                            NameError: global name 'SonosDiscovery' is not defined
                                            -->End of Python script error report<--

Oops! Small bug.

Please can you patch it with the following, please take the following file:

http://robwebset.googlecode.com/svn-hist...ettings.py

And copy it over the top of:

$USERDATA\addons\script.sonos\resources\lib\settings.py

Thanks

Rob

find quote
san7a Offline
Awesome stuff, thanks Rob.
find quote
rob_webset Offline
Posting Freak
Version 1.0.5 has now been published with the discovery fix included.

Rob

find quote
bry- Offline
Donor
@rob_webset - I stumbled upon this and figured you may be interested. Not exactly sure how useful this may be to you: https://medium.com/p/48edd2b40cc
find quote
rob_webset Offline
Posting Freak
(2014-04-23 14:43)bry- Wrote:  @rob_webset - I stumbled upon this and figured you may be interested. Not exactly sure how useful this may be to you: https://medium.com/p/48edd2b40cc

Thanks bry-

An interesting read - I made use of Wireshark when I was developing the addon as well - and have made use of the SoCo scripts referenced from the article.

The main problem I have at the moment is trying to work out how actively the Sonos addon is being used. I guess a few people are using it based on comments posted, donations etc. That is why I decided to "pause" development and only investigate things that people post requests for - if they are possible of course!

Rob

find quote
thos Offline
Hey Rob,
Nice work on this, I havent had a chance to look at it since 1.0.1 and it's looking good!

Next Track and view of Playlist would be good.

I'd really love to see the album art, and ideally use some of the other add-ons for artwork visuals etc, not sure how possible that bit is though.

Keep up the good work!

Tom
find quote
rob_webset Offline
Posting Freak
(2014-04-24 13:19)thos Wrote:  I havent had a chance to look at it since 1.0.1 and it's looking good!

Lots of new things have gone in since then!

Code:
- Mini Sonos controller added with album art
- Add plugin support for browsing the music library
- Add plugin support for view and edit the current play queue
- Add Favourite Radio Stations support

May be worth you trying the latest version!

(2014-04-24 13:19)thos Wrote:  Next Track and view of Playlist would be good.

I was having some issues getting the "Next track" reliably when I last tried it - wouldn't get the correct one if the system was set to play random.

(2014-04-24 13:19)thos Wrote:  I'd really love to see the album art, and ideally use some of the other add-ons for artwork visuals etc, not sure how possible that bit is though.

The mini-player does have album art. I did give some thought to making use of Artist Slideshow but never got round to it, maybe I should revisit that part.

Rob

find quote
thos Offline
Sorry, it was latest version I was looking at, so comparing latest to 1.0.1 was the nice part!

I'll check again why I wasnt seeing artwork, it was playing off my iPhone, so I'll try some local content too

+1 for the Artist Slideshow Wink
find quote
rob_webset Offline
Posting Freak
(2014-04-24 19:27)thos Wrote:  Sorry, it was latest version I was looking at, so comparing latest to 1.0.1 was the nice part!

I'll check again why I wasnt seeing artwork, it was playing off my iPhone, so I'll try some local content too

+1 for the Artist Slideshow Wink

Should have also mentioned - you should have access to the current playlist by going via the "addon" options from the Music Menu.

Rob

find quote
phire Offline
(2014-04-16 06:58)jon12345 Wrote:  - if you already have sonos, each XBMC instance becomes another zone

I also would love to see this type of integration (and yes im aware this type of functionality is not the current focus of this project!)
find quote
micnda Offline
(2014-05-13 22:34)phire Wrote:  
(2014-04-16 06:58)jon12345 Wrote:  - if you already have sonos, each XBMC instance becomes another zone

I also would love to see this type of integration (and yes im aware this type of functionality is not the current focus of this project!)

+ 1 for this as well.
find quote