Are all Haswell processors created equal?
I am at the point of re-building my HTPC. I want to rebuild my system with a simple i3 LGA1150 (Haswell) processor and a decent corresponding MB.

For the MB, I am looking at the Asrock Z87M Extreme 4
My reasons for this board are
  • CIR Header
  • 7.1 Audio
  • 3D 1080P
  • SATA III
  • Doesn't break the bank
My question is, are all i3 Haswell processors equally capable of producing the video and audio that I am after? If not, which of them should I be looking at, and which should I be staying away from?

For your consideration, this is a dedicated HTPC in a media server rack. I have no interest in anything beyond streaming tv/movies from my NAS to this XBMC box. I'll be reusing my SSD and current RAM. I have no interest in wifi.

Additionally, I am considering using OpenELEC this time around, so if I have missed anything that would prevent OE from working, I'm all ears!

Thanks!

TRP
XBMC Gotham via OpenElec 5.0.8
ASRock H87M-ITX
I3-4330 Haswell CPU
64GB SSD ADATA
4GB Team Elite DDR3
MI-008 Case
unRAID 5disks 18TB of awesome
Choose your desired TDP and pricetag.

Will you be streaming Netflix and so forth?

If the mobo handles 7.1 sound and 3D 1080P you may not be in need for a CPU at all? ;-)
The 4th Gen Core i3/5/7 CPUs all share the same Clear-Video engine and so will accelerate playback all the same way.

So the cheapest i3 you can get, will do the job.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_...generation

Also, look up the CPU in the ARK:

http://ark.intel.com/

Some of them are better than others, but all the Haswell (celeron to i7) are going to use hardware decoding about the same, its when you turn that off that you will see a big difference.

As stated above, get the cheapest, lowest power, coolest i3 you can. Smile

**Decoding 3D takes a little extra effort, that usually gets a recommendation to step up to an i3, so again, you are probably set with any of them.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Are all Haswell processors created equal?0