Solved Shared MySQL Library, why network source needed?
Sorry if this question might sound stupid, but I don't get it.

Given I run a main box (NFS server + MySQL + XBMC) and some RPi box, both linux, both have the media files mounted in the very same path (the main box locally, the RPi via NFS), so local source paths are identical, 1:1.

Why is it required that the sources need to be network sources for MySQL library sharing?

I failed to get XBMC nfs:// source to work on my main box, so just out of curiosity I tried using local paths and a NFS mount on the RPi client (with -o soft etc). It seems to work just fine. I just wonder what the issue might be.
No issue, it's just a matter of ensuring the path is correct for each XBMC instance. Technically speaking, you are using a local path, but it's still something that is accessing a network share. The wording could probably be cleaned up a little bit to help clarify this. In any case, there should be no issue with your setup.
Oh, and I do think it does say something about avoiding network sources as local drives, but that's mainly to avoid issues when you mix different OSes.
Thanks for the clarification, Ned. The wording in the wiki indeed leads a bit to a common sense that this isn't possible at all, at least I found various threads in other forums where people had a similar "same OS everywhere" setup and thought it just isn't going to work. The RPi benefits of some fine grained NFS mount options, so it's good that it does work, actually.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Shared MySQL Library, why network source needed?0