i.MX6 Quad or intel Haswell?
(2014-01-14, 08:54)novamax Wrote: But when I met up with friends for a video night, they don't bring their NAS or hdd to check if I can read their formats. When friends give me a movie as a present, people don't want to hand me a download link. When my girl-friend wants to browse the shelves of a local movie rental with friends, she doesn't want to rely on me ripping the disc for 30 minutes before they can start the movie. Apparently, the stores still are filled with discs because people buy them.

- It is only a matter of time for the movie rental store to close down. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-11-06...tores.html

- You don't want to wait 30 minutes to start the movie, but forgot about the 30 minutes it took to go to the store, and come back again.

- Everything else you said could have substituted the word "movie" or "disc" for "Music CD".

- Your music night, will be with people sharing their iPod tunes - not discs. People do buy an iTunes voucher instead of giving people a CD. You can't buy the CD from the shelf anymore.

If you want to keep your nostalgia glasses superglued to your nose, then get a mini-ITX motherboard, with an Intel chip, and a small case with a BluRay drive.

Don't forget the cleaning cloth.
(2014-01-14, 17:57)joelbaby Wrote: [quote='novamax' pid='1599761' dateline='1389682488']
People do buy an iTunes voucher instead of giving people a CD.
Word - some do.
(2014-01-14, 08:54)novamax Wrote: You can't buy the CD from the shelf anymore.
Well - I can, here where I live - And I am glad about it, although I also own an NAS and stream MP3s.
(2014-01-14, 08:54)novamax Wrote: If you want to keep your nostalgia glasses superglued to your nose
Don't you think that sounds a little single-sided...? I am not trying to convince you to abandon your files, nor to also use discs. I am not even saying I don't appreciate the same streaming and online file stores you do (apart from iTunes - I'm allergic to Apples). I am merely saying that, when I open my eyes, I still see CDs in the shelves, and DVDs and Blurays. And I interact with people that are not (yet?) exclusive HTPC-users - Both of which I do not want to exclude from my world. So I cannot see why you put the means of selective perception on my nose...

(2014-01-14, 08:54)novamax Wrote: , then get a mini-ITX motherboard, with an Intel chip, and a small case with a BluRay drive.
OK, back to topic. So you recommend an internal drive in an mini-ITX case over an external for a NUC?
Both should be fine, really. I find external drives to be a bit noisy though, but I might be wrong (I've never done a direct comparison).
Thanks, that helps. Maybe the case shield some noise... But it sounds like a drive is no killer for a NUC setup, then. Hope, the Bay Trail hits Germany soon Smile
Have you checked if the NUC is available in other EU countries yet?
Ordering things in other EU countries actually works pretty well (though I wouldn't know about warranty and such).
Thanks for the hint. Seems, though, several online stores added it yesterday as “out of stock/available January“ for 129€, so i suppose the show its about to start here. I already pre-ordered one Smile
(2014-01-12, 00:24)john.cord Wrote: Real BluRay with Menue is Windows Only. I woul prefer a NUC, maybe the new one with Celeron N2820 (2,4Ghz) Streeprice 130€

where?
LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
AndroidPremiumPlayer blog - HI - Frequency Switcher 
Not sure whom you are citing, but in Germany e.g. here:
http://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/intel...53524.html
Could Haswell celeron (eg N2820) play bluray 3d ?
What about bay-trail cpus?
Thanks
(2014-01-16, 13:09)pszab Wrote: Could Haswell celeron (eg N2820) play bluray 3d ?
What about bay-trail cpus?
Thanks

from Datasheet pentium-n3520-j2850-celeron-n2920-n2820-n2815-n2806-j1850-j1750-datasheet:

Code:
Intel® High Definition (Intel® HD) Graphics
The Intel HD graphics controller features the following:
•HDMI 1.4
•3D graphics hardware acceleration supporting DirectX*11, OCL 1.2, OGL ES Halti/2.0/1.1, OGL 3.2
•Video decode hardware acceleration supporting H.264, MPEG2, MVC, VC-1, WMV9 and VP8 formats
•Video encode hardware acceleration supporting H.264, MPEG2 and MVC formats
•High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) 1.4/2.1 support for content protection

Stereoscopic Support on HDMI
Processor display supports HDMI 1.4 3D video formats. If the HDMI panel is detected to
support 3D video format then the SW driver will program Pipe2dB for the correct pipe
timing parameters.
The left and right frames can be loaded from independent frame buffers in the main
memory. Depending on the input S3D format, the display controller can be enabled do
perform frame repositioning, image scaling, line interleaving.

SW driver ....work on linux? Confused
LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
AndroidPremiumPlayer blog - HI - Frequency Switcher 
I'm surprised, as I know before Haswell/BayTrail the Celeron, Pentium and Core i3 products were not able to handle 3D...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
i.MX6 Quad or intel Haswell?0